“disappointing”
Review of Spruce Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cloudcroft
Spruce Cabins
Atyrau, Kazakhstan
“disappointing”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I have mixed thoughts on the rating and reluctantly give them the benefit of the doubt of 3 of 5 stars.
I spoke with them by phone as a result of some negative reviews, specifically asking which cabins had been remodeled/updated and had screens on the windows. I was told that most cabins had been updated and based on the weekend I requested (reserved about 6 wks in advance), was told my best option was cabin 19. I was specifically told that it had screens and had been updated.
Upon arrival, I discovered firstly that cabin 19 was only moderately updated and that only half the windows had screens. Very disappointing that they misled me. Further, there were only two small windows in the main room and a light fixture with low wattage lights. I found the cabin depressing as it was so dark.
The worst part was that the cabin backed up to the main road (see photo) --the left side of their property map implies it is mountains all around. I heard lots of road noise thru the single pane windows. To make matters worse, on the other side of the narrow valley they are developing the hillside so it was truck after truck up and down the mountain moving dirt. Out the door from our cabin was a dirt parking lot. I did not experience any "Rocky Mountain High" feeling as a result.
I will confess that I did not complain to the management because I did not think they could successfully address any of my complaints as they had no vacancy so I just swallowed my disappointment.
In the kitchen, there was a small stove/oven, refrigerator, microwave, toaster, basic kitchen dishes. Outside there is a picnic table and grill, a chair.
I would suggest that you look elsewhere into many other, better options.

Room Tip: look elsewhere
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank brownq8
ttscott1160, Owner at Spruce Cabins, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you for letting us know your complaints. First off the map we provide is just so people can find their cabin. We also have a location map on our web page that shows our proximity to Hwy 82. It is unfortunate that the subdivider across the highway is developing the property, but isn't allowed to do work after 5pm or before 9 am. The good news it is almost done. I want to clarify that cabin 19 has a screen door on the front door. There are four other windows in the cabin, one which is a picture window that doesn't open and three others. 1 doesn't have a screen.I took your reservatiion and we descussed this at lengh and also about the bathroom was complety remodeled with upgraded appliances and electric so there is also a microwave, hair dryer and iron with ironing board. All the beds are new also. We do have a gravel road out in front of the cabin, but with this being Cloudcroft more than 70% of parking and roads are gravel. Many people feel it adds to our charm and with not even a traffic light our town definitely runs at a leisure pace. Sorry you felt you could talk with us, we are a small family owned business and pride ourselves in clean comfortable and affordable cabins.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We discovered Cloudcroft, NM as we drove from San Antonio, TX looking for snow for our kids to play in. We just happened to find Spruce Cabins as we drove through Cloudcroft looking for a place to stay. This was definitely a blessing! The staff was friendly and helpful with recommendations for things to do in town. The rates are very reasonable. We stayed in cabin #1 which was rustic, but updated so you know the property is taken care of. We will definitely return and plan to make Spruce Cabins part of our tradition.

Room Tip: Cabin #1 has two queen beds in its room. Very comfy beds. Heater worked great. Has mini fridge an...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Kathy P
Lubbock, Texas
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Older cabins with a rustic feel and everything you need for a relaxing getaway in the mountains. The staff was friendly and the cabins were located practically in the center of the village. They provide split firewood which is a bonus and a variety of cabins sizes with different amenities to fit your vacation needs.

We stayed in cabin #24 which is one of their smaller cabins, but the cabin was clean and neat. Our cabin had a television with basic cable, a small refrigerator, coffee pot, wall heater, and a wood burning fireplace. However, it is important to note that this cabin was built back in the 1950's and the bathroom was very small. Lets just put it this way...you can sit on the toilet and brush your teeth at the same time because the sink is really that close to the toilet.

Overall, the place is very charming and we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ttscott1160, Owner at Spruce Cabins, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
We are glad you enjoyed your stay. It was great meeting you guys and was a pleasure having you as customers. Please come again!
Navarre, Florida
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Stayed in a cabin with the family. Cloudcroft is a nice little town, cabins were nice, heater worked plus they had wood for the fire. Place taken care of very well. It had all the things you would need for a nice stay plus a great location to enjoy the town.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
ttscott1160, Owner at Spruce Cabins, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
We are so glad you enjoyed you visit. Please feel free when you are here again if there is anything we can help you with feel free to stop by the office.
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Our stay was wonderful. We stayed in cabin 4 and we choose it because it is across the street from the Nostalgia Room. Our family had our mother's 80th birthday party and we wanted to be close to where everyone was. The cleanliness of the room, the little bags of toiletries was really nice. There was even a iron and ironing board. Plus the picnic tables and chairs outside make it so nice for socializing. The ladies in the office are always nice! My husband and I still laugh because after one night my husband had to stumble home and it was great it wasn't far!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Kimberly R
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Their little rhyme on the desk says it all "No refund, no way, you pay, you stay" To which I would add "Stay Away". They are not kidding. You pay up front for the stay. Our cabin had no screens, so it had flies during the day, and moths during the night. Keeping the windows open meant sharing the cabins with any insect that wanted in. The paint outside was new, nothing inside was.

I will confess that the beds were comfortable. One small step.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bill M
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Great place to stay, great prices. Stayed a week and got the last night free. The staff was nice and the owners are doing a lot to update the property. Loved cooking outside and our kids loved the Boston terrier dog "Remi" as the office people to see her tricks. Will come again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cloudcroft
Cloudcroft Hotel
#1 of 3 in Cloudcroft
Summit Inn
Summit Inn
#3 of 3 in Cloudcroft

Been to Spruce Cabins? Share your experiences!