“Great Experience-Great Hotel-Awesome Staff”

and 1 more site!
Santa Claran Hotel Casino
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Espanola
Colorado
“Great Experience-Great Hotel-Awesome Staff”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I booked 4 rooms for a weekend stay for/with my parents and sisters. We were not disappointed from the moment we checked in -- to the moment we left. We've stayed at Buffalo Thunder near Santa Fe and have been very disappointed in those accommodations, so for this excursion, we decided to try the Santa Claran. The staff was simply professional, personable and accommodating. The rooms were exceptionally clean and nice. Granted it wasn't peak season, but we didn't have a noise issue or rowdy guests to deal with. The casino restaurant provided good experiences for both breakfast and dinner. They had no problem seating 8 of us. The food and prices were average but better than most casino restaurants. The casino was nice to play in, though smokey at times.

Traveling with my elderly parents and a variety of palates (2 vegans in the group) can be a challenge in locating an ideal set of accommodations. We had such an enjoyable time that we hope to go again in spring. Book your room over the phone vs through the options given on TripAdvisor (sorry TA). According to the online options, there were no available rooms for the weekend we were trying to book. We got great rates as well.

I highly recommend this destination and hotel/casino.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Juan Carlos U, General Manager at Santa Claran Hotel Casino, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear TrujiTravelers:

Thank you for taking the time to write this great review about our property. Here at the Santa Claran We take a lot of pride in the level of services we provide to our guests. I am glad to learn that we were able to achieved this with you during your stay.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for this honest recap of your experience with us. I will personally be looking forward to your next visit to be able to meet you and thank you then.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
thompsons station
Reviewed November 2, 2013

I didn't think while traveling around New Mexico on vacation that we would actually stay at a Casino Hotel, but after reading the TripAdvisor reviews it seemed like in Espanola this was the place. I'd say it was a good call. The place is really really nice! Room was great. Bed was great. Only issue was, we were in room 617, top level, and there was some sort of mechanical "hum" from the roof (?) or was it from the room next door (?) that was annoying. Despite the annoying hum, really enjoyed staying here.

Room Tip: Don't land in Room 617 due to the "hum".
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank dcloyd
Dear Dcloyd:

I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart for your review. We do take a lot of pride in the level of service we provide to our guests, but for me to received this review on a Monday, definitively it was a great way to start a week. Please consider us as your extended family in Española and personally I wish we keep it up in a way that next time you visit or drive by Española and stay with us we can impress you even more! Looking forward to your next visit!
Rice VA
Reviewed October 28, 2013

The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. However, the noise level was a bit much. For one thing, the doors don't close gradually and quietly - they thud loudly - not just the one in your room.....you can hear doors closing up and down the hallway. I was woken up several times as a result. And the area does not appear to be very safe and secure. There were sirens and loud shouting in the parking lot. There are also no complimentary breakfast or coffee which I've become accustomed to - at least the coffee. However, there is a Starbucks on site. And don't bother going into the smokey casino - very bleak with few (if any) winners.

Room Tip: If there are rooms away from the street, they may be more quiet than those facing the street.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Juan Carlos U, General Manager at Santa Claran Hotel Casino, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
At the Santa Claran Hotel & Casino, we take pride in the service and experience we provide our guests. I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review as it allows us the opportunity to address issues that we were not quite aware of.

I am sorry that you were not able to sleep because of the noise level that goes into our rooms. Our intentions are to ensure that all of our guests receive a great experience while staying on our property, so we will take a look at addressing the issue immediately. Although we conveniently have a coffee bar in our lobby that features Starbucks coffee, please know that we also have coffee (caffeinated and decaffeinated) available in each of our rooms.

Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to improve the quality of service and experience for our guests. We hope to make your next visit, great!

Regards,
Juan Carlos Urrutia, General Manager
Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

Took a chance and went for it. The rooms are big and luxurious. The staff in all departments are friendly and truly genuine. I didn't use the casino but the hotel part is top notch. Nice coffee bar in the lobby with Starbucks products. This is a gorgeous property in Espanola New Mexico north of Santa Fe .

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Alcandriver
Juan Carlos U, General Manager at Santa Claran Hotel Casino, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
I want to thank you for your recent review of our gorgeous property in Espanola, New Mexico. At the Santa Claran Hotel, we take pride on ensuring that our guests receive a great experience and get the opportunity to meet our wonderful staff. I am glad to hear that you were able to enjoy our big and luxurious rooms, as well as, our coffee bar in the lobby featuring Starbucks Coffee products.

I am glad that you took a chance and won a great experience! We look forward to your next stay!

Juan Carlos Urrutia, General Manager
La Crosse, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 28, 2013

As others have said, the rooms are clean and lovely, especially the shower.
But, what is the primary purpose of a room? To me it's a comfortable night's sleep.
This is the ONLY hotel/motel bed I could not sleep in properly. It felt like a concrete slab with a 2" diameter pipe in the small of my back. We were only able to sleep for a few minutes at a time before needing to shift position.
I asked the desk clerk if other matress firmness types were available, she seemed to have no idea what I was asking.
We were booked for a second night and ended up sleeping sideways on the bed, my feet hanging over the end. We were able to sleep through the night.
Upon arrival the desk had no record of my reservation, it was in a three ring binder but the number had been copied incorrectly into the reception computer.
Our second day, I sent my wife to order breakfast and call when it was served. They couldn't get through, and it was only because I had put a load in the car that I walked over. Back in the room, the phone seemed to ve working fine.
No exhaust fan in the bathroom, poor air circulation in general. Sink is not designed with a stopper, so can't fill it to wash or shave.

Room Tip: Higher floors have small balconies.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Donald E A
Juan Carlos U, General Manager at Santa Claran Hotel Casino, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Mr Donald E A,
My sincerest apologies for your bad experience with our Hotel. Our goal is to have our guests leave with a great experience and look forward to their next stay with us. A part of accomplishing that is listening to our guests. I truly appreciate your feedback and will address your concerns and look at ways to ensure that these issues are addressed.

Again, I want to express my sincerest apologies and hope that you give us another opportunity to make up for your bad experience.

Kindest Regards,
Juan Carlos Urrutia, GM
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed August 22, 2013

rooms are wonderful! large & spacious, luxury beds and bedding. marvelous bathroom with double shower, we felt pampered! Staff was really friendly fast at bringing extra towels. this would be a great place to stay and take day trips around the Santa Fe area. Price was very reasonable and there was absolutely no smoking smell that a previous review had noted. We didn't have the time to go to the adjoining restaurant but others we travelled with said it was good. We would definately stay here again!

Room Tip: We were on 4th floor. it was very quiet. you never knew there was a casino close by.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Juan Carlos U, General Manager at Santa Claran Hotel Casino, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Greetings "2wheeltravelr",
I want you to know that I truly appreciate your review. We take great pride in creating an overall great experience for our guests. In building this property, space was important in creating that comfy, warm and spacious feeling and I am glad that you were able to enjoy it. I am also glad that you were also able to notice our efforts in addressing the smoke issues as noted in previous reviews. In order to create a great experience for our guests, we make every effort to listen to the feedback and make minor changes to improve.
Again, thank you for taking the time to write a review and I hope you will be able to join us soon.

Kingest Regards,
Juan Carlos Urrutia, GM
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We enjoyed eating at this restaurant. The featured dinner was Prime Rib. I usually opt for prime rib wherever I find it so opting for it was a no-brainer for me.
Excellent! nice sized cut served medium rare just the way I like it. My wife had the baby lamb chops which were also delicious.
There had been a high end restaurant here in the casino named Black Mesa, it is now closed. Since that closure, the Café restaurant has improved a great deal. Prices are a bit high but the food was really worth it. Casino comps can compensate.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Juan Carlos U, General Manager at Santa Claran Hotel Casino, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Two2hams,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate our guest's feedback as it allows us to see what we are doing right and things that need improvement on. I am glad that you enjoyed eating in our restaurant. Our Cafe Management has made many changes to the menu since the closing of the Black Mesa Steakhouse. Many staff that used to work at our Steakhouse now work at our Cafe. So, the quality of food has gotten a lot better as well.
We look forward to your next visit!

Regards,
Juan Carlos Urrutia, Hotel GM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Espanola
Cities of Gold Casino Hotel
Hampton Inn & Suites Los Alamos
The Lodge at Santa Fe
The Lodge at Santa Fe
#34 of 60 in Santa Fe

Been to Santa Claran Hotel Casino? Share your experiences!