“Tasty”

Orlando's New Mexican Cafe
Ranked #1 of 8 Restaurants in El Prado
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Kansas
“Tasty”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

Our desk clerk at El Pueblo recommended Orlando's. We arrived after 7:00 on Friday evening and had to wait about 20 minutes. They have a nice fire pit outside by which to wait. It was warm but smoky. The restaurant is small and crowded but service was reasonably fast and our food arrived quickly. The food was tasty and a little different from Mexican food in Kansas or other places. I assume this is the New Mexico flare. The pasole rather than rice is a nice touch. I'd eat there again.

dbloo, Owner at Orlando's New Mexican Cafe, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear "Tasty". Thanks for the good review. Yea the varieties of mexican food differ all over the place. There is Tex mex, soutwhest, New mex, Northern Nmexican etc etc, Cant imagine what they call it in Kansas. Hope you had a good visit to Taos and hope you come again. Orlando

Texarkana, Texas
“Our favorite in Taos”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

Orlando's is a wonderful place to return to again and again when visiting Taos. It is a small place where you sit around a fire pit out front and wait for a table. There is no telling who you might meet or what stories about a day on the ski mountain you might hear. The food is simple and inexpensive but excellent. We never tire of visiting this old friend.

• Visited March 2014
Dear "Favorite Place". Thanks for coming in. Yes it can be very noisy especially with the music playing. Yum Sayulita Fish Tacos with an cucumber pico de gallo. One of my favorites too. Got the pico idea from a taco stand in sayulita Mexico. Hope to serve you again. Orlando
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Loved the Ambiance!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

I stopped here while i was in Taos, based on all the great reviews i had read. I looked it up on the map and put it into my GPS system and still drove by it. It is set a bit back off of the road and is very small. So, before you go, you my want to check your directions.
Since I was here in early February, mid week, I did not have to wait for a table. I loved the ambiance on the inside of the restaurant. It was decorated in a very colorful manner that was cheerful and had a distinct New Mexico vibe. Since the restaurant is small, it is close quarters on the inside and tables are close together. It appears there is a patio outside for drinks in the warmer months.
The waitress was very helpful in recommending items on the menu and i had enchiladas with The Christmas chili sauce. It was delicious!
I would most certainly eat here again if i was in Taos. My guess is that if you were here during a busier time of the year, you would need to be prepared to wait for a table.

• Visited February 2014
Dear "Love the Ambiance". Thanks for coming in. My wife picked the colors because she loves Mexican Folk Art and the tin on the walls is to represent Northern Nm and all the tin roofed buildings. When we started I made all the tables small so we can fit as many as we can. The patio in summer has 13 tables and is very popular, even though we are right next to the road. Hope to see you this summer when Taos is truly alive. Orlando
Home Counties
“My favourite place in Taos”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

Expect it to be crowded, expect it to be a little noisy inside, but this is great, authentic, freshly made Mexican food. Ate here 3 times on my most recent visit to Taos (as well as ordered dinner for take-out) and delighted every time. Personal favourites are the fish tacos and the burritos.

• Visited March 2014
Angel Fire, New Mexico
“Food was awesome but service was horrible. ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

Living in Angel Fire everyone talks about how awesome Orlando's is so we had to try it out. We were seated in about 5 minutes. Took forever to get our drinks and chips and salsa the the food came out pretty quick. We only seen the waitress when we ordered, got our food, and chased her down for our ticket. Never a refill and went to the kitchen myself to get some cheese for my fajitas. Disappointed. Now the food was awesome! Maybe we should of ordered it to go?