“Elegant Eklund is NOW open!”
Review of Hotel Eklund

Hotel Eklund
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Clayton
Reviewed June 8, 2011

We did not stay, but dined in the restaurant and it was really great! The atmosphere is like stepping back in time to an elegant hotel of the 1800's. We were a bit ashamed to be wearing blue jeans, but everyone else had them on. The "Surf N'Turf" dinner was delicious and had very generous portions. The service was very attentive. Everything was superb, so much so that my mom said, "Now that we have experienced this, we may as well turn around and head home!"

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank D2CB

Reviewed May 7, 2011

I can't comment on the food in the restaurant, or the stay at the hotel (yet)
We were driving through Clayton today and our GPS took us here for lunch. It's a beautiful historic 3-story building in a cool old downtown. We were looking forward to eating here.

They were remodling, and signs said they'd be open soon. We were peering inside the window at the restaurant, "oohing and ahing" when a lady asked "were you wanting to have lunch here?" She owns the store next door, and is good friends with the owners, and asked if we'd like to see inside. We said HECK YEAH!

She took us to the side, and called the owners (who were working inside) out to let us in. She gave us a personal tour herself! The place is awesome! Original inlaid wood fireplaces, the original bar from the 1800s, original Chandiliers and glass - even the safe!

We saw the hotel lobby and some of the rooms on the 2nd floor. We were blown away!

The restaurant and hotel will both re-open in 2 weeks. As I said, I can't comment on the food or service, but I can tell you the restaurant and hotel look awesome! If you're looking for a historic get-away, this will be a great place! Give it another try! I know I will.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank afmel
Reviewed November 3, 2010

The Eklund was a cool hotel with a decent restaurant. But it is closed. They have bon-amied the windows. No more two-dollar bills in your change.
It's a shame. But it's GONE.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LasloNimne
jphil66, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Eklund, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2011

This review from 2010 and the ones in previous years are now irrelevant. The Eklund has reopened as of June, 2011. Check out the recent 2011 reviews.....they're great!
NOTE: IT'S NOW THE HOTEL EKLUND.........A RETURN TO THE ORIGINAL NAME. TO LOCATE THE NEW WEBSITE BE SURE TO SEARCH FOR "HOTEL EKLUND" The old Eklund Hotel site is still out there and is causing some confusion. ---Jerry Phillips, P.R.

Reviewed September 24, 2008

I've stayed at the Eklund many times over the past five years and have always been satisfied. Nothing fancy but a good, solid, charming, historic hotel. I hadn't been back for nine months or so and the change is shocking. Had difficulty confirming a reservation over the phone, the check-in clerk was a young punk strung out on something, the room had obviously not been vacuumed in days, if not weeks. More shocking was that the bar & restaurant are no longer open on Tuesday or Thursdays. I happen to think that's a huge business error but regardless, it would be a good idea to at least notify people of the service changes when they make reservations. No food or drink is available on these days and the hotel is deserted. It felt spooky and unsafe. There aren't many other dinner choices in Clayton so this makes a huge difference. We would have adjusted our travel plans had we known the restaurant & saloon would be closed on two days of our visit. There also was no maid service during our three day stay - they seemed to only service rooms between guests. We didn't need full service but a clean towel or two would have been nice. And that's not counting the fact the bedspreads were already filthy when we arrived.

I've always touted the Eklund and even bragged about it to tourists not from NM but never again. Unless I hear that the owners have made some changes and gotten their stuff together, it is unlikely I'll ever stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Travel_Daughter
Reviewed September 21, 2008

In so many ways the trip to Clayton was excellent. Having travelled the US extensively, this was the first time we got to know the locals and got invited from the Eklund Bar to the Veteran's bar (there are only 2 bars in town). All in all we had a great night and it was down to the friendly locals in the Eklund Bar. We also got invited in to the histroic Luna Cinema across the road by the 76 yr old owner who was up a ladder changing the name of the film at the time! However, the hotel itself was a bit disappointing, simply because of the house keeping. A few years ago it was given a total rennovation and I'm disappointed that the hotel isn't treated with a bit more respect. We checked in - the guy on the desk was a little grumpy - and as we walked up the stairs I noticed that they hadn't been vacuumed for quite some time and unfortunately, this carried on into the upstairs hallways and our room. The room was simply furnished and apart from the dirty floor was generally ok. The bathroom didn't smell too fresh, but probably just down to the old plumbing. The hotel room just felt a little 'down at heel'. We booked into the suite at the front of the hotel and had access to the balcony which was brilliant. We unfortunately ended up with around 20 flies in the room because there wasn't a fly screen on the door. We didn't get to eat in the hotel (dinner or breakfast) because the refrigerator had broken and no food was being served. There are limited choices in town, but we ate at Rabbit Ear which was quite good no frills American food. Clayton is a unique place and I wanted to be able to write a great review about the Eklund but you can't ignore a mess on the floor!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank Lisa_J_B
Reviewed August 6, 2008

I stopped in for dinner one evening when in town, went to the dinning room which is full of old world charm and certainly a place to see when there. The service was very slow as they were busy that night with a couple of parties. The food arrived hot and was very tastie but the steak was done far too much and way beyon how I had ordered it. Overall a place I would return to.

• Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed October 9, 2007

This was the second time I stayed at the Eklund on my way to Aspen, CO. It's a wonderful historic hotel - the tallest building in town. The room prices are so reasonable! I spent $83 for a queen-sized bed & room as I was traveling alone. The room has beautiful antique furniture and a very comfortable bed. It also had the best pillows I've ever slept on! Everything was clean and fresh - the sheets were so soft. There were no frills, simplicity at it's best.

Truly the most amazing part of this experience is really the people and the town. Everyone is so friendly! The ladies working the Eklund front desk were tremendous. I was so impressed when one of them greeted me by my first name without us ever being introduced. And it's not just the staff! The entire town is welcoming! They drive by and they smiled and waved at me. In the restaurant the local diners greet you. It's just such a warm hearted experience in general!

Another great attribute is the bar. The Eklund has the only bar in town. I had the great fortune to meet an older gentleman outside the hotel - we were "banished" to the outdoors as Clayton, NM no longer allows smoking indoors for public facilities. We chatted and he invited me in for a drink where I met three of his friends who proved to be some of the most interesting characters i've ever encountered in my 32 years. The beer flowed and the conversation limitless - a great time altogether.

The next morning I ate breakfast at the bar. The prices are low and the food is acceptable. Absolutely no complaints.

Don't miss Clayton, NM! and definitely don't miss the Eklund!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank marichu_23