“great place”

Cuisines: American, Southwestern
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed July 1, 2014

You can't beat the atmosphere, great western place. Food is very good but I have had better Fillet elsewhere.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

We made it here in the dark and weren't sure what we were walking into. Once through the gate, we were even more unsure. The huge TV screen seemed out of place with the stuffed animals throughout.

Once seated and we looked at the menu, we were surprised to see things like duck and oso buco on the menu. The staff was not overly friendly, but quite competent.

The surprise started with the French onion soup. Easily it was one of the best I've ever had.

I ordered a rib eye and it was perfectly cooked and seasoned. Beyond my expectations.

If I still lived in Deming, I think I would be a regular there. It was well worth the drive.

1  Thank Michael D
Reviewed June 25, 2014

Shady, run-down locals' dive bar mistakenly advertised as a "destination restaurant." Do NOT bother visiting unless you wear cowboy boots for a living, or enjoy having dead, stuffed animals staring at you through a hazy cloud of dust while you attempt to eat a "meal". If you have worn a pair of high heels ever in your life - go somewhere else - you're too classy for this dive. For all you round-up men and women, enjoy the biggest, rarest steak your wallet can afford and add a double order of onion rings (they're better than the fries). All in all, a stifling, dirty, old atmosphere that would make any normal city dweller cringe to go so far out of their way for a mislabeled "destination restaurant". Skip it, and keep driving till you hit Las Cruces.

2  Thank Student_DOcs_onthego
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Oh my God. I have eaten in thousands of cities. Dozens of Countries. How good does a restaurant have to be to make my top 5? Deming is one bland, boring looking town, and I would go back in a heartbeat just to eat at the Adobe Deli. Forget the name. This is not a deli, at least not in a traditional sense. Do you like sandwiches? They've got them, and not just a few. How about steaks? Ditto. I did not try the Alaskan King Crab, but if you've got a hankering for it, no problem. Burgers, BBQ, salads. There is something here for everyone.

Now for the fun. The Adobe Deli sits about 10 miles OUTSIDE Deming. You have to drive on an old desert highway. I have to admit that if I had tried to drive there at night, I would have turned around, preferring not to be part of the remake of an old horror movie. It is not even on THAT HIGHWAY. You have to turn down an old country road for another half mile. The outside of the building is nondescript. If you take friends to the Adobe Deli, they will surely think you insane. But when you get inside, that is where the fun begins. There are no words to accurately describe the whirling dervish of signs, stuffed animals, telephone booths with dummies inside, and other miscellaneous whimsy. The locals add to the crazy charm of the place. Bikers (the harmless kind, old and road weary), desert rats, and all of the kinds of people that you might expect would live out in the desert. Just driving here and walking inside is a once in a lifetime experience.

But the food. There are no words. None. I will get a tad disgusting here, but when I burped hours later, it still tasted good. If I had never been to the Adobe Deli, you could not have paid me to come back to Deming. Now, I might be tempted to live here just to eat at the Adobe. Well, not really; It IS Deming NM, after all, but you get my point.

How did such an incredible eatery end up in a lonely outpost outside Deming NM? That is a question to be addressed the next time I stop here, and most assuredly that will occur.

2  Thank provoshane
Reviewed June 3, 2014

This is one of the restaurants that we Deming area locals enjoy taking visitors to for a unique dining experience and great food! It's once was a an old country school house. The owner has converted it to a place filled with many surprises, including a fine wine cellar, unique artifacts and splendid food. It's noted for it's steaks and French onion soup. I enjoy the BBQ pork ribs prepared and served on a long skewer.

Been to Adobe Deli? Share your experiences!