Spruce Cabins
Dusty Boots Motel(Cloudcroft)(Great Value!)
$91
Summit Inn(Cloudcroft)
$65
The Crofting Inn(Cloudcroft)(Great Value!)
$119
TripAdvisor
Super 8 by Wyndham Alamogordo(Alamogordo)(Great Value!)
$62
$49
Hotels.com
White Sands Motel(Alamogordo)
$65
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This is a good place. The people managing were nice and helpful, The cabin was comfortable. The amenities vary from cabin to cabin as does the decor. Everything worked. The setting is beautiful and there is enough separation between cabins - no problems with noise from neighbors. I was completely satisfied. I wanted to have a couple of nights in a mountain cabin and that's just what I got. I expect cabins to be rustic yet comfortable, like these. I have trouble understanding the people who gave the place low ratings. What were they thinking?

Room Tip: Expect cabins. Expect to have to wait for the climate contol after you walk in the door. Do note that the cabins are all different and pay attention to the features of each and choose accordingly.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We drove into Cloudcroft without any accommodations booked. We were referred to Spruce Cabins as a place that would sleep 5 people and would probably let us stay just 1 night. We were lucky to walk in and find they had just what we needed. They were kind enough to check us in early and give us a later checkout. We found the atmosphere of the rooms matched our location. Rustic yet clean. Loved the old fridge in our room. Didn't use the fireplace but there was wood stacked right outside our door. Owners were super friendly. We Wished we would have stayed longer. Kids loved it too. Can't wait to go back. Next time we will stay a while. We stayed in Cabin 18.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Dydo2424
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Spruce cabins has some of the friendliest people I've ever met!
Their accommodations aren't fancy...But they don't claim to be.
The duplex cabins are small with double beds and a little bathroom. When I called for reservations the lady told me you could use the toilet, brush your teeth and wash your feet in the shower stall...She wasn't kidding but it suited our needs.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Christy007
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I have mixed thoughts on the rating and reluctantly give them the benefit of the doubt of 3 of 5 stars.
I spoke with them by phone as a result of some negative reviews, specifically asking which cabins had been remodeled/updated and had screens on the windows. I was told that most cabins had been updated and based on the weekend I requested (reserved about 6 wks in advance), was told my best option was cabin 19. I was specifically told that it had screens and had been updated.
Upon arrival, I discovered firstly that cabin 19 was only moderately updated and that only half the windows had screens. Very disappointing that they misled me. Further, there were only two small windows in the main room and a light fixture with low wattage lights. I found the cabin depressing as it was so dark.
The worst part was that the cabin backed up to the main road (see photo) --the left side of their property map implies it is mountains all around. I heard lots of road noise thru the single pane windows. To make matters worse, on the other side of the narrow valley they are developing the hillside so it was truck after truck up and down the mountain moving dirt. Out the door from our cabin was a dirt parking lot. I did not experience any "Rocky Mountain High" feeling as a result.
I will confess that I did not complain to the management because I did not think they could successfully address any of my complaints as they had no vacancy so I just swallowed my disappointment.
In the kitchen, there was a small stove/oven, refrigerator, microwave, toaster, basic kitchen dishes. Outside there is a picnic table and grill, a chair.
I would suggest that you look elsewhere into many other, better options.

Room Tip: look elsewhere
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank brownq8
ttscott1160, Owner at Spruce Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Thank you for letting us know your complaints. First off the map we provide is just so people can find their cabin. We also have a location map on our web page that shows our proximity to Hwy 82. It is unfortunate that the subdivider across the highway is developing the property, but isn't allowed to do work after 5pm or before 9 am. The good news it is almost done. I want to clarify that cabin 19 has a screen door on the front door. There are four other windows in the cabin, one which is a picture window that doesn't open and three others. 1 doesn't have a screen.I took your reservatiion and we descussed this at lengh and also about the bathroom was complety remodeled with upgraded appliances and electric so there is also a microwave, hair dryer and iron with ironing board. All the beds are new also. We do have a gravel road out in front of the cabin, but with this being Cloudcroft more than 70% of parking and roads are gravel. Many people feel it adds to our charm and with not even a traffic light our town definitely runs at a leisure pace. Sorry you felt you could talk with us, we are a small family owned business and pride ourselves in clean comfortable and affordable cabins.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

We discovered Cloudcroft, NM as we drove from San Antonio, TX looking for snow for our kids to play in. We just happened to find Spruce Cabins as we drove through Cloudcroft looking for a place to stay. This was definitely a blessing! The staff was friendly and helpful with recommendations for things to do in town. The rates are very reasonable. We stayed in cabin #1 which was rustic, but updated so you know the property is taken care of. We will definitely return and plan to make Spruce Cabins part of our tradition.

Room Tip: Cabin #1 has two queen beds in its room. Very comfy beds. Heater worked great. Has mini fridge and microwave as well. Bathroom had shower and bathtub. Great for family!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family