“Places like this are all about expectations”
Review of Clines Corners

Clines Corners
Reviewed October 13, 2011

Places like Cline's Corners developed out of necessity. 60 years ago, cars needed more gas, more water and more service. 60 years ago people needed more breaks as well, no A/C, bad seats, bad shocks, etc. Nowadays it is easy to zip from Amarillo to Albuquerque, in 1950, not so much. Travelers have changed, and so have retailers.

This is a tourist trap and a damn "good" one. Get out and stretch your legs but keep your expectations in check and your money in your wallet. OK.... maybe get a NM keychain and a rubber tomahawk, but no more.

1  Thank uncle_stu66

Reviewed June 11, 2011

Waited 40 minutes for our food at 4pm. My husband never gets frustrated but made us leave. The floors were filthy.

2  Thank Roadtripguru1113
Reviewed July 30, 2009

I stopped here at about 7:45pm on a Thursday. Just after I got in, they were locking the doors. I honestly didn't see any hours posted. I understand things are different in New Mexico but closing the "must see" spot at 8pm? Premium gas was $3.19 a gallon! YIKES! Definitely stop for gas in Santa Rosa, Santa Fe or Albuquerque. It's an interesting, kitschy, nostalgic place with lots of overpriced "Indian" stuff. Don't be surprised to see "Made In China". The parking lot is difficult to navigate with the potholes. Be careful!

4  Thank DSumTx
Reviewed October 18, 2007

Cline's Corners has been a "must stop" for me since the mid-70's. We travel to the Santa Fe, New Mexico area from Dallas, Texas twice a year to visit loved ones and generally attend the Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque yearly.

Signs of poor management are evident at even a glance. The physical buildings are deterorating inside and out. If you're doubtful visit the public restrooms. I promise you won't find one worse or fouler anywhere! I wonder what the kitchen looks like, or if it has been cleaned more recently than the rest of the place.

The Cafe was a place once looked forward to. Two previous visits left me with the idea that they may have been having a bad day and needed staff had called in or hadn't shown up. My visit this October convinces me that anyone who was supposed to show up to work had; it just wasn't that many were expected. The dining room was perhaps one fourth full. Two servers were seeing coming and going; mostly going. After ten or fifteen minutes a server arrived to take drink orders (coffee). Within three minutes the other server arrived to take to do the same. When she heard we'd just given our drink order to the other day she snipped "well I'll take your food order then!". That left me to assume the first was a busser and not a waitress, but no other clues were forthcoming during our meal as neither were in evidence much in the dining room.

Food arrived later, the coffee cup refilled and guest check plunked down at the same time. No one ever returned to the table or even to the vicinity. I watched as two tables walked out and saw one table of about six as they drummed their fingers on the table and squirmed uncomfortably.

The food was forgettable, service as poor as you'll see. Those things added to a crumbling and dirty building, poorly maintained approaches and parking lot, high cafe prices, high gasoline prices, high gift shop prices and employees that looked as though they must have dropped in originally as hitchhikers...This place formerly not to be missed should be avoided at all costs.

Oh, a closing note. Most of their many, many billboards for hundreds of miles were damaged, faded or in disrepair. Why I didn't pay more attention to what the signs were really saying I can't explain, it was all there and as evident as could be.

4  Thank mpowell
Reviewed September 5, 2007

Clines Corners advertises itself on billboards for miles around on I-40 as being a famous Route 66 stop. While Clines Corners certainly has a long history, its present leaves a lot to be desired. We stopped here for gas, restrooms, and snacks and were shocked by the fuel prices ($0.30 more per gallon than even in Santa Fe, NM on the same day), at least two other customers verbally exclaimed about the prices while I was filling up myself. The restrooms in the gas station building (we did not go in the larger gift shop building) were absolutely disgusting. Soiled walls and floors, inoperative toilets, and a foul stench greeted both male and female customers. The counter staff (so many people were loitering behind the counter and the adjoining office area I assume they were staff) creepily stared at us as we made our purchases. We picked our way through the crater sized potholes in the parking lot and got out of there as quickly as possible with no intention of ever stopping there again.

5  Thank civilengtiger