“Very nice old hotel”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cimarron
Express St. James Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cimarron
Reviewed September 25, 2013

The hotel met our expectations and the staff was friendly and very helpful. The hotel was almost like a museum with all the pictures and famous people that stayed their during the "Wild West Days". You can see the bullet holes in the bar ceiling from the "old" days. We weren't able to take a formal tour on Sunday (not available on Sunday) but we were able to meander around the entire hotel on our own and do fine. The restaurant and bar were nice as well. Would definitely recommend the hotel if you are in the area.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Express St. James Hotel

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Enjoyed late breakfast at the hotel while driving through Cimarron. Lots of colorful gunslinger, outlaw and even haunted history at this place. Watched the free 10 minute video in the adjoining hotel lobby. Food nd service were ok, however the western history was exceptional. Would like to stay overnight in the future.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed for the ghosts, however, i was so tired that the only thing that happened that I was aware of was something ran into my bed in the middle of the night. The room was huge and comfortable, loved the clawfoot tub which totally helped me relax and get a great rest. I will love to go back :) Love the history and the service was 100% great all the way around.

Room Tip: I had the Philip Waite room. Huge Kingsized bed.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

We spent the night here on our way to Red River for the third year in a row. It was just as lovely and comfortable as our previous stays. We reserved a room in the annex which does not have the historic charm of the older rooms but I am more comfortable with ac and television so the annex suits me fine. The rooms are clean, comfortable, and spacious. Of course, the loveliest part of the St. James is the courtyard. The flowers and murals provide a perfect place to enjoy the glorious weather and the great drinks from the bar. We had a wonderful dinner with excellent service, spent time enjoying the full moon over the courtyard, had a peaceful rest, and headed on our way the next morning fortified with a tasty complimentary breakfast. I hope I can make an annual trip to the St. James for a delightful escape from the outside world!!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The St. James Hotel in Cimarron, New Mexico, is simply one of those old hotels one needs to experience. The hotel has been in business since 1872 serving clients like Wyatt Earp, Jesse James, Buffalo Bill Cody and the Billy-the-kid and others traveling on the old Cimarron Trail.

The hotel is haunted and if you believe in spirits you should find some here. The first time I stayed here was a cold night in November a number of years ago. I was the only guest and stayed in the room of Mary Lambert the wife of the original owner. I was taking a bath prior to dinner and felt that I was being watched and then all of a sudden I could smell a woman’s perfume. I am told that would be Mary watching. While staying in Mary’s Room more recently, Mary did not pay me a visit, perhaps because my wife was with me.

Still, the St. James is a great adventure. Can be a little warm on a summer night with only a fan going. They are supposed to have wireless internet, but we could not get a connection, and of course, no television in your room. That is okay as I was expecting a visit from a spirit.

Since I was last here they remodeled the dining room. I actually liked it the way it was before with bullet holes in the ceiling, but I guess the owners felt that they had to modernize the place, well somewhat. Dinner of salad bar and prime rib was good. The menu does have a good variety and besides there are not many options in Cimarron as the town is a little quiet. One can only imagine what it was like in the 1870s! Fun place.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We were in the area to visit Philmont Scout Ranch and do some hiking. We decided to stay at the James for the history, the experience, and to be scared. We got what we paid for. We stayed in the Annie Oakley room. The room has a sitting room, an old fashioned bathroom with clawfoot tub and a shower sprayer that you have to hold up to use, and a bedroom. The room is very old fashioned in style. The only modern conveniences in the room are a fan and a hair dryer. The floor creaks a lot and you have to speak quietly as everything can be heard out in the hall.

I didn't know that I believed so strongly in ghosts until I stayed here. Down the hall are the supposedly haunted rooms of room 18, a spirit who got shot after a poker game (the room is now padlocked shut), and Mary Lambert's room (the original owner's wife who is said to be a protector of the hotel). I'm glad we didn't stay in the haunted room since staying down the hall scared me enough. I woke up several times throughout the night praying for morning. The only ghostly encounter we had was smelling roses upon our arrival to the hotel (the scent left behind by Mary when she is present). The breakfast buffet included in the price of the room is AMAZING.

Stay here for the history and to be scared out of your mind.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

Totally loved the atmosphere! People who work there need to take some customer service classes. Found two people who were nice out of all the staff. Rooms smelled like mildew and the food was not all that great.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Shawnase
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cimarron
Laguna Vista Lodge
Oasis (H&K) Motel
Oasis (H&K) Motel
#2 of 2 in Springer
Resort Properties of Angel Fire

Been to Express St. James Hotel? Share your experiences!