“plesant rooms, fun little casino attached”

Santa Claran Hotel Casino
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Espanola
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
“plesant rooms, fun little casino attached”
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Our geology course through northern New Mexico included this hotel/casino stop along the way. The hotel is non-smoking but I can assure you that you will smell stale smoke when you enter the lobby of the hotel. The doors connecting the casino to the lobby just can't stop the smell from penetrating. However, once you are out of the lobby and onto the hotel floors, it disappears. We were leery when we entered but we had a room on the 3rd floor and it was clean and comfortable and we had a great night's sleep. The hotel staff was excellent and very helpful. We were told that an outdoor pool was going to be built in the future. Great stop if you are in the area and the friendly bar between the hotel and casino has cold beer and specials!

Room Tip: high floor
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank peanutsNewYork

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Basalt, Colorado
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We came to Espanola to play golf at Black Mesa and decided to stay here because of its proximity to the course hoping it would be a cut above the other hotels in the area. It was! That said... there's not a lot to choose from in the town. The hotel houses both a casino and a bowling alley. We happened to arrive Saturday afternoon on Cinco de Mayo and the place was jumpin!! However we were checked in right away by a very pleasant employee and directed to our room which was quit nice. With a standard king bed it was decorated in what I'd call typical upscale southwestern and had a large bathroom with double sinks, granite counters and a spacious shower but no bathtub. I appreciated the light blocking curtains, the comfortable bed and pillows, that the coffee maker was in a small alcove just outside the bathroom (saving valuable counter space) and how quiet the room was. I did not appreciate the satellite tv which was slow to respond to channel changes, pron to pixilation and had limited selections, the low water pressure in the shower or that there was NO room service. I'm not a casino person so I won't comment on that nor did I visit the bowling alley. The "cafe" adjacent to the casino is the only restaurant we tried and I would not recommend it. Although the service was fine the food was average to below average. We walked into the sports bar but it was REALLY loud and filled with equally loud clientele; not our thing! They do have a Starbucks in the lobby but it closes at 2 in the afternoon :-(. All in all, it's a perfectly nice place to stay with nice people but I'd probably choose another venue if I ever want to play golf in the area again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Baton Rouge, LA
Reviewed May 11, 2012

We just returned from a visit to Espanola where we stayed in the Santa Claran Hotel. My wife and I were pleasaantly surprised at the spacious accommodations provided by this hotel. Owned and operated by the local pueblo tribe, the Santa Clarans, the rooms are plainly but nicely appointed with modern accoutrements including flat screen TVs and a tiled coffee station in the room. The hotel adjoins the Native American owned and operated casino. Located in the heart of Espanola it is a good starting point for any day trips to Santa Fe, Los Alamos, or Taos. The cost value is outstanding for the average traveler.

Room Tip: I would recommend requestinbg a suite with a balcony. The price is very reasonable and the extra sp...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Rio Rancho
Reviewed April 25, 2012

I had taken my Husband and some friends for the weekend of March 3rd for his 50th Birthday. We had been here before and we fell in love with the place. We had excelliant service and all the employees were very friendly. We ate at the cafe and the Black Mesa and both were GREAT!!!!!!! We and our friends are planning our next trip up there soon. I tell everybody to go up there and have a Great time, we did.

Room Tip: We had a great room, both times we've been there.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rose A
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed March 24, 2012

Hotel Casino - that should have given us a clue about the type of neighboring room occupants we were going to have at 2, 3 and 4 in the morning. A sleepless night forced us to sleep in. I now understand the 12:00 check out time, it is needed to catch up on the sleep lost due to rowdy, violent and disruptive neighbor occupants. If I learned anything it is to investigate the room availability before allowing them to select for me. If the room would have been on a quieter floor, perhaps the stay would have been tolerable but loss of sleep makes all the good qualities unimportant. Expensive lesson -learned.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank C G
Carlsbad, New Mexico
Reviewed March 24, 2012

This is my second time visiting the Santa Claran Hotel and by far exceeded my expectations. Great staff, clean and comfortable rooms and great service. Thanks again, I will return...

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 22, 2012

This is a lovely, clean property. Staff was very friendly. The hotel is attached to a casino so one would expect a very smoky smelling hotel. This was not at all the case. There are a handful of restaurants to choose from right on the property including a nice steak house called Black Mesa.

The only complaints that I have are 1.) the beds are fairly hard. 2.) not enough mirrors in the room. Makes it challenging for rooms with more than one woman to be able to get ready in the morning. 3) rooms are a little dark. More lights/lamps would be great.

• Stayed March 2012
3 Thank ChantalABQ
Also consider these accommodations in or near Espanola
Cities of Gold Casino Hotel
The Lodge at Santa Fe
The Lodge at Santa Fe
#36 of 60 in Santa Fe
Hampton Inn & Suites Los Alamos

Been to Santa Claran Hotel Casino? Share your experiences!