“Great local southwestern cooking, nice funky atmosphere”

Orlando's New Mexican Cafe
Ranked #1 of 8 Restaurants in El Prado
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We went to Orlando's on the recommendation from our innkeeper at Casa Gallina, plus the reviews on TripAdvisor. We arrived early and decided to sit outside. It's a good thing that we got here early, as a large group arrived not long after and we'd be forced to wait. The décor is intriguing with lots of local color. The clientele seemed to be mostly locals out for a good evening of food and conversation. We spotted one of the shopkeepers we'd met at a shop near Taos Pueblo, and many people seemed to know each other. It was a bit noisy outside, but sometimes that is better than a place that's too quiet.
The food was good and inexpensive. The people are friendly. It's a good combination with good food (did I say that before?) that would keep you coming back for more.
It was too dark to take reasonably good pictures of the place.
Note that they do take credit cards - we had information that they were "cash only", so that may have been a recent change.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

This is one of our favorite places to get an excellent meal and enjoy some funky decor. The food is always the best and is made from old family recipes. Sometimes crowded and a bit noisy but worth it.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

Every time I go to Taos Orlando's is always on my go to list - I love the coziness of this place - in nice weather it's great to sit outside - when it starts to get chilly they do have a fire pit which is wonderful - staff is always great - my favorite thing is the posole they give you as your side dish - for me personally I love the chile rellenos - I go there with my friends who live there - so believe me if they like it you should try it - yummy!!

Reviewed October 16, 2013

We were there before six and did get a table. Happy with the food, but felt rushed in & out as they try to feed a lot of patrons in an evening. A small cozy place, but very friendly.
Yes, I would go back again. Tables are close together and easy to strike up a conversation with the table next to you which we did and was enjoyable. They asked when we were at our table if we wanted chips/salsa/guacamole. Of course we did, but they didn't tell us there was an extra charge for that.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Besides the standard Mexican fare, Orlando's features lots of other Mexican dishes not found elsewhere. The pork was amazing, but the salsa was unforgettable with a distinctive smoky flavor. Service was good even though things were hopping, and there is a nice patio for outside dining. Great beers and margaritas besides.