“Interesting place!”
Review of Hotel Eklund

Hotel Eklund
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Clayton
Reviewed July 16, 2014

As we drove up to the hotel Eklund, the proprietors were having dinner outside. They were very nice and accommodating even though we had interrupted their dinner, we were shown two different rooms. We chose the Eklund suite, room 201. This was actually a room that had been converted to a suite from two smaller rooms. The living room has a TV, fridge, and sink, as well as access to the balcony overlooking the Main Street of Clayton. The bedroom had a king bed, good pillows and linens, and a separate AC unit. The bathroom has two big pedestal sinks and a giant jacuzzi tub that actually works! I think we paid $140 for the night which was reasonable considering the size and quality of the room. The only negative: they need to replace the old blue chair in the living room that looks like it dates back to the 70's. Also, clean up that enclosed front office or at least block the view from the lobby.

The restaurant food was good and reasonably priced. If we ever make it back to Clayton, we will definitely stay there again and drink wine on the balcony.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jamerican260

Reviewed July 14, 2014

This is a really neat historic hotel. The first time I stayed I had one of the rooms on the second floor with a balcony. The room was basic, but clean, and the wifi worked well. The woman at the front desk was friendly.

The second time I had a room on the third floor. The paint in the room was rough condition. The air handling system was obtrusive, loud and ugly. It didn't work well, either. No one answered the phone at the front desk, so I had to make two separate trips downstairs to locate employees. The first was for blankets because the room was so cold. The second was for toilet paper; there was none in the bathroom. Two different people helped me, and they were both nice.

I needed to check my email after arriving. The wifi wasn't working. I went downstairs to see if it was a location issue, but I had no luck down in the lobby, either. I travel frequently for business, and when this happens at hotels the router usually needs to be rebooted. When I asked the man at the desk, he checked *his* internet (which was obviously from a wired connection) and said it was o.k. and there was nothing he could do. I mentioned resetting the router, and he just shrugged. Getting up and out of his chair just wasn't a viable option. Not cool. After locating another staff member, the router was reset and guess what? The internet worked.

There are vegetarian options on the dinner menu. The food is o.k., but not consistent (I've eaten in the dining room about 8 different times). The breakfast could be called "continental" at best. Only carbs available for the vegetarians. If you need something hearty, you'll have to go elsewhere.

With the exception of one woman, the staff seems to be different every time I'm there.

Overall, I would recommend staying here just because it's not a corporate chain. However, there *are* some issues. Don't expect perfection.

Room Tip: The rooms with the balcony on the second floor are most likely the nicest.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank amy1971
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

Driving from I-25 to Amarillo we decided that we were just too tired to drive on. We found the Eklund on line and booked a double. When we arrived my 14 year old asked why it didn't resemble a Comfort Inn. I explained to him that it appeared to be a historic hotel. He insisted it looked "dodgy". Well it's anything but dodgy.

The lobby was build around 1894 and most of the original fixtures remain after restoration. The staff was ever so friendly and accommodating even though they were slammed at 11:00 pm when we arrived.

The old bar is worthy of the Menger Hotels Roughrider bar in looks and history.

The rooms were large, nicely appointed, although a bit sparse. The bed was very comfortable. I loved getting a real room key to the room. The bathroom was very large and the amenities were nice

The best part if this experience was running into to my next door neighbors who run the Crystal River Inn in San Marcos. Over breakfast they tell me that the Eklund is on a list of must see hotels that is circulated amongst proprietors of Historic hotels and Bed and Breakfasts.

The breakfast consisted of home made, buttery sweet rolls, ham and cheese croissants, quiche ad oatmeal served with coffee and juice.

I'd stay here again just to support the owners who have put their heart and soul into this historic property the fact that it's a great place to stay makes it even better.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank DSergi
Reviewed June 26, 2014

This was our first trip through Clayton and I was not sure what to expect from a historic hotel. As it turned out, I was pleasantly surprised. The room was nice (had a bit of a leak in the AC unit, but we were able to live with it) and clean. The folks running the front desk were very nice and accommodating. The bathroom was updated and very nice. We ate next door in the saloon and the food there was good. Breakfast the next morning ran a bit late opening, but was homemade and delicious! All in all, a very nice experience!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Patty L
Reviewed June 18, 2014

After calling from on the road and getting the vaguest, least professional account of whether a room was available and if someone would be at front desk if we arrived late, we decide to forego the Eklund. Stopped there the next day driving thru Clayton, just to check it out. While we did not see a guest room, the lobby was a little cluttered and dusty looking, but worse, it smelled like old grease from the dining room, where we also decided to forego lunch. Maybe I'm not giving them a fair shake, but I debated trying the Eklund for a long time based on such mixed reviews here, and maybe we missed out on a real gem, but I am not sorry we skipped it.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2014

The staff was helpful and friendly. That's the only nice thing I have to say. Got to our room and it hadn't been cleaned, dirty linen in a pile on a chair. Got another room, toilet backed up. Continental breakfast sucked. Will not stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed June 16, 2014

It's not a cookie cutter modern motel. It's a great experience in a well preserved turn of the 20th century hotel. Lovely saloon and dining room. Friendly staff. Grace, charm and history. It fits perfectly into this old time small town. Take advantage of the opportunity. The desk clerk will fill you up with the building's and town's history. If you can book in one of the three rooms that are on the front of the hotel you can sit on a huge shared balcony and enjoy the peace of days gone by, Black Jack Ketchum's hanging being a exception.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple