“Hotel + Casino, not a good combo” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Santa Claran Hotel Casino

Santa Claran Hotel Casino
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Espanola
Brooklyn, New York
“Hotel + Casino, not a good combo”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

My accommodations were beautiful, the staff was pleasant but when an agitated man started banging on my door, screaming his friends name in the middle of the night I was on my own. After calling the front desk and being assured they would take care of the matter it happened again, twice. Then someone banged on my door the following morning, making it clear the culprit was never escorted from the hotel. When I asked the front desk what happened they stated the obvious, "it was a drunk guest looking for his friend". Why hadn't they called the police? They didn't know. And I was given no reassurances that the guest was gone and that I wouldn't be harassed another night. They apologized for the inconvenience, but this was much more than an inconvenience, I was harassed and scared and they did nothing about it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank thepassenger_brklyn
Juan Carlos U, General Manager at Santa Claran Hotel Casino, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Thepassenger_brklyn

First of all I want to thank you for taking some of your valuable time to write your comments regarding your stay.

I am disappointed to learn that your experience with us did not meet your expectations. I will share your review with our Security Department in order to proactively and efficiently improve the services we provide to our guests.

I hope this experience does not deter your from returning and give us the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Warm regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Denver, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Hadn't stayed in Espanola for more than a decade...this is the best place hands down between Taos and Santa Fe. The bathroom was huge...great towels...excellent shower. Well appointed bedrooms...heavy drapes...nice TV...lightning quick wifi. The only thing the room needed was a small light in the nicho where the coffeemaker was located...probably a moot point since there's a Starbucks downstairs ;)

As for the staff at the front desk, they were phenomenal. Very friendly and accomodating. Also had a good experience at the sports bar...many TVs and huge portions of food. The cafe was okay...good service but food a little overpriced.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chinobalam
Dear Chinobalam

Thank you for choosing Santa Claran Hotel Casino for your visit to Española!

I had the opportunity to read your comment regarding your stay and I am honored to learn that your experience at the Santa Claran Hotel Casino was a pleasant surprise. Your kind comments will be shared with all, especially with our front desk.

I hope you give us the opportunity to serve you again in the near future and continue to enjoy the understated elegance & warming hospitality of the Pueblo!

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

Stayed here one night while on business in Espanola and found the hotel to be a good place to stay. The hotel feels rather new and is very clean. All of the staff I encountered were friendly and helpful. Had dinner in the Sports bar and the food was fine, nothing spectaular but it is what you would expect at a hotel sports bar. The room (standard king) was very large, well appointed, quiet and again clean. The bed was very nice as were the pillows. There were two bottles of water in the room, which was a nice touch. The bathroom was very large with nice towels. Water pressure was great as was the shower. Starbucks in the lobby which was great! A good place to stay while in Espanola.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Rod A
Thank you for choosing Santa Claran Hotel Casino for your business visit in Española!

I am delighted that your experience with us was a memorable one and that you enjoyed our facilities as well as the services provided by our staff. Whether is for business or pleasure, Santa Claran Hotel offers each guest pleasant comfort to make you feel right at home.

Thomasville, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2012

Once again I want all those planning a stay in Espanola New Mexico, there is but one choice where to stay and this is it. If you look back through my reviews you will find I stay in hotels all over the United States. This is the finest ever.

In my extended stay time here the staff and management of this hotel consistently went out of their way to make my stay perfect. I was lucky enough to get to stay in one of the suites and it can only be described as incredible. Espanola, NM has some of the best views you can imagine, and some beautiful Sunsets if you get the West side.

You owe it to yourself to drive here and spend the night. Try to catch one of the festivals or the wineries in the area, I can not tell you my favorite because I can't decide yet.

Everyone of the staff deserves recognition.

Espanola, Santa Claran, I thank you for a great visit and a restful stay.

Room Tip: Throw a dart, they are all so quiet and awesome beds...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Steve C
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2012

Our geology course through northern New Mexico included this hotel/casino stop along the way. The hotel is non-smoking but I can assure you that you will smell stale smoke when you enter the lobby of the hotel. The doors connecting the casino to the lobby just can't stop the smell from penetrating. However, once you are out of the lobby and onto the hotel floors, it disappears. We were leery when we entered but we had a room on the 3rd floor and it was clean and comfortable and we had a great night's sleep. The hotel staff was excellent and very helpful. We were told that an outdoor pool was going to be built in the future. Great stop if you are in the area and the friendly bar between the hotel and casino has cold beer and specials!

Room Tip: high floor
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank peanutsNewYork
Basalt, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2012

We came to Espanola to play golf at Black Mesa and decided to stay here because of its proximity to the course hoping it would be a cut above the other hotels in the area. It was! That said... there's not a lot to choose from in the town. The hotel houses both a casino and a bowling alley. We happened to arrive Saturday afternoon on Cinco de Mayo and the place was jumpin!! However we were checked in right away by a very pleasant employee and directed to our room which was quit nice. With a standard king bed it was decorated in what I'd call typical upscale southwestern and had a large bathroom with double sinks, granite counters and a spacious shower but no bathtub. I appreciated the light blocking curtains, the comfortable bed and pillows, that the coffee maker was in a small alcove just outside the bathroom (saving valuable counter space) and how quiet the room was. I did not appreciate the satellite tv which was slow to respond to channel changes, pron to pixilation and had limited selections, the low water pressure in the shower or that there was NO room service. I'm not a casino person so I won't comment on that nor did I visit the bowling alley. The "cafe" adjacent to the casino is the only restaurant we tried and I would not recommend it. Although the service was fine the food was average to below average. We walked into the sports bar but it was REALLY loud and filled with equally loud clientele; not our thing! They do have a Starbucks in the lobby but it closes at 2 in the afternoon :-(. All in all, it's a perfectly nice place to stay with nice people but I'd probably choose another venue if I ever want to play golf in the area again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Baton Rouge, LA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012

We just returned from a visit to Espanola where we stayed in the Santa Claran Hotel. My wife and I were pleasaantly surprised at the spacious accommodations provided by this hotel. Owned and operated by the local pueblo tribe, the Santa Clarans, the rooms are plainly but nicely appointed with modern accoutrements including flat screen TVs and a tiled coffee station in the room. The hotel adjoins the Native American owned and operated casino. Located in the heart of Espanola it is a good starting point for any day trips to Santa Fe, Los Alamos, or Taos. The cost value is outstanding for the average traveler.

Room Tip: I would recommend requestinbg a suite with a balcony. The price is very reasonable and the extra sp...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Espanola
Cities of Gold Casino Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Los Alamos Entrada Park
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#16 of 60 in Santa Fe

Been to Santa Claran Hotel Casino? Share your experiences!