“Nice people”

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Deming
Upland, California
“Nice people”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Flew into an absolutely deserted airport in Deming, NM but found a courtesy phone and, sure enough, even though it was pretty late at night, someone from the motel ran over and picked me up.

Pleasant people. OK, clean, quiet rooms equipped with microwave and refrigerator.

Oddly enough, an LA film crew was working on a movie across the street late into the wee hours. Didn't disturb the guests, though.

Room Tip: No food in the later evening, but can walk several blocks down the main drag to a WalMart and pick u...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank William D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Sells, Arizona
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I agree with most of the comments already mentioned. I too found this place charming and laid back, with a cared-for feel. It was nice to have the bar at night and the restaurant in the morning right on the premises...however an odd thing happened to me when I visited.

Upon preparing to check out, my husband and I took turns in the room while the other hauled our stuff out to the car. While my husband was gone, I popped into the restroom in our room, and by the time I came out my husband was back. And it was at that point that I noticed my wallet gone from the table near the propped open door! In my panic I went to back to the restaurant to make sure I didn't leave it there and at that point I met with the owners who were kind enough to show me the security tapes showing I left the restaurant with my wallet...I never found my wallet although I did report it to the police later on.

The next thing that went missing was my pillow. It was MY PILLOW, the one that cost 89.00!! I thought my husband packed it up, but when we arrived home, it was not to be found. Oy. The final blow was when I left the room to ask my husband about the pillow, I had placed $10.00 on the round table. I never lost site of the room, although I did have my back turned as I walked towards the parking lot. I couldn't believe my eyes when I came back, there was only two dollars on the nightstand, and nothing on the table I put the 10 bucks on on. I was still in a panic about the wallet, hoping it was mislaid or packed with something else, but like I said, neither the wallet or the pillow were ever found.

I did report it to the management who was adamant that his employees no way could have done anything like that, so being uncertain as to the whereabouts of both items, I dropped it.

This whole thing happened last summer while we were moving from one state to another and now that I am back on tripadvisor for other reasons, I wanted to get this annoyance off my chest and hope that another distracted traveler doesn't get something of value taken from them.

Room Tip: Dont' take the room next to the laundry room out by the pool. Its possible that staff can sneak...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MarilynGinnyB
Albuquerque
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Arsen and Edward, the brothers who run the Grand, are doing something right. I have never stayed anywhere where the staff was more eager to please. The roms are clean and spacious, and the hospitality is amazing.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank FaerieChilde
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed March 30, 2013

The interior is probably from the 70s, but very well kept. It is actually one of the positive features of this place, that's how you imagine a better, older/classic american motel. Everyone was really nice, even though the service at breakfast was a little slow, but people from outside come here to eat too. Do not expect a choice of craft beers in the bar here. Rooms are really big and even the carpet looks and feels spotless.

Room Tip: get one near the fire exit for easier in and out avoiding the main staircase in the lobby
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank fdemmer
Taos, New Mexico
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I love this place! Everyone is shockingly nice and helpful. The owners, Arsen and Ed (brothers), are friendly and present - always there to share information and make travel suggestions. They're the BEST! The laundry facilities are clean, the rooms spotless and roomy. I recommend this Inn, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank bitemeback
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We chose this hotel for price, and were pleasantly surprised on great size if rooms, as well as clean. Most of the time you get what you pay for and we got more. Only disappointment was they had our room reservation wrong but luckily they were not that busy so we were able to get our second room.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Indialantic, Florida
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We took the advice of fellow travellers (via the internet) and booked this value motel near I-10 for our stay in Deming. The motel is older, but clean as a whistle, has a very nice and convenient restaurant and lounge, and the owner/manager is wonderfully friendly and helpful. He greets us every time with a big smile and waive. Our room is very clean, quiet, and comfortable. We could have paid twice as much, and have, and not had as good an experience. If you can do without the bells and whistles of something much more expensive, this is the place.

Room Tip: We had a corner room downstairs, parked right outside, near the back door to the lounge and restaura...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple