“Glorious!”
other travelers have booked this property
Artistic sanctuary on six blissful acres...
A lovely adobe home on 6+ acres with outdoor hydrotherapy tub, hammocks, trees, pure tranquilIty. The living room is spacious, big fireplace, beams, traditional adobe.
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Excellent
Artistic sanctuary on six blissful acres...
The living room is spacious, big fireplace, beams, traditional adobe.
Nice size CA King Sleigh bed, with a large picture window and secret door in the main bedroom.
Another shot of the bedroom.
Recycled barn wood used throughout El Sanctuario.  Very tradition, artistic, homey and super clean.
Double rain shower heads for a luxurious shower or use the adjacent soaker tub to relax your muscles
Soaking tub and double rain shower heads for two!
Want a bon fire, have at it!  Enjoy dusk with a nice sized outdoor fire.
The front yard has great views of the Sangre De Cristo mountains.  Summertime views with the monsoon
Artistic touches abound.  An old chapel up the hill is also on the land.
Yes, we get snow!!  Each year is different but you must be prepared in the winter.  Fireplace ready!
Dead of winter!!!
Showtime.
You can't always keep up with the downfall!!
Summertime is the time of flowers and birdsongs and bees.
Great statue of Archangel Raphael adjacent to your own personal outdoor patio.
A local red tail, scouting out the options for breakfast!
The wealth of trees on this land are home to many large and small birds.
A visiting long eared owl!
There are lots of places to rest outdoors.  As the spring comes in, it gets prettier and prettier!
Swings are all around for you to enjoy.  Find the view you want and take a load off!
The views are absolutely gorgeous.  Have a meal outside or sip on some tea or coffee as you lounge.
Sit, relax or sleep in our little adobe house on the hill, complete with 2 queen futons and blankets
Views from the little adobe porch house on the hill.  Ready with 2 futons and blankets.
Lilacs are in full bloom in the early spring.  So fragrant.
Our dome greenhouse filled with goodies.
Some freshly picked radishes from the greenhouse.
Here come the artichokes!
Raspberries are plentiful in the late summer and fall.
The moon is striking when it's full.  Great shadows and plays of light in the sky and on the land.
We've got the best sky in New Mexico.  Sunsets never disappoint.
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Any
Michele D
“Glorious!”
Reviewed October 11, 2017 for a stay in October 2017

This was the most beautiful, serene and peaceful place we've ever stayed in. The grounds are wonderful and the Guesthouse was great. The owner was especially nice and very hospitable. I would recommend staying here to anyone looking for, "that special place".

Oct 22, 2017
Thank you very much Michele! I loved having you and hope you can return again sometime.
NM_Dreame...
Cambridge, MA
“I really, really wanted to love this place...”
Reviewed October 2, 2017 for a stay in September 2017

I found El Santuario on the TripAdvisor vacation rental page for Taos. We had been to Taos many times and stayed in B&Bs and hotels. For this trip, I was looking for a casita or house where we could cook most of our meals, relax, read, maybe paint/draw, and in general unwind. El Santuario looked like the perfect place.

The casita and grounds were beautiful, but they didn't meet our needs. What wasn't apparent from the listing is that this on the edge of Arroyo Seco, farther out from Taos than I expected. Despite being farther from Taos proper, and situated at the end of a winding suburban road, the house is quite close (as the crow flies) to the highway that runs north out of Taos, and we heard traffic noise pretty much all the time. We tried sitting outside to relax a couple of times but the noise made it hard to enjoy the beautiful grounds. It was a lot like being in our quasi-urban backyard at home.

The casita was well equipped with lots of things, but again, not what we really needed. The kitchen was a little kludgy, with almost no counter space and involving the use of many extension cords. Making even eggs and toast was challenging, and involved a hot plate that took up most of the counter. We gave up altogether on preparing any other meals. For me, a vacation rental includes a full (even if small) kitchen. The living room furniture was not laid out well for most purposes, although with rearranging it could have worked much better. The lighting was too low (relative to the seating) for comfortable reading. The only other lighting was the track lights on the high ceiling -- good for general lighting but not for specific tasks. The bedroom was very cozy but again, lighting was problematic.

There was mention in the listing about fresh eggs plus produce from the greenhouse, but we didn't get a chance to sample those.

On the plus side, the bathroom was extremely well set up and there were thoughtful touches like robes and flip flops to use for the outside hot tub, plenty of towels, etc. The casita has beautiful artwork throughout, which we thoroughly enjoyed. The grounds are truly beautiful. The property is in a nice neighborhood. Vivien seemed like a very accommodating host although we didn't get a chance to meet her. The caretaker was pleasant but didn't interact with us very much.

We've booked vacation rentals elsewhere, and had wonderful experiences with all of them. I was so excited about the prospect of staying at El Santuario. I expected to love it, but sadly, I did not.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Oct 3, 2017
Well I'm so sad you couldn't love El Santuario. This is a one off situation as one can see from the many reviews on this and other rental sites.

Your comments involved:

Cooking
In the first paragraph of the house description, I let people know there is a kitchenette, not a full kitchen. I've tried to make it more convenient by adding the outdoor grill and an array of appliances but it isn't a full kitchen. This semi historical place was built and designed by an artist and his first priority wasn't cooking. My suggestion, If you already know that cooking is an important part of your visit, go for a full kitchen and get a different home.

Lighting
All the lighting is on dimmer switches on purpose though it's not dimly lit by most standards when on full blast. It is indirect as it faces the artwork like most track lighting does. This dimming is for ambiance. There are three table lamps in the living room and one on either side of the bed for book reading. I would have gladly provided some other solution had I known you weren't happy with what was provided. Help is always only a text away, but you didn't reach out. I personally don't like really bright reading light overhead in my living and bedroom and that's why I have dimmers in this home. Sorry that wasn't a solution for you.

Veggies & Chickens
Cheryl, there is organic produce in the greenhouse and as we speak -- right now there is spinach, chard, beets, carrots, parsley, oregano, basil, and the listing lets you know you are free to go in and get some. And sadly, I did have to give away the chickens recently because of my traveling and maybe you booked before I had changed the listing and thus came with that expectation. Sorry you weren't happy with either.

Receiving and Socializing with Guests
Cheryl, I would have received you had I not been 10 days into my broken ankle and it was too painful to hobble this large property when you visited. My caretaker Sonia received you instead. As for socializing with you, I need to be told when someone wants to chat or have a glass of wine, otherwise, you know what they say, 3's a crowd! I tend to guard my guests' privacy stringently so I wouldn't ever just be wandering around to see if someone wants to talk, especially not with a broken foot. It's the guests' preference but I will always try to find some time to spend with them if they ask.

Outdoor noise
And you can hear cars on the highway when you're outside, and that is because you are not really remote here, even though by the vegetation and animal life that surrounds you, you think you're far away from it all. I heard these traffic sounds as I was fixing to buy the property and I wondered if I should make this the reason I didn't buy it. And honestly, I found so much else outstanding about this nature sanctuary, with aspen groves and lots of land, birds and trees, unique aesthetics and architecture, and beauty, I was willing to contend with the occasional highway sounds and after a while they ceased to be noticed. I'm truly sorry this disturbed your r & r. I guess most of the guests I've had use the spa or play some music or are talking and socializing so they're not as focussed as you were on the highway sound.

And Cheryl, I highly recommend staying north of Taos for living or vacationing. 12 minutes to get to town is very little to be in the most beautiful, friendly and safest location in Taos. Arroyo Seco is a sought after neighborhood and being 7 minutes away is a plus given the restaurants, organic food store, coffee houses and galleries there.

I do my very best here and I'm so sorry this wasn't a good fit for you and your guest.
Patrick H
“Like being home except you're in Taos.”
Reviewed September 27, 2017 for a stay in September 2017

The grounds are beautiful and relaxing. There must be 20+ areas to read a book, catch some rays, admire the mountain views, and share coffee or a drink. The hot tub is crystal clear and inviting. The interior is very open and filled with beautiful works of art. However, you don't feel like you're in a museum. Instead, you feel comfortable. Every morning there feels like a lazy Sunday morning. Vivien is a very friendly and accommodating host.

Oct 7, 2017
Thank you Patrick and just remember you are welcome back to this little sanctuary anytime!! Loved having you wonderful peeps :)
Riofriowo...
“Heaven!”
Reviewed August 20, 2017 for a stay in August 2017
person found this review helpful

One could not land in a more enchanting spot in New Mexico. The grounds were jaw dropping gorgeous with beautiful foot paths and points of interest at every turn. One could simply stay here and never venture to sight see and still have an experience of a lifetime. Vivien, the owner, will make you feel at home and provides you with a piece of Heaven all to yourself.

Sep 8, 2017
Wow~ love to hear when someone enjoyed the sanctuary that this is. What sweet guests and know you have a second home here anytime!
Tami P
“Perfect”
Reviewed August 8, 2017 for a stay in August 2017

I booked this peaceful get away for my husbands 40th birthday. We had such a great time at this place, it was beautiful and the weather was great. Vivien was a great host, we couldn't have asked for better. We will be back for sure!

Aug 20, 2017
I loved Tami and Randy and sure hope they come back real soon!
Blt64
“WOW! Beautiful, relaxing Casita with wonderful owner!”
Reviewed August 4, 2017 for a stay in August 2017

This beautiful, relaxing Casita has lovely artwork and is beautiful inside and outside. Several acres of land with patio, picnic table, barbecue, hammock and hot tub. Located in very relaxing and quiet location. Vivien, the owner is very welcoming and friendly. She is not intrusive at all but is definitely available with recommendations for the area and other assistance. I had a health issue while there and Vivien was very helpful! Could not have been better! I would definitely return and recommend to my friends. Would give El Sanctuaria more than 5 stars if I could!

Aug 9, 2017
Thanks so much. I only wish you would have felt better while you were visiting but I loved lending a hand.
Chase M
Bellville, Texas
“Wonderful Vacation”
Reviewed June 9, 2017 for a stay in June 2017

Our stay at El Santuario was more than wonderful. We, my wife and I, had a magnificent time. The property was beautiful, the hot tub was ready and warm, the house was more than cozy (it was even decorated beautifully). We stayed for four nights and enjoyed every one. Nothing will ever compare. That is why we have decided to make our stay here an annual event.

Jun 23, 2017
I'm so glad you had a good time and "mi casa es su casa:" (my home is your home) always!! Please do come again when you need some r & r.
Thank you!
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing