“Japanese food in Espanola” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 48 Restaurants in Espanola
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Families with children
Espanola, New Mexico, United States
“Japanese food in Espanola”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

When you are surrounded by nothing but fast food restaurants and Mexican food its refreshing to have something new in town. Although their sushi is not the best I've ever eaten it is decent and they also serve gyosas and a tofu rice bowl for us vegetarians. The best roll I've had is the Mew Mexico roll with green chili tempura, roasted bell peppers, avocado and spicy mayo (and no shrimp for the vegetarian).

• Visited September 2013

espanola
“Really? This is good?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

Soup was good, but sushi was average. Fish was room temperature and not cold. Sushi wasn't wrapped tight. Chicken teriyaki didn't have any flavor. We used half a bottle of soy sauce just to get flavor. Place was 1/4 full, but everybody still frazzled. We spent 60 bucks for average food and left hungry. Maybe it was an off night, but I don't think so. Sorry guys. Maybe we will try it again another time, but for now we will drive to Santa Fe for sushi rolls.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Los Alamos, New Mexico
“Worth the drive!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

I live in Los Alamos and love oriental food. We have two chinese restaurants in town and in my opinion they both suck. I've been to Jo Ji's twice now, tried the habatchi grill...Excellant. I tried the chicken teriyaki...Excellant. When I feel like eating oriental food, I will definitly head for Jo Ji's

• Visited May 2012
4 Thank jnocaed1
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Amazing -- should be #1 in Espanol.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2012

I never intended to eat here, but I have friends who grew up eating sushi and who prepare it themselves. They ate here and loved it.

I tried and loved it and go back frequently. If you don't want raw seafood, they also have a wide variety of rolls with cooked seafood. My favorite is soft shelled crab.

Everyone loves the shrimp spring roll. As noted in the first review -- they also have the Japanese steak house type foot but I have never tried it here. The other food is just too good.

• Visited March 2012
3 Thank anytourist
Thomasville, Georgia
“An actual jewel in the New Mexico mountains”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2012

I stumbled across this restaurant the other day. Great sushi is a prize dinner in my book and Jo Ji's is that prize. A small restaurant, but for the neighborhood sized perfectly, that has a menu with many options for all. There are several hibachi tables as well, which I did not try, but every seat was full the week night I had dinner here.

My Sushi was expertly prepared and as fresh as any I have ever had.

Thanks Jo Ji's.

• Visited February 2012
3 Thank Steve C

Been to Jo Ji's Sushi and Teppan Grill? Share your experiences!