“Tried it five times now....that's more than enough!”
Review of El Bruno's

El Bruno's
Ranked #1 of 8 Restaurants in Cuba
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Cuba, New Mexico, has one attractive restaurant and is conveniently located about halfway between Farmington and Rio Rancho. It is the perfect place to meet my sister for lunch. The only item I can recommend is the guacamole that is prepared at your table. Every entree I have tried, enchiladas, tacos, burritos and chimichanga, has come to the table with the tortillas already soaked on the bottom. About half the time, the food was cold. I like a little green chili, but they put on so much it's like they're trying to cover up the food. The service is iffy. I've had a better tasting lunch at Taco Bell.
Then you think, if you are anything like my sister and me, well, at least it has a great gift shop! If you look closer you will discover that most of the attractive clothing is Double D Ranchwear and it costs big money, with a very small selection. Who is the buyer for this stuff in a town the size of Cuba?

2  Thank Meredith W

Reviewed December 19, 2013

The atmosphere and service at Bruno's is GREAT. The best lunch specials and meal in town. Dwayne, our server, was amazing and really knows about the food he is serving.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

We were in Cuba NM this month. This was recommended by the motel we stayed in. It was very good food and service. I had a carne asada taco for $8.00 and it was excellent. The parking lot was full on a week night. A very good sign. Will be back.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

Someone told me to try El Bruno's in Cuba, so we decided to take a nice drive up there for lunch. The building is nice and the inside is inviting. The girl who seated us was friendly enough. Our waitress came by with Chips and Salsa almost immediately,and said she would be right back. After 10 minutes, the girl who seated us came to ask if we had been waited on yet. She is the one who ended up taking our order, since our waitress disappeared. I ordered the chicken tacos. You get 3 tacos for $11.00, so I was expecting some seriously good food for that price. My husband ordered Chicken Enchiladas ($12.00) with blue corn (for another dollar). The food was on our table in less than 2 minutes! Unfortunately, I think they forgot to season the chicken. The tacos were extraordinarily boring. It tasted like boiled chicken with lettuce and tomato on it.
They did not use the blue corn for the enchiladas, so the girl went to the back and a young man came out. Instead of offering to fix this, he asked my husband if he just wanted to keep them, or if he wanted them to change to the blue. He asked to have them fixed. When they brought his food back, the tortillas seemed soaked in oil, but not cooked.
Being native New Mexican's we eat a LOT of chile, so yes...we are picky about it. While their chips and salsa were tasty, the red chile was bland and flavorless.
We never saw another waitress until they brought our check and picked it up.
We were pretty disappointed with this $25.00 lunch, and will not be going back.

4  Thank Doctor83N
Reviewed November 6, 2013

My wife and I have travelled the Southwest for almost 20 years, and she always searches for the best Green Chili, and I for the best Tamale.

Based on the recommendation of a friend from Colorado who works in that area, we tried El Bruno, and Colleen has definitely found the best Green Chili....Hazel's is flavorful, has excellent texture and fresh ingredients.... and the service from Natasha was attentive, professional and pleasant. The restaurant was full, with a mixture of locals and tourists and everyone had smiles on their faces.

This is a hidden gem and well worth a trip.

Been to El Bruno's? Share your experiences!