See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed January 15, 2017

What can I say about this place? I read reviews before we got there, even looked at pics beforehand. I wasn't expecting 5 star accommodations but I wasn't expecting what we got.

I guess I'll start from the beginning. We checked in at about 3:30pm. The check in is in the gift shop, so when the shop closed at 5:00, you are on your own. They give you a combo to unlock a side door to enter after hours. If you plan on arriving late, call ahead or you are out of luck. Attendant was nice, she let us know that there was a family of 6 right next door to the room we reserved and asked if we wanted an "upgrade" to a different room. Ha, should have said no.... but we will get to that later. Got our key & door combo and up we went.

Have to climb a narrow set of wooden (and uneven) stairs to the second floor. It's a small place - I think 9 rooms. We were room 8. Walked in to what I will call "antique rustic" accommodations. The room itself was a decent size, L shaped. There were two queen beds, and a "kitchenette". I get what they are going for. Rustic, historic, antique feel but what I felt was old, mismatched & thrown together. They tried but missed the mark. There were dozens of little things they could have done to make the room more comfortable and keep the feel of the place but nope, no luck. Our room was set to accommodate 4 people - but again they missed the mark. Yes, two beds - but that about it. There was a table in the middle of the room with two chairs. The other two chairs were by the head of one of the beds being used a night stands because there weren't any. There was also a two person wooden bench - not comfortable at all. No cushion to sit on. It felt like I was waiting outside the principles office for my punishment. They did have two folded wool (itchy) blankets that I used a padding to sit on - more about these later. NO closet space, just a small armoire. No suitcase rack or chest of drawers. If we did have 4 people for more tag one night it would have gotten cluttered real quick. Lucky for us we were just a couple staying one night.

The bathroom... sink was separate from the toilet / shower room. Not bad but poorly set up. The mirror above the sink was hanging crooked (see pics) and was dirty. You could see where someone ran a damp rag over it and left smudges all over it. I took 1 minute and cleaned it properly then attempted to straighten it. That's when I realized it was crooked for a reason. When it was straight, it cut off the top of my head - I could see from my eyes down. Not my forehead. I'm not overly tall, 5'7". There was room to move it a bit higher but they obviously chose not to. The sink is stand alone with no counter or table to place a toothbrush on. There was a chair I used as "counter" space. I went into the tub / toilet room. Nice claw foot tub with overhead shower. Obviously reclaimed and in dire need of reglazing. I was looking forward to (cleaning it out) a hot bath - but wait there was no stopper to fill the tub. Bummer. But I figured a shower would be nice. I looked around and realized there was no hair dryer - so showering and washing my hair was not an option (didn't want to be outside in cold snowy weather with wet hair). I ended up shoving a washcloth in the drain just so I could bathe.... by the way - the water never got hot. It was a luke warm bath, (Upon checkout, talked to the couple in the room next door (room 7) who told me they didn't have hot water at all so I guess I was lucky). Like I mentioned before, the attendant leaves at 5:00pm, so there is no one to help if you have issues. Will get more into this later.

There is a 1/2 table next to the bath that would be perfectly suited for a vanity - if the mirror was 12 inches lower. When sitting at the vanity, the mirror is almost a foot above eyesight. You have to stand to use it. There were no towel racks - all towels were folded on the vanity. Like I said, little thing that could make the space more comfortable to stay in, but NOOOO.

The kitchenette, a separate space next to one of the beds. Had a sink, microwave, small fridge and coffee pot. There was coffee & tea in the room... the coffee was in a zip top bag with "coffee" written on it. Two tea bags & one pack of sweetener. Check out the pics. There were dishes to use. 4 dinner plates, 4 salad plates, 4 bowls, two forks, one butter knife & 4 spoons. Three wine glasses, two drinking glasses and ONE coffee cup. Again, if this is supposed to accommodate 4 people they are WAY off.

There was a tv in the corner that could be viewed from either bed. It was above an antique record player and school desk. More of the "antique rustic" feel. If you look at the pics - you will see there is a missing piece of chair rail below the tv.

The only reason we were there was because we received a gift certificate for $99 off a one night stay (from an office party). We weren't out much money so we decided to embrace the "charm" of the place. In my opinion, at best this is a $49 motel. Anyway - we're in it for the night.

After dinner and drinks we made our way back to our room. Used the combo, let ourselves in and headed up those narrow, uneven, wooden stairs.

The heating / cooling options are ceiling fans and portable heaters. Since it was cold and the little heater wasn't putting out enough heat we pulled the comforter off the other bed to the one we were in, just to stay warm. Didn't want to sleep with the itchy wool blankets. The weather that night was rain, hail, followed by heavy wet snow. The sound of rain was actually soothing and the bed wasn't uncomfortable. This is where the REAL fun begins. Remember how I told you, attendant leaves at 5:00pm? It's important here. About 2:00am my husband was cold and reached to the foot of the bed to pull up the comforter...only to grab a sopping wet blanket. We get up, turn on the lights and realize water is dripping from the ceiling onto the bed as well as around the room. The blanket on the bed are wet, the itchy wool blankets on the hard wooden bench are soaked. The clothes I had on the bench (remember no drawers to put clothes in)... all wet. My husband has some clothes on the chair by the table, yup wet. Now I know there's no one downstairs to help us so we had to suck it up. There is no place to go, so we used towels and dried up what we could and attempted to sleep till morning. You can see in the picture where the water was dripping from the ceiling as well as the pile of wet blankets on the hard wooden bench.

When we checked out I told the attendant what happened - all she could say was "sorry". Sorry?! Seriously?! That's it?! The only good thing about the whole stay was that it was free - and we have a story to tell. We will NEVER stay there again and I suggest you heed my advice and stay far, far away from this place.

• Stayed: January 2017, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ladyeaglekeeper
Reviewed January 2, 2017

friendly staff. nice hot water for shower. great location. our room had no windows!! poor lighting in the room. shabby furniture. dirty carpeting and the sofa was horribly stained. little housekeeping. bathroom had a cool bathtub/shower, but the safety bar was barely attached to the wall. room smelled musty, as did the bed linens. we stayed over new year's, and received a bottle of wine! but I expect more cleanliness, safety and a window to the outside!!!!

• Stayed: December 2016, traveled with family
Reviewed December 29, 2016

As first time visitors to Cloudcroft, NM we wanted to ensure we were in the midst of what the town had to offer so we chose a one night stay in the "downtown" area at the Cloudcroft Hotel. We wanted a balcony room and although it was more room than we expected or needed, having two double beds, a kitchenette and dining table, we were comfortable and felt quite at home. The stove is an antique stove that has been retro-fitted with an electric hot plate. Great for being able to cook your own meals and feast economically. The check in process happens at the gift store downstairs, if you are late for check in keys are left with the code in a key drop box.
The Cloudcroft Hotel is right next to the famous Western Bar and makes for an easy transition after a few too many! We were concerned about noise from the bar next door but found once we turned in and had closed our balcony door, no trouble sleeping and they closed at a reasonable hour for our Friday night stay. The rest of the downtown closes early at dusk, which is a little disappointing but reasonable in that most folks are ready to settle in and be up on the town or out on the slopes early.
The staff is friendly and helpful, but don't expect first class services. It's a historical hotel that is casual and meant for a cozy stay in the west side downtown area. We have no complaints for our one night stay and look forward to opportunities to come back.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms at the front of the hotel give you a nice view and personal retreat
  • Stayed: September 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 27, 2016 via mobile

There were dead insects in all of the windows, one shower had the water cut off because they said it wasn't working. The other shower handle popped right off when I touched it. Water was scalding hot or ice cold. No TV's in the bedroom, one tiny one in sitting area. Dirty rag left by the sink. The mattresses were all hard as a rock, and the pillows were flat as cardboard. When I checked out, I said that we weren't happy with the room, and the attendant didn't care, didn't even ask what was wrong. When I told her about the issues, "Oh, sorry" was all she said three times. For $200, this is a total scam. Do not waste your money. Will not return. I'll stay in Alamogordo next time for a better room and 30 mins away.

Stayed: December 2016, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 24, 2016

shabby, very poor wi fi, no heat need electric heaters in room, overall uncomfortable and pricey since it's the only game in town. On line it looked like a quaint old cowboy hotel, its more like a shabby rooming house with ancient furniture.

Room Tip: better options a few miles down the road
  • Stayed: November 2016, traveled as a couple