“Cloudcroft is beautiful”

The Lodge Resort and Spa
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Cloudcroft
Reviewed September 29, 2013

The Lodge is a place that you would expect to stay at when you visit Cloudcroft NM. You are at near 9000 feet above sea level, and the forest is so pretty and the air is so clean and when you stay at the lodge, it just feels right. They didn't have any rooms available in the main lodge, so I was put up in the Pavillion just a 1/4 mile down the road, and it was great. It had the feel of a cozy little log cabin, which was just perfect. Breakfast was included and it was very tasty and the bed was very comfortable. The only complaint I had was that when I checked in there was a large spider in my shower and then the next morning there was another large spider on the ceiling in the bathroom. My stay was very quick, as I was just in need of a place to sleep for the night. But from what I saw, its decent. I didn't see the ghost of Rebecca, but I overheard some people talking near me at breakfast and they saw her.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed September 21, 2013

I was a bit leery of staying here because of some people's negative reviews, but I am so glad I did. Granted, I'm not used to fancy glamorous resorts, so maybe that's what the naysayers were expecting when they stayed here. I found this hotel fascinating. All of the staff were wonderfully warm and friendly, and the decor throughout was such to make you stop and look at it. One great thing- although the building is very old, it does not have that musty smell that some historic buildings have (the tower smells musty, but that's to be expected, since hardly anyone goes up there). I also liked that the maids did not come into the room first thing in the morning- it annoys me when the maid service invades my room instead of waiting until I check out. When I first walked into the room, I almost felt like I was in a movie set. The flowered wallpaper, the quaint old armchairs, the darling bathroom with a stand sink and a little cupboard for towels, an old fashioned radiator, an old wooden radio set- I really feel like I stepped back in time. The room wasn't giant but I didn't find it inconveniently small, and the tv was a regular old-fashioned bulky one rather than a giant flat screen, which was fine with me because I spent my time exploring the town rather than watching tv. The Lodge has several rooms with chess and other games set up, and a spacious lobby with a big fireplace and cushy chairs to encourage socializing. You can also rent board games from the front desk, which I found neat. Although it's old, the hotel has been very well kept and clean, and I found it to be a truly unique and personal experience, much better than being at a standardized boring hotel with more ammenities.
Note: On Wednesday nights, Rebecca's (the restaurant in the hotel) advertises a prime rib special, $18 for 10 oz of prime rib plus salad, potato and bread. You don't have to be dressed to the nines but I would bring a nice polo shirt or equivalent to eat at the restaurant.

Room Tip: The whole hotel recently got new mattresses which are wonderfully cushy!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stopped in Cloudcroft on our way from Texas to the Grand Canyon. I am glad we stayed here. In June it was perfectly cool compared to the hot deserts we drove though. Only 30 minutes from the freeway and your transported into a pine forest.

The lodge itself is quite nice. We stayed in what I would call a mini-suite. The place is 100 years old so the rooms are not huge. The grounds are very nice to walk. My wife and I took photos and enjoyed the quiet areas around the lodge. My wife is afraid of heights, so she didn't join me in the tower, but I took some great photos from there.

Make sure that if you are there on a cloudless night to wake up and go see the stars. I woke up at 3am and the front desk person was very nice and told me where the best spot at the hotel was to see the stars. (At the un-lit deck behind the golf shop). I sat for three hours on a moonless night watching shooting stars, and taking amazing photos of the milkyway.

The food at the resturant is great, especially breakfast.

The lodge however does loose one star for the service. We booked a couple spa package, we were scheduled to be at the spa at 5:45. We arrived at the hotel and checked in a 4:00. Over an hour later the lady at the front desk told me that their masseuse had come searchig for us and then decided to leave. We were not hard to find and had passed the front desk many times since arriving. They tried to see if I would cancel out spa time. We ended up having to be fit into the first time slot they had the next morning. The spa manager was very apologetic the next morning, and we got a free upgrade. In the end it worked out well.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms that face the hotel entry area. We ended up having a view of arriving cars, and a se...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We had never a taken vacation to Cloudcroft and we were absolutely dazzled. The Lodge is a Victorian style hotel that been masterfully retrofitted with all the modern conveniences. The restaurant is an elegant, five star delight. Our server Marianne was exceptional. The entire staff was friendly, helpful, and within a few hours, everyone knew our names. I don't want to slight anyone because they were all awesome; but many thanks to Lisa, Jennifer, Donna, & Susie. The golf course was fun, in excellent condition, and Sonny & Mike were outstanding. Be sure and rent a cart! Cloudcroft is one of the friendliest and customer service oriented communities in the Southwest. An absolutely incredible stay.

Room Tip: Naturally it is better to get a room on the upper floor to get the best view of the mountains and va...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here one night. The hotel has a certain old time charm and location is excellent. Room was small, but clean and comfortable. We particularly enjoyed our dinner at Rebecca's, the hotel restaurant. Fine dining and a nice wine list.
Would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Our expectations WERE NOT met by this so called Resort and Spa. We were meeting friends there for a couple of days. They were staying in the Pavilion but when we called to make reservations we were told that there were no rooms available in that portion, so we booked in the main hotel. We enjoy the old hotels in the mountains but this one was not up to Par. The room was very small (not really the problem) the linens on the bed were horrible. Not Resort quality. Old and definitely polyester blends as they had what we call pills on them. Not comfortable at all. The bathroom smelled of urine and mildew. There was hair in the tub and the floor was not really very clean. The fixtures on the sink and tub were corroded and dirty. As it turns out, our friends were the only people who were in the Pavillon that night. I don't know if the rooms were not suitable for guests or what.

The wait staff in the bar where we decided to eat the bar menu food were awful. I hope that he was new as he did not know a think about serving and taking an order. Our meals were brought to us without the condiments that accompany them. We had to ask for everything when we were lucky enough to see him.

This place is not a resort! Don't go if you think you are going to find luxury. You will not even find clean which is definitely what I expected.

We spent nearly $200 to spend 1 night and have bar food. Not good!

Room Tip: Ask for the Pavilion. We saw the room our friends stayed in and it was much nicer than the main hot...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 815Vacationer
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We wanted a short get-away and decided on Cloudcroft. In short, Cloudcroft is a very small mountaintop community with average to below average amenities. If you want activities other than great hiking and beautiful scenery - go somewhere else. The Lodge is probably the best place to stay - given the sketchy alternatives. Some of the reviews would lead you to believe the Lodge is an elegant old hotel. It is not - but they are trying. The rooms are incredibly small, but clean and otherwise somewhat comfortable. Sometimes things work, sometimes they don't. For example, our bathtub stopper never worked. The in-room coffee pot worked intermittently. No big deal. Rebecca's is a nice restaurant. The food is good - maybe the best you will find in Cloudcroft. The staff is friendly and helpful. Lower your expectations and give it a try.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank davidmcurtis
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cloudcroft
Inn of the Mountain Gods Resort & Casino
Magnuson Hotel and Suites Alamogordo
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#7 of 13 in Alamogordo

Been to The Lodge Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!