All reviews quail sandia mountains road runner albuquerque area welcoming hosts breakfast was delicious home away from home thought of everything every morning rio rancho southwest decor great room stayed longer guest rooms santa fe bunnies zorro
Reviewed July 2, 2012

The place is beautiful, indoors and out. The hosts, Chris and Bruce, were very friendly and helpful, and the breakfast delicious. They catered to my dietary needs, were helpful with restaurant and sightseeing suggestions, and I got to eat breakfast outside each morning and watch the rabbits, quail, and roadrunners cavort about with their young. The room was beautiful, clean and comfortable.

Date of stay: June 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank katydid23
Reviewed June 6, 2012

My husband and I spent a week in New Mexico (June 2012). We began our week at the Chocolate Turtle because we wanted a convenient location to Albuqurque and Santa Fe. We enjoyed our stay so much we returned at the end of the week to close out our trip. The innkeepers were away on vacation but Chris and Bruce did a wonderful job filling in. The breakfasts were delicious, the other guests were friendly, and the scenery from the courtyard was breathtaking. A top notch B&B experience!

Date of stay: June 2012
Reviewed May 2, 2012

I was very fortunate to have been giving a gift certificate to the Jane Butel Cooking School in Corrales, and Jane recommended The Chocolate Turtle to me. I have stayed in numerous B & Bs over the years, but this is one of my most enjoyable and most memorable experiences.

The Roadrunner Room is colorful, comfortable and relaxing. I thoroughly enjoyed Dallas and Nancy's lovely garden and was very happy to get an up close and personal encounter with their friendly neighborhood roadrunners. I didn't get a chance to have breakfast at the Chocolate Turtle, since I was out cooking all day, but hear good things about it.

To top it off, on my final morning I managed to lock my keys in the rental car. I was anxious about making it to the airport on time, but Dallas and Nancy were unflappable. Despite being woken at 7 a.m., they were very sympathetic and managed to find a locksmith who came, opened my car and I got on the road to the airport 20 minutes later and caught my flight.

I recommend the Chocolate Turtle very highly. I found Corrales a much more pleasant place to stay than Albuquerque, and the B & B is very accessible to the site of the balloon festival, Jane Butel's fabulous Southwestern cooking school, and many other local attractions.

Date of stay: April 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed April 26, 2012

We stayed at THE Chocolate Turtla also in 2011, we enjoyed it so much so went back this year. I can't say enough about it, it is wonderful. Nancy and Dallas do a super job. This place is so clean you never see dust. My husband even noticed that. There courtyard over looks the Sandia Mountains. If your there in the afternoon you might luck out and see the mountain turn pink as the sun gets lower in the sky. Sandia is Spanish for watermelon. It' just a relaxing place to sit almost any time of the day. It's closeto alburque and not really that far from Santa Fe. The Al Unser and the Balloon museums are real close. We enjoyed the Al Unser museum so much last year that we also made areturn trip there.
Take a look at Chocolate Turtle websight to see picture's of there rooms. The website is turtlebb@comcast.net

Date of stay: March 2012
Reviewed March 27, 2012

We stayed here one night in the Bunny Room. The room was comfortable enough--somewhat close to the furnace closet. If the pillows don't suit you (they didn't me), there are more in the closet, or ask the owners.The owners are a delightful couple who served up a delicious breakfast. We enjoyed meeting the other guests at breakfast. We came in the winter; I would love to visit when the garden is in bloom. Only one recommendation to the owners: a small bench outside the bathroom would be nice for setting things on. I especially enjoyed sitting in the living area in the evening, this being close to Christmas, the room was decorated nicely.

Room tip: I will go with one of the larger rooms if I return.
Date of stay: December 2011