“Really wanted to love it but not on their game”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cimarron
Express St. James Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cimarron
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I visited as a solo traveller. It's out in the middle of nowhere, and while very cool history-wise, the food was the worst I've had in NM. The place was deserted yet the staff far from enthusiastic and slow. It's neat to walk around to the famous rooms where stars of Westerns stayed but only paying guests can see the rest. I do recommend though was disappointed
With the food, price and no tours.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank NewHampshirePeppie
StJames_11, Public Relations Manager at Express St. James Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

StJames_11, Guest Relations Manager at Express St. James Hotel, responded to this review

February 8, 2013
2nd Try! Management response to: REALLY WANTED TO LOVE IT BUT NOT ON..... TRIPADVISOR POSTED RESPONSE TO WRONG REVIEW. RESPONSE POSTED TO WRONG REVIEW DELETED VIA TRIPADVISOR WEBSITE. Thank You!

On behalf of the Express St. James Hotel we apologize for your experience. We ask guests with concerns of any type to let the manager on duty know. If this was not possible then please call via phone and let us know. Your comments were shown to the restaurant managers. To better assist them, it would be helpful to know the time of day as well as what you ordered. Events Coordinator gives tours which are available upon request or via reservation. During busy summers guests wanting to explore the hotel come by the hundreds. To assure people staying in the rooms are not disturbed we restrict the amount of traffic upstairs. Other times of the year, check in with the front desk clerk so hotel staff will know who is upstairs and why. Once again we apologize for your experience. Come by again and I will be happy to give you a full tour (history & ghosts) of the hotel.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We were in Cimarron, St. James Hotel for an all weekend long ghosthunting investigation.

We just had a blast! First, the old west look of the St.James is totaly amazing. Decoration, atmosphere, historical pictures on walls in the hallway, everything is perfect and help us remembering the past. The staff is so nice, helpfull and polite. Second, the ghosts. Everywhere in the hotel you can feel the history and have a possible ghost apparition. Our investigation weekdend was magic. We got a lot of activities. Don't be affraid, you need to stay in this kind of place once. Third, rooms are just beautifully decorated. We stayed in the Bat Masterson room and we were very confortable. Every room got a fireplace (not functional). No tv and no internet access in the old part of the St. James. We are 2 geeks and were very happy to have a little break of technology. It helps a lot for relaxing.

Finaly, the restaurant offered delicious meals. Every breakfasts are free. You can have a nice little buffet. It is very different from other Hotels that give free continental breakfasts.

Room Tip: Be sure your room have a bathroom. Some old rooms don't have their own bathroom.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 31, 2012

The St James Hotel is an authentic old west hotel. We stayed in the Mary Lambert room and had dinner at the hotel in the evening. The room was comfortable and the food was very good. And, in the winter the rates can't be beat!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank coloradotravel000
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed here in October 2012. Love the hotel and oh my goodness if you want to experience wildlife, well all you need do is go outside. We decided to take a self guided walking tour. We had just left the hotel, on foot, when we came across a buck and his harem. Ok, no problem. Then, as we were walking over to look at the old well, something caught my eye. OMG! a black bear was walking our way. He saw me about the same time I saw him and I think we surprised each other. My husband was still reading about the old well when I told him to back away slowly as a bear was approx. 100-150 ft. from us. The bear turned and went into the bushes, then stood up to get a better look at us. Oh my goodness he was tall. All this wildlife and we had just gone to the end of the block.

Now back to the hotel--in more ways than one. The old rooms are nicely decorated and the photos, memoribilia, and stuffed animals that decorate the walls are wonderful. This place has some real cowboy and outlaw history. Famous guests such as Wyatt Earp, Annie Oakley, Buffalo Bill Cody, Billy the Kid, etc. have stayed here and 26 men have been shot and killed here. There are still bullet holes in the ceiling of the bar.

We had a great nights sleep, no hauntings disturbed our slumber and we enjoyed not only dinner but the breakfast buffet.

Our room with a AAA discount cost us $134.64 with tax.

The only criticism---the bathroom could have used a small table or shelf by the mirror--since it had the best lighting for putting on makeup and fixing one's hair.

1  Thank tumblentumbleweeds58
Reviewed October 14, 2012

The room was beautifully decorated, very clean and the beds were comfortable. I was with a friend and there's a little extra bedroom in this one so she had her own space. We stayed two nights.

There are no TVs or phones in the rooms in the old part of the hotel..which was just fine with us! Book a room in the annex if you want these things. This room had a bathroom, which is off the little second bedroom, with a shower and toilet, but the sink is in the bigger bedroom (next to the door to the room) in a corner. A little inconvenient when you want to wash your hands.

We were hoping for an encounter with a ghost and it seems we may have had a little one on the second day: We'd gone out to dinner at the hotel restaurant and when we got back, I stayed out in the hall to read some of the things hanging on the walls of the hallway and she decided to go on into the room. She had just gotten inside the door and was headed into her room when she heard a little crash. When she got into her room she noticed that the ice bucket and the cups that were sitting on top of it were knocked over and all over the dresser.

When I came in, she was just standing there staring at the dresser. I asked what happened and when she told me I just laughed and said, "Ok, Bat, we know you're here! Hello."

About the hotel itself: I was last there in 1993 before it was as remodeled as it is now. I kind of wish they'd kept it as it was because it was so neat; like stepping back in time. It is very pretty now...but it has kind of lost a lot of its old charm.

As far as the food in the hotel restaurant goes: my opinion is that it's very expensive and wasn't all that good, and the service in the restaurant wasn't great.

Room Tip: I think it's fun to stay in the old part of the hotel rather than the new annex...unless you'...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Aileen J
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We spent a wonderful night in Mary's room. We were delighted by the rose smell that stayed with us all night long. The hotel has a lovely sense of enchantment and history. The staff was fantastic and the food was wonderful as well. I would recommend the rooms that include the bathroom, just for privacy, however the walk down the creaky halls at night would provide some added "haunting" experiences, I'm sure. Because there are no air conditioners, I'd highly recommend staying in this section during the cooler times of the year.

Room Tip: I loved the upper level rooms. I would recommend the rooms with the bathrooms.
Reviewed October 1, 2012

If you're looking for a chance to step back in time we highly recommend this hotel. Courteous staff, period furnishings, and great location. Parts of the hotel date back to the 1800's and are supposed to be haunted, but that just adds to the adventure. We have stayed here twice and will be back for more. Bring a hearty appetite, the food is wonderful!

Room Tip: If you want a haunted room make your reservation early. They go surprisingly fast.
2  Thank Bob R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cimarron
Laguna Vista Lodge
Laguna Vista Lodge
#1 of 4 in Eagle Nest
The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort
Casa del Gavilan Historic Inn
Oasis (H&K) Motel
Oasis (H&K) Motel
#2 of 2 in Springer

Been to Express St. James Hotel? Share your experiences!