“Clines corner ...and real cowboys!”
Review of Clines Corners

Clines Corners
Reviewed October 26, 2012

The gift shop section has been remodeled since our last visit, but the restaurant is still the same and is being challenged by an in house Subway. We usually only stop for Route 66 sodas (I use the bottles in my kiln work) for the large restrooms and occasionally to eat. We had a green chili cheeseburger this stop with some of the best fries I have had. This is not just a tourist trap as previously reviewed by others. We ate next to a table of 5 cowboys and 1 cowgirl who were locals who stopped for lunch. They were dressed in boots, jeans, hats...and SPURS...all of them. They joked with our waitress and had obviously been there before. As we left, we pulled around 4 pickups with trailers hauling saddled horses. And I bought 5 bottles of soda.

1  Thank Badgelady

Reviewed March 20, 2012

Stopped and ordered an egg and hash brown breakfast burrito to go. Paid $8, left, got a few miles down the road to find a bean burrito. Called and asked that my credit card be refunded and they said only in person!!

They cater to the fact that everyone is transient and don't care about poor service.

NEVER STOP HERE!!!

1  Thank LULU PiNKA
Reviewed March 10, 2012

So, its 6:40pm on a Saturday night when we pulled into Cline's Corners. I had been wanting to stop there for the past few hours since we left Laughlin, NV.

When we got to the door, it was locked and a guy was on the other side motioning that the store was closed. I asked when closing time was, he said 7:00pm.

It was 6:41pm.

I told him about his simple mistake but he really didn't care. He was only letting people out, not in to shop.

Turns out, a steady stream of would-be customers were also turned away for the next minutes.

We needed some gas and snacks, but I decided to just urinate in their disgusting bathroom at the fuel-stop building on the same property -- I wasn't about to give them a penny of mine after that sad display. They obviously hate their customers and probably laugh each night they lock the doors at the ridiculous 7:00 closing time.

Cline's Corners has a long history and it's a shame what it has become: A travel center that doesn't welcome travelers.

1  Thank Airdorn
Reviewed January 15, 2012

Stop here if you love having prices marked up WAY above normal. Gas is always .40 to .60 cents more expensive than the neighboring towns. If you get stuck here out of gas I would recommend putting a gallon or two and then proceeding to the nearest town in any direction and fill up there to save yourself 5 or 10 bucks. Even the Subway here is a markup nightmare and does not even participate in the $5 Footlong pricing because making things more affordable for customers while still making a profit is not what Clines Corners is about!! I avoid stopping here at all costs and suggest you do the same unless you have money just burning a hole in your pocket and you think they deserve your hard earned money more than you do. The one redeeming quality I can find is the remodeled bathroom facilities which are spotless and I am actually surprised they don't have coin collecters on the stalls...

1  Thank mike m
Reviewed October 13, 2011

Places like Cline's Corners developed out of necessity. 60 years ago, cars needed more gas, more water and more service. 60 years ago people needed more breaks as well, no A/C, bad seats, bad shocks, etc. Nowadays it is easy to zip from Amarillo to Albuquerque, in 1950, not so much. Travelers have changed, and so have retailers.

This is a tourist trap and a damn "good" one. Get out and stretch your legs but keep your expectations in check and your money in your wallet. OK.... maybe get a NM keychain and a rubber tomahawk, but no more.

1  Thank uncle_stu66