“Awesome food and atmosphere”

Orlando's New Mexican Cafe
Ranked #1 of 8 Restaurants in El Prado
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We were having an early evening so that we could watch a bowl game that night. We pulled up at 4:45 and found a gathering around a fire pit out front. Roaring fire and table set up with lemon water while you wait. We quickly found out that the don't open till 5, but the hostess took everyones names and said they would be seating quickly. Everyone sat around the fire pit discussing where they had tried in the town. Once they opened the doors at 5, they quickly showed everyone in and the small/cozy restraurant was full for the first seating of the evening. Drinks arrived quickly- I do believe they only have a beer/wine license as the margaritas are made with agave wine- really good though! RIght after that the chips and salsa were delivered (not complimentary, but reasonably priced). We had the Tri Enchiladas (one beef, one chicken, one cheese with red, green and a smokey mole sauce). I can't tell you which I liked most as they were all three fabulous. They are very fast, efficient, and attentive in service. This place is tiny to say the least- if you venture to the restroom, you will see just how small a prep area they have! Will definitely be back again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,339)

Reviewed December 31, 2012

We really enjoyed Orlando's. We ate dinner there on Christmas Eve, after attending a Christmas Eve event at Taos Pueblo. This was one of the few restaurants that was open on the holiday and did not require a reservation. We had no idea when the Pueblo bonfire would end, so we wanted to go somewhere that did not require a reservation. We did have about a 45-minute wait outside the restaurant. There was a seating area around a bonfire, as well as a heated tent. Despite the cold and the snow that began while we were waiting, it was a fun experience. Once we were seated, we realized why we had the wait. The restaurant was quite small, but the food was excellent! I would definitely return!

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Orland's serves excellent New Mexican. There is no ambience but the food is wonderful even if the menu is limited. I have never had dinner here and don't even know if it is served but lunch is from 10:30AM until after 2PM and you better get there early if you want a parking place and a table.

Today I had flat blue corn enchiladas filled with buffalo meat and with green chile sauce on the side. Wonderful!

Reviewed December 26, 2012

I've been to Orlando's before and always enjoy returning. The food is good, staff is friendly, and the atmosphere always gives me a lift. Their beef burrito is a favorite of mine, but this evening I tried the Chimichanga which was also great. I decided to try the famous "Frozen Avocado Pie." It must be an acquired taste. However, I got a taste of my friend's "Warm Brownie Sundae." Once she worked her way past the clouds of whipped cream, it was delicious!! I particularly like Orlando's in the summer when you can sit outside in the courtyard enjoying back to the earth, exotic, well-fed contentment.

Reviewed December 24, 2012

Not once, not twice, but three times during our New Mexico trip this summer. loved Blue corn enchiladas. Be sure to finish with the Mexican wedding cookies.