“Definite Stay Recommended”

Santa Claran Hotel Casino
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Espanola
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Espanola has charm and at times gives the traveler the impression that the hustle and bustle of everyday life have managed to pass it by. And so your thought of a modern, updated casino hotel may not really click in your mind. But viola', welcome to Santa Claran Hotel. Very nice rooms and bathrooms, large by any standard and if fortunate a view of a beautiful mountain range.
Accomodations are Native American themed and hospitality is definitely open and honest New Mexican.
Absolutely a visit recommended if you are in sleepy Espanola.

Room Tip: Ask for view of mountains when making reservations.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Louisjuly20
Juan Carlos U, General Manager at Santa Claran Hotel Casino, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Dear Louisjuly

Thank you very much for your review and rating. I am glad to learn that you loved your experience with us. I really enjoyed your review. Here at the Santa Claran Hotel our mission is based on the pueblo's cultural traits of warmth, friendship and hospitality. We take pride in creating "experiences" for our guest and I am glad to learn we achieved that with you.

Please come back soon, We will be pleased to have you with us again in the near future.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

This is a very beautiful hotel and actually my second time staying there. The staff this stay was way friendlier than the first time. The rooms were comfortable, clean and we had an end room, so it was nice and quiet. The hallways smell of smoke, which is understandable due to it being connected to the casino, but they should do something about the ventalation. It is one of the better hotels in Espanola, NM.

Room Tip: Rooms at the end of hallway are quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank June V
Juan Carlos U, General Manager at Santa Claran Hotel Casino, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear June V

Thank you for choosing Santa Claran Hotel Casino for your recent visit to Española!

I am honored you took some of your valuable time to write you experience with us. Your observations regarding the smell of smoke in the hallways are very much appreciated as they help us to improve the service and facilities to better serve you.

I hope you give us the opportunity to serve you again in the near future and continue to enjoy the understated elegance & warming hospitality of the Pueblo!

Reviewed January 28, 2013

This hotel is gourgeous. The staff is great and the casino that is attached to it makes it better. I was not aware of this great hotel. They also are partners of Black Mesa Golf Course. The course is challenging but amaizing at the same time! If you are planning a visit to Santa Fe, or you are in transit you need to stop.

Room Tip: the higher the better.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Juan Carlos U, General Manager at Santa Claran Hotel Casino, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Dear Bambalan

Thank you for choosing Santa Claran Hotel Casino for your recent business visit to Española!
I am honored to learn of your kind comments regarding the property and staff and I must agree with you, the Santa Claran Hotel and Casino is a gem. Every detail of this breathtaking property has an inspiration and I’m delighted you enjoyed them.

I will share your comments with all, including with our partners at Black Mesa Golf course. On your next visit, take some time to enjoy another of our inspiring partners, Puye Cliffs Dwellings, a place that is truly between heaven and earth.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

This is a beautiful property, one of the nicest hotels in the area. The front desk staff was very kind and friendly. The Starbuck's in the lobby is convenient. The beds are comfortable. AC/heat system is quiet....not a window unit like many hotels. This is my second visit to The Santa Claran. I have stayed there a total of about 3 weeks this year. The hallways do smell like smoke due to the hotel being connected to the casino which allows smoking. There is a laundry for guests, but the washer was out of order for days. It was windy during our stay which apparently effected TV reception as our digital signal would break up constantly. Some shows were impossible to follow as the signal would stop for 5 to 10 seconds at a time constantly. Our room was on the back side of the second floor and any possible decent view of the Rio Grande was blocked by what appeared to be a useless decorative wall. Given the amount of business our company has given The Santa Claran this past year, I would not have expected the room with the blocked view.The wireless internet is sporadic and requires reconnecting constantly. The room was not vacuumed when it was cleaned during our 4 day stay. My first visit to the Santa Claran was better than this most recent stay. I would have to consider other hotels in the area on any future visit.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Dan S
Juan Carlos U, General Manager at Santa Claran Hotel Casino, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

Dear Dan S

First of all I want to thank you for your kind comments regarding our property, services and the amenities that we proudly provide.

I am discouraged to learn that your recent experience with us fell short of your expectations from your previous stays. I value your comments regarding room location, housekeeping services and other observations as they are vital feedback to improve the services and amenities to better serve you. New procedures are in place to avoid similar situations to affect other guests and of course yourself on your next visit

I hope this experience does not deter your from returning and give us the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

We stayed at this hotel, as a stopover on a trip. We weren't interested in the casino part, but just the accomodations. The rooms are very nice, luxury-level bathrooms and bedding. There was no smoking in the hotel rooms, but that didn't make any difference. Any time a person walked down the hallway from the casino, they brought the intensive smoke from the casino into the hotel with them. Consequently, the smoke seeps into the rooms under the doors and every time the door is opened. I would not recommend and will not return.

Room Tip: No room will be without smoke.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Doughgirl81
Juan Carlos U, General Manager at Santa Claran Hotel Casino, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Dear Doughgirl81

First of all I want to thank you for taking some of your valuable time to write your comments regarding your stay.

I took the opportunity to read your review and I am disappointed to learn your experience fell short of a perfect rating. We take comments to heart, and yours will help us improve the services, facilities and amenities we provide every day.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Probably the nicest hotel on our bike trip to Santa Fe, Taos, and Espanola. Spacious room. Great bathroom and shower. Excellent meal in their Black Mesa Restaurant. But be careful with their 99 cent breakfast; you must register with the casino first and then each person must sign his/her own voucher. Otherwise, a great hotel.

Room Tip: Either side of the hotel faces the mountains. Ask for a high floor. I think the back faces the mount...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank rlcycle

Dear Rlcycle

Thank you for choosing Santa Claran Hotel Casino for your visit to Española!
I had the opportunity to read your reviews and while I’m delighted to learn that you enjoyed our luxurious facilities I am concerned about your feelings towards marketing pitch to become member of our grand Casino.

The Casino often provides special offers and perks to new and current members. And while we would love for every guest to enjoy the benefits our Casino has to offer by becoming a member, we hope it does not deter you from enjoying our beautiful Casino or breakfasts offered in our restaurant.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

I stayed one night, using a coupon for a free night that I received from a local golf course. The hotel was clean and comfortable, and my room was large with a huge bathroom. If I had to knock one thing about the room I would say it was dark, even with most of the lights on. Even the bathroom sink area could have used more lighting. But outside of that, it was very nice and very comfortable.
As part of the golf package I received a $50 gift certificate at the steak house located in the casino next door. Unfortunately, the steak house was closed on the night I stayed. The desk staff made arrangements for me to use my gift certificate in the cafe located in the casino. Now honestly the cafe food was not great (if you eat there I suggest sticking with burgers or sandwiches) but the fact that they went out of their way to help was important. And since I did not spend my entire $50 on dinner, the cafe staff allowed me to use the balance for breakfast in the morning. Again, something they probably did not have to do but they did in order to make the customer happy. Nice.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank LittleBoyBrew

Dear LittleBoyBrew

Thank you for choosing Santa Claran Hotel Casino for your visit to Española!
I had the opportunity to read your review of your recent stay, and I feel much honored by your words. Your comments reflect the commitment that we strive for, to make each guest feel warmly at home.

Warm regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Espanola
Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder
La Fonda on the Plaza
#6 of 60 in Santa Fe
Ohkay Casino Resort Hotel
Ohkay Casino Resort Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ohkay Owingeh (San Juan Pueblo)

Been to Santa Claran Hotel Casino? Share your experiences!