“Awesome Views”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Cloudcroft
Floyds Knobs, Indiana
“Awesome Views”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I was traveling with my boyfriend for a long weekend and we stayed here at night while taking day trips to other sites in New Mexico. If you are looking for rustic, this is the place. The Lodge has character and a very friendly and accomodating staff. The restaurant was also very nice with good menu selections and great service. We stayed at The Pavilion, across the road from the main building. The room was large and had sufficient amenities. It is in close proximity to several spots along the road where you can pull off and take in the views.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Chrystal W, Guest Relations Manager at The Lodge Resort and Spa, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Thank You for choosing The Lodge. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and the kind comments. We hope to serve you again. Thank You.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Ennis, Texas
Reviewed November 12, 2013

wonderfull old resort that also caters to B & B type folks or couples who just want to get away from it all.... yes US highest golf course out back too.
very old building but still has its original character... so don't complain about little details.
Restaurant has very good menu and piano music on weekends... might be slow when crowded but we got great service before the rush... breakfast was great.

Room Tip: room 243 is corner room so you get both sunrise and sunset light views... although I think the ghost...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
It is very rewarding to hear you had a good time at The Lodge. We aren’t actually the highest golf course; according to GolfWorld.com we’re the 5th highest in the United States. The room tip is priceless! Thank You for taking the time to share your experience and tips. We hope to see you again soon.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We were traveling with a pet so stayed in 'The Pavilion' vs The Lodge. It was rustic to say the least. It was paneled throughout (including the ceiling), so quite dark; the bed was not very good; and there was no decent reading light in the room...which was quite small. We had breakfast in the Lodge Dinning Room in the morning. While the food was good (excluding the over-baked and dried-out biscuits) and sufficient to start the day; the service was VERY slow...and there were only 4 other guests in the room when we arrived! (I would hate to be there when they had a full house!) Our waiter was not very attentive; but the busboy was great! On the plus side; the location is beautiful and the lodge is a grand old 100+ year old building. We always enjoy staying in Victorian B&B's around the country and abroad and know not to expect many of the amenities found in more modern hotels; but this was a big disappointment for us.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MauiGirl107
Thank You for sharing your experience and giving us constructive feedback. Your comments have been shared with the appropriate managers and will be used for training. Thank You.
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I wrote a separate review of the hotel restaurant and bar "Rebecca's," this is just for the hotel. My girl and I spent our very first weekend together at the Lodge a little over a year ago. This year I called several weeks ahead of my visit to plan the perfect romantic getaway to set the stage for my marriage proposal to my now fiancée. Neal Macfarland, the reservationist, was incredibly helpful in getting everything ready. I bought a package deal that included two night stay, dinner, breakfast, and a couples massage. He also scheduled a tee time for me on their golf course. He also helped me set up the proposal in the hotel's tower. After I made all the plan's for the proposal he called to tell me that the tower was decorated for Halloween and was probably not the best setting for a proposal. I was really set on proposing in the tower so I asked if it was possible to get the decorations out for just that night. He said he would have to talk to Lisa, the General Manager. Lisa called me several days later and was incredibly sweet and generally amazing. We were able to work out a deal to get the Halloween decorations out of the tower! What amazing staff! I was so surprised that they truly did put the customer first!

Anyway, the room I booked was the Governor's Suite. The room was stunning when we got there and they had champagne (well, New Mexico Sparkling Wine) waiting for us in the room. The Lodge is unlike anyplace you will ever stay in your life. When you first walk in, the main room has a gorgeous fireplace with a fire crackling. The rooms are smaller than your basic hotel, but it is very quaint and extremely romantic. If you are in the area you must at least drop in to see The Lodge, even if you can't stay.

If you like to play golf, you must see this course. Some holes are really challenging, but it is a great course!

I don't get massages, so I can't really judge if my massage was good or not...but it felt great to me. My Fiancée said that it was on the best massages she has ever had.

In summary, The Lodge will always be special to me and my future wife. We are planning our next stay around Christmas time and we will be brining my sister and brother-in-law with us. If you go to The Lodge just ask the front desk for the key to the tower. Don't leave until you see the view.

Room Tip: The Governor's Suite is absolutely amazing! Our first stay was in a Parlor Suite, and it was als...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
We can’t express enough how honored we are to have been a part of your special memory. These moments are the greatest reward for us. Thank You for taking the time to share your review. We’ll see you and your family soon.
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Reviewed October 13, 2013

My husband and I had a chance to stay overnight at The Lodge recently, having won a silent
auction for accommodation and also the Sunday Brunch.
We live in Las Cruces NM so a chance to get out of the heat was very welcome,.We arrived early for our 4pm check in but were able to get our room early. The front desk staff were very friendly and asked if we were ok with a room on the third floor.(there are no elevators). We are relatively fit so it did not bother us. The room was small as most turn of the century properties were, but prettily decorated with Victoriana and antiques. Water was hot , bed comfortable and lovely view from the dormer window of the forest.
Unfortunately the antique chairs were rickety,one had a loose rung the other a busted spring so a bit risky sitting down
The décor of the hotel is interesting , reminiscent of hunting lodges with stuffed animals heads mounted in the great room and a huge fireplace ,which would be lovely on a snowy winters day.
If you are not a golfer , we are not , there isn't much in the way of grounds to explore ,however the forest and town is close by and there are hikes and a few shops to check out.
Good for an overnight stay but not longer in my books.

Room Tip: If you cant climb ask for a room on the main floor
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Libertyville, Illinois
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We went to Cloudcroft to do some hiking which can be a bit challenging for lowlanders at 9000 ft! We found the Lodge beautiful and charming, and often sat out in the back soaking in the warm fire pit by the pool. The free breakfast was wonderful and the star gazing at night was amazing. We stayed at the Pavilion which was very quiet and within walking distance of everything, although the walk up to the Lodge for breakfast was a bit of a challenge! We'd come back for sure.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Cortez, Colorado, United States
Reviewed September 29, 2013

The Lodge is a place that you would expect to stay at when you visit Cloudcroft NM. You are at near 9000 feet above sea level, and the forest is so pretty and the air is so clean and when you stay at the lodge, it just feels right. They didn't have any rooms available in the main lodge, so I was put up in the Pavillion just a 1/4 mile down the road, and it was great. It had the feel of a cozy little log cabin, which was just perfect. Breakfast was included and it was very tasty and the bed was very comfortable. The only complaint I had was that when I checked in there was a large spider in my shower and then the next morning there was another large spider on the ceiling in the bathroom. My stay was very quick, as I was just in need of a place to sleep for the night. But from what I saw, its decent. I didn't see the ghost of Rebecca, but I overheard some people talking near me at breakfast and they saw her.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cloudcroft
Cloudcroft Hotel
Fairfield Inn & Suites Alamogordo
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#7 of 13 in Alamogordo

Been to The Lodge Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!