“WOW! I never knew so much history so close to home.”
Review of Blackwater Draw Museum - MOVED

Blackwater Draw Museum
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I grew up in Clovis, and went to college in Portales. I had always passed the Museum, but never stopped. One day, i did. I did not realize that there was so much history in this place. I would also recommend go to the actual dig sights were you can see tons of prehistoric fossils.

i think if I had gone as a kid, I would have become a paleontologist.

4  Thank TexasChickenhawk

Reviewed May 7, 2013

The Blackwater Draw Museum, while not near the Blackwater Draw dig site, is important to undersatanding the dig site and area. I have been to the Folsum dig site, and this museum really explains both sites. The two sites changed the way archeologist and paleontologist view early man's life. The Clovis point and Folsum point were found in the vicinity of mammoths and bison and demonstrated how early man hunted these creatures. The Blackwater Draw museum has a replica of a mammoth head so you really get the idea how huge these creatures were. The other treat of the museum, they have actual bones and dinosaur eggs that the visitor can touch. So many museums have "don't touch" signs everywhere, it was nice to have "please touch" signs.

5  Thank ggold113
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Keep in mind that this museum was made because of the Clovis Point, an arrowhead found in the area that COMPLETELY changed the way Man was known to live. Excellent for those that love ALL kinds of history.

2  Thank Andrew H
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Exhibits and explanatory material gave a good picture of the paleontology and archeology of the Clovis region and its place in paleo-Indian history. There is evidence of a lot of serious research as well as reproductions of mammoth bones, Indian artifacts and ancient dwelling places that should interest children. The curator was very knowledgeable and helpful and was able to supplement the museum presentation with his knowledge of local geology.
The entrance fee was small and there were no distractions or glitzy presentations.

3  Thank Mary F
See more reviews
Reviewed August 18, 2012

It's small and not flashy in the slighest. You can tell the budget isn't much. But still, this is Clovis and clovish culture is very important in the history of mankind. If you're interested in history, this is a great place to visit. I learned a lot about clovis culture and fulsom culture and am glad I went a bit out of my way to come here.

My 12-year-old thought it was ok and liked looking at the clovis arrowheads and other artifacts but clearly was not as enthused as I was. Had I beed alone, I would have liked to have spent more time here.

Admission price includes the museum and the actual Clovis dig site. The dig site isn't much but it's only about 10 minutes away so you might as well make the drive and go to both places.

I wish they had more funding and were able to have a larger, more detailed museum. I think that with some advertising, interest in this could get pretty high.

3  Thank TXguy076