“Who knew, good italian in southern New Mexico”
Review of La Bella Luna - CLOSED

La Bella Luna
Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: I purchased this restaurant in April 2014. I am attempting to provide diners with a fine dining experience. We prepare your food from scratch as ordered. Our Chicken and Veal Parmigiana is pounded, breaded and cooked when ordered. Our Porto and Marsala is made when it is ordered and takes approximately 20 minutes to get to your table, so please, order your favorite beverage, try our fresh bread and our wonderful roasted garlic and prepare your palate for a wonderful dinner.
Anchorage, Alaska
“Who knew, good italian in southern New Mexico”
Reviewed June 12, 2014

I am so impressed with this little restaurant. I have eaten here twice and I have to admit I had the same thing both times. I had the eggplant parmesan. It is wonderful! I make eggplant parmesan and normally I make it myself only about twice a year because it is a lot of work to make it come out not mushy. I challenge you to find eggplant parmesan in any chain Italian restaurant. You won't find it because of the work it take to make it. They make it great consistently I am not a vegetarian and I am not a particularly healthy person so don't be afraid of trying this dish if you have never had it. My friend had the lasagna and it was good too. Enjoy!

• Visited June 2014

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
“Make the drive to Las Cruces -- don't bother eating here”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Our favorite restaurant in Deming (Mimbres Brewing) has closed. So we asked our hotel where we should go in Deming or if we should drive into Las Cruces (where we have several restaurants we like) and they recommended Palma's as the best in Deming and no need to go to Las Cruces. So we tried it.
The main dining room with windows wasn't being used to seat anyone. Instead everyone was seated at tables in a small, dark side room. The lighting (fluorescent bulbs in the dining room we were seated in) was dim and it wasn't helpful for reading the menu. The other room off the side was brightly lit and more inviting -- if there weren't interested in seating people in the large street facing dining room.
We were disappointed there was no beer or wine, but we understand.
The bread they served was beautiful. We had high expectations after that -- boy were we disappointed. The potato soup was okay. The salad was fresh but the dressing tasted more like a bottle dressing than fresh.
You do not see gnocchi on many menus in New Mexico. When you do, it is because someone really knows how to make it. Not here -- the gnocchi was watery (they could have taken more time to drain that better) and it made the marinara thin. That ruined the dish for me.
WARNING: The jalapenos they use are pickled, not fresh. Add that to any pasta dish and you'll be sorry -- especially on the fettuccine dish my husband had. He didn't even eat 1/2 of his dish.
If we weren't so hungry (we didn't have breakfast or lunch that day) we would have sent the food back and tried a steak instead (too late by this time to head into Cruces). Even as hungry as we were, neither one of us could do more than eat half of the plate and only with a bite of the delicious bread after every other bite.
Service wasn't that good either -- after they served our food they didn't check back to see what we thought. They checked with us to see if we wanted dessert when we were one of two tables left.
Luckily, the food didn't cost that much.
I am from Chicago, I know Italian food. I also know what I can expect to get in New Mexico and allow a great deal of lee-way for Italian food here.

• Visited June 2014
Eloy, Arizona
“Just Ok”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

I may have expected too much. I expect Italian restaurants to have a decor that reminds me of Italy. I did not feel that here. Also, I expect wine, nice bread and oil for dipping bread, and a good, flavorful sauce with pasta. Well, not so much at Palma's. They had nice bread, but the dipping oil was unlike any oil I have had before. This dipping oil was thin, almost watery. No wine available. My lasagna and my husbands spaghetti with meat sauce were both bland. The portions were large and prices were reasonable.

• Visited May 2014
Burbank, California
“Great Service, OK Food”
Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

We were in town for a trial, and myself and the other attorneys ate here twice for lunch. The first time we were almost late back to court because our food (sandwiches) took so long to come out. The next day, the staff made sure we had our food quickly, were very attentive and friendly. Chicken sandwich was good, the pasta was so-so.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank jennifer w
Pinson, Alabama
“Food only average”
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Everything that SooSooSees said is accurate in spades. In addition the salad greens tasted like they had not been washed - very gritty. The bread was a bit stale and the butter on the margins of good. Manicotti was ok but the sauce tasted like tomato past with a bit of water thrown in. Could not finish the meal so paid the bill And left. Wait staff was good so left a good tip. Next meal I'll drive to Las Cruces.

• Visited May 2014