“Very Nice and Clean!”
Review of Frontier Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cuba
Frontier Motel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Cuba
Reviewed March 2, 2011

My husband and I with our teenage boys stayed at your hotel on our way to visit our daughter and grandkids. We booked two room, one for us and one for the boys. The rooms were so nice and clean. We were driving from Texas to Utah and this was on our way and a great place to stay. We will stay again on another visit to Utah. Thank you for the great rate and clean room.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank fastcar48

Reviewed October 16, 2010

Made the reservation over the phone and didn't know what to expect. Room was a good size with a king sized bed that was very comfortable. It also had a small refrigerator and microwave and satellite tv. Everything was clean and neat. There weren't many people staying there, so it was pretty quiet except for some road noise (not very loud). The room was extremely inexpensive compared to others we stayed in. There was a cafe nearby that was open from 7:30 AM to 9PM.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2010

I had called the Frontier Motel en route to Cuba and was quoted a good price. When I arrived the price had shot up $15. Tired from the drive I took the room. once in the room, I noted that the room price card posted on the door was $15 less than I had paid. I returned to the office to request a refund and was at first refused. I suggested that the counter staff reconsider and he followed me to my room to see the posted price card. In the room, he took the card, gave me $15 in cash and requested I sign a receipt. The whole business made me very uncomfortable and was unfortunate as the property appeared to be the best available in Cuba.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank cathy0606
Reviewed July 21, 2010

My wife and I were to be taking a retirement trip to the southwest at the end of May. The 17-day trip was planned ahead and reservations were made. Based on what we read in TripAdvisor, our visit to Chaco Canyon would originate from Cuba and the Frontier Motel would be the place to stay on May 30th and 31st. We called to reserve a room on January 15th and Rose said it was way too early to make reservations. We called again on March 5th - same story. We called again on April 26th and Lilly said to call two weeks before our planned stay. I called on May 10th and Rose said she wasn't sure if there would be any rooms available for us because of the construction personnel staying at about the same time. At that point I figured it was time for Plan B; we made reservations in Bloomfield, not that much farther from Chaco Canyon, and the folks there were glad to take my reservation. This business just left me scratching my head. How does a motel survive if they won't take a reservation? The real downside was that I really wanted to eat at El Bruno's after reading their reviews. Oh well.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dksmiley
Reviewed July 10, 2010

How I rolled into Cuba, New Mexico at 8:30 PM on Friday July 2, 2010 is a long story. Too long for this review. But I shouldn't have made it all the way to Cuba.

Rolling into town from the east, I saw at least two other motels in Cuba. I hadn't slept much the past 72 hours, was planning to stop much earlier in the day. But once I left I-25, there was no place else once I left metro Albuquerque. I was tempted to stop at motel #1. But I decided to give Cuba the Main Street roll-through. On the west end of town was a busy little motel - the Frontier.

I stopped and checked for a room at the reception desk in a charming little lobby with a fountain burbling in an atrium letting in much-needed southern light and heat in winter. The Frontier has units on both sides of U.S. 550/main street. Two units were left on the check-in side of the street, both un-remodeled kitchenettes. I got one, the motorcycle tourists pulling in right behind me got the final one.

It's a quaint 1950's motel. My kitchenette had a formica table and two mis-matched chairs. I shared pueblo oven bread with a landscaping crew two doors down who fed me huge steak and fresh-caught trout . I struggled to find a water glass in the kitchenette, I don't think I had silverware, and between the two units there were not enough chairs to sit six people. We all ate well, pickup bumpers make great tables, and those guys had a lot of plastic ware they needed to use up before heading back to Albuquerque for July 4.

The room had a phone in No Country for Cell Phones. I called home and gave my 20. Actually AT&T had 1 to 2 bars in Cuba, but noplace else on the Colorado Plateau until Farmington had anything but a naked tower showing on the signal display. Phone home, eat, sleep.

One of the ceiling fans had lightbulbs behaving badly. I let the front desk know the fixture was not dependable, and was told it would be taken care of the next day.

The mattress was comfy, not dished; the pillow decently fluffy, its case clean. I counted log-sawing sheep for nine hours straight, waking to a clean bathroom and shower in a sunlit bungalow. Talk about 1950's - the soap was Cashmere Bouquet - but about 1/3 the size of 1950's hotel Cashmere Bouquet. Different scent too - maybe 66% less?

If I'd have had familywith me, two bedrooms and kitchenette would have been $70.00.. I got it for 50.00 and was pleased to find a decent bed to lay me down on and a pillow for my head. There was also a TV, but I was creating my own exhaustion-induced picture entertainment by then, and never turned it on. There was also a restaurant about 1/2 block away and a convenience store across the street.

I'm thinking we may come back - some other summer. We'll fill the rooms with family, stay in a pleasant sunlit bungalow, doing nothing but reading books, cooking meals and investigating this part of the Colorado Plateau. Would I stay again? Yes I would. And won't wait for exhaustion to set in.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 21, 2010

I will trust the other reviewers who declared this as a nice place for the money when staying in rooms "across the street from the office." When we arrived late without a reservation (We had left a message in the AM that we wanted a room. This call was not returned...no apology from the guy at the desk) we werwe at first told they were booked and then he found an open room. This was on the same side of the street as the office and is in fact an older motel. We had our first clue something was amiss when a large bug scurried away from the door as we entered. Not a roach...but hey...a big bug. The second sink in the room had a leak (we put the trash can under it). The light was unplugged. The towels were frayed and old as were the sheets/blanket...tho all seemed clean. The real problem was that when a LARGE group of teens next door started partying at midnight. Cars honking their arrival, lots of yelling and laughter, etc. I attempted to call management at 12:45...after very patiently hoping things would settle down...to find no one answering the phone. "She went home" one of the revellers told me. I went out and feeling like the old man telling kids to get off his lawn , threatened to call the police ( the number is posted on the inside of the door...for a reason?) That seemed to work. Bottom line...it appeared to me that the rooms on the office side are used to house work crews and road workers who like to let off steam on Saturday night. NO "Frontier" unless it is the new side. PS: WiFi did not work.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BillinMidMO
Reviewed October 1, 2009

We had left Mesa Verde NP heading towards Alburquerque, but were just too tired to make it all the way there, so it was great to find the Frontier Motel in Cuba in the "middle of nowhere" on HWY 550. We had a very nice room across from the main motel with Kingsize bed, MW, F, satellite TV, coffeemaker and great WIFI all at a VERY reasonable rate. Furniture and carpetting all looked new. Some outdoor and bathroom maintenance are definitely needed, but they were spotlessly clean.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cjnky

Been to Frontier Motel? Share your experiences!