“Best catering ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of El Paragua

El Paragua
Ranked #1 of 48 Restaurants in Espanola
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Boston, Massachusetts
“Best catering ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2014

If we could give this place 10 stars, let alone a Michelin star, we would. We have eaten at the restaurant and found the food to be a stand-out example of how good New Mexican food can be. This review is for the catering, however. We got married very close to Espanola in Chimayo and wanted to serve our guests (who were mostly from the East Coast) true New Mexican food. El Paragua did not disappoint! They were wonderful to work with throughout the whole process and were extremely understanding when we had to change the menu a few time to accommodate vegetarian guests. On the day of the wedding they were extremely professional and handled difficult situations with grace. The food itself was delicious - they even made tortillas and fajitas on site! Overall, this experience made us want to return to the restaurant over and over again in the years to come. We even stopped for tacos on the way out of town on our honeymoon! Thank you for everything!

Catonsville, Maryland
“Best meal and atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2014

After a long drive into New Mexico from Colorado Springs we were famished and looking forward to an authentic Mexican experience. El Paragua did not disappoint. We were seated quickly in the most lovely, quaint little room, waited on immediately and served warm, home made tortilla chips with three kinds of home made salsa. My Marguerita was one of the best I've ever had.The menu was extensive, we each picked something different from it and we each agreed it was the best Mexican meal and atmosphere we have ever experienced. Then they brought out the sopapillas with plum jam made nearby. No room for dessert.
We liked it, so much, that we returned to their outdoor restaurant, El Parasol, for a take-home meal after a day at the Ojo Caliente spa. Of the three nights we stayed in the area we ate here for two of them. Wonderful!

Australia
“Lost in Margaritaville!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2014

Happened here by chance after indulging too long at nearby hot springs and missing Santa Fe dinner reservations. My husband is Chinese and doesn't like Mexican food, bring him the steamed veggies and rice which they were able to do along with trout almondine which he said was good tasting and portions large. I am not really familiar with Mexican, but my enchilada with mushroom sauce had me almost licking the plate. they make all their own chips and tortillas on an old stove in the restaurant, right beside a massive tree that looks like the building was built around. Great atmosphere, nice service, very friendly in fact, and did I tell you their margaritas were some of the best ever tasted. More expensive than taco johns of course, but atmosphere, service, homemade tortillas and salsas....and the fluffy Sopapillas, oh man.....why wouldn't you pay more for a memorable night. Read other reviews, I hate cold food and ours was piping hot and the plate warmed. Excellent, memorable!!!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Poor Service High Prices”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2014

I have eaten here once and will never come back again. The food took forever, came out cold, and once I sent it back it took even longer to come back. Needless to say I was afraid to eat it, and left hungry. I will not return. They are clearly under staffed, poorly trained, and way over priced. I would not recommend this place.

Visited May 2014
Lubbock, Texas
“Great accidental discovery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

Good news bad news.
Having driven for hours getting to Santa Fe, looking so forward to lunch at The Tecolote, only to discover it was Closed. Hopefully not forever!
Onward to Espanola, saw sign for El Paragua , took a chance.
Great service, calm atmosphere, then a great menu to choose from. The hit of the day was carne adovada. My husband was impressed, and enjoyed it thoroughly.
My fajitas were tender and flavor was authentic New Mexico cuisine. Makayla had a burrito which was huge, and she raved about it and if course the dophilliss!!! ( spell check won't let me write the word for the puffy thing you put honey in, they were delicious!!
I'd definitely go back ,