“Cliff dwellings and surprise on top.”

Puye Cliff Dwellings
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Espanola
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The ancestral home of the Santa Clara people may be visited by guided tour to the ruin sites.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed February 15, 2012

This is a wonderful day trip (including hike, drive, lunch) Don't miss it!

1  Thank Smarty0306
"an excellent guide"
in 4 reviews
"degree view"

Reviewed January 28, 2012

The staff made a two hour history tour come alive and left me wanting more--can't wait to go back

1  Thank Gary D
Reviewed January 24, 2012

We took the "Cliff Tour" to see the cliffside homes from up close. Our guide, Lucretia, was very knowledgeable and gave us lots of information about the people who lived there and about the culture of the Santa Clara Pueblo (whose ancestors would have lived in the cliffs). She also took the time to answer all of our many questions.

The tour was nominally an hour, but as we visited on a weekday in the slow season our guide was able to spend a bit more time with us.

They also offer a tour of the ruins of the village on top of the mesa and an adventure tour which combines both the mesa and cliff dwelling tours. I think the mesa tour would be just as interesting. Participants in the adventure tour also get to see more of the upper levels of the cliff dwellings; I think that's what we would do the next time we visit.

1  Thank mb_vancouver
Reviewed January 22, 2012

me and my little sister went on the most expensive tour 36.00 each person. at first i was a lil uneasy spending almost 80.00 for two tour tickets but within the first 5 min talking to our puye native guide (she was AWESOME) i soon changed my mind. we were allowed to get up close and personal with the cliff dwelling. climbing up the cliffs was extremely cool. allot of the cliff dwelling were in almost perfect condition considering there like 700 years old. the view was insane.there are mountains on each side of the dwellings. our tour guide answered maybe 100 questions of mine. i love history and plenty of questions for the guide but she answered almost every single one of them. if u have small childeren it may not be wise to go as you will have to climb pretty big ladders up the cliff, but when there old enough TAKE THEM. i will when my son is older.

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group
See more reviews
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We took the adventure tour that included the cliff dwellings and the mesa. It was quite the history lesson. The guide was fantastic and very knowledgable. There is still lots of broken pottery on the ground that you could pick up and learn about. It was amazing to see such an undisturbed historical site. The scenery was beautiful. There is definately something unexplainable about the feeling that you get in your soul when you are there. The climb up was a little rough but I'm 52 and I made it with just a couple of rest stops. If you are in decent shape it's no problem. The 2 teenagers and I highly recommend visiting.

2  Thank Cathy C