“What a great find”
Review of Cloudcroft Hotel

Cloudcroft Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Cloudcroft
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The Cloudcroft Hotel in old town Cloudcroft is a great place to stay. It is very chic, with a lot of charm, and personality. Clean. Since they are still doing some remodeling, I will not point out some of the negatives, except that our room should have been equipped with a small microwave and refrigerator. The coffee pot was appreciated. The staff seemed to be a little harried and could possibly be a little more relaxed and customer friendly. The townfolk were very friendly and we noticed that everyone tries to help each other out. I like that - community effort. We did not get very much help from the Chamber of Commerce Representative, she apparently was too busy on the computer to answer our questions about the area. The area shops were great and we were happy to realize that the prices were not outreageous. Great stay.

Room Tip: Room was good except next time get a larger bed, micro and refrig. Otherwise quiet, comfortable, cle...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KMandGR
Ruth L, General Manager at Cloudcroft Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2014

Hello KM and GR, I just wanted to thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. Since July of 2012 there have been many changes at the Cloudcroft Hotel. The rooms are now finished with a charm that warms the heart. We have changed management and added many new amenities free standing showers, free bicycle use for our guest, food delivery to the hotel, ipad and gaming consoles for those rainy days, gym passes, we have added a blog that offers monthy specials and so much more. We hope you will revisit us soon and thank you again for your review it means so much to us.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We drove up from Alamogorda after spending time in White Sands National Monument (be sure not to miss seeing that while in the area!). We were tired of pricing hotels after being on the road for a while, so called ahead to book a room. For that reason, I do not know how the price compares to other hotels in the area because I did not do my homework.

All rooms are on the second floor - this was tough for us because we just finished hiking the grand canyon and walking was difficult, let alone dealing with stairs, although normally it would not be a problem. This is a unique hotel in an old building; quaint, nostalgic, clean and very comfortable. The rooms are a good size, but the bathroom in ours (#6) was tiny! Centrally located in this tiny little mountain town, the room was a breath of fresh air. Friendly staff - I would go back.

I would have given this 5 stars, but I was charged $5 more than I was quoted on the phone. I recommend giving this place a visit, but make sure you check how much you are charged versus quoted.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TXThumperGirl
Reviewed September 8, 2012

What great rooms....newly renovated and very roomy. Pack light, though. You will have to drag your luggage upstairs. If you get there late and you have reservations, your keys will be waiting on you in the mail box at the door. If you call from a cell phone, the area code is '575'...

Room Tip: Pack light since you have to carry your luggage upstairs. Make reservations in advance. I would bet...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank RoadGhost
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I recently returned to the Cloudcroft Hotel to get away from the heat of Houston. I was here about 2 years ago and enjoyed my stay then. When I got to the hotel, I was informed that the ownership of the hotel had just changed. Numerous differences were noted. The hotel now has WiFi as well as new flat screen TV's. The bed also seemed to be more comfortable this stay. maybe new mattresses? One thing has not changed however and that was Brad. Even though it had been about 2 years since my last stay, he recognized me and greeted me like a family member. Not only was it a pleasant change from the heat of Texas, but it was a pleasurable stay at the hotel.

Room Tip: Spend a little more and get a room with a window to enjoy the cool mountain air.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank HoustonBuddy1
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Room was small and dark due to a small window with no view. Room was clean and had normal amenities.I would advise to pay more and get the suite with a large window overlooking the Village.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank grandma10600
Reviewed April 23, 2012

The wife and I arrived after 5:00 PM and our key had been left for us in a box, so we let ourselves in and found our room upstairs, #1. We were the only ones in the hotel; there are only 7 rooms. Room #1 is fixed with antiques and a very large double window looking out the covered balcony. This room has the only balcony that faces the main street as you can overlook the entire downtown Cloudcroft area, which was basically deserted on the Saturday night we arrived. The room is quaint as the furniture is oak antiques - there were two queen beds in the room, both very comfortable. A flat screen TV; with thankfully no HBO, is also in the room. The only drawback to the entire stay was the claw-foot tub. There is no shower but a hose and a shower head allows for a limited "sit down" shower only. Sort of uncomfortable.... The room is directly above a boardwalk and next door to a restaurant and bar; so access to restaurants, bar and stores are downstairs. Not sure it would be a hotel for everyone, but if you want to walk back in time, then this is the place for you. I do not recommend for anyone that has difficulties getting up and down in the claw foot bathtub. The hotel had a "for sale" sign upon it at the time of our visit.

Room Tip: The best room in the hotel is #1, it has a balcony and outside covered seating area.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank USAsearcher
Reviewed August 11, 2010

My family and I stayed there one night in April and other than there not being a shower in the room (claw-foot tub only), we enjoyed our stay there thoroughly.
Our room faced the street and had a large balcony overlooking the town. The room contained antique decor and the two beds were a little hard but comfortable.
It is located above a boardwalk, so access to restaurants, a bar and stores are right downstairs. (See photo)
Definitely not a hotel for everyone, but if you want to step back in time and have a different hotel experience, this is the place to go.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Croback
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cloudcroft
Inn of the Mountain Gods Resort & Casino
#2 of 13 in Alamogordo
The Lodge Resort and Spa
The Lodge Resort and Spa
#2 of 6 in Cloudcroft

Been to Cloudcroft Hotel? Share your experiences!