Express St. James Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Laguna Vista Lodge(Eagle Nest)
$100
Oasis H&K Motel(Springer)
$80
Travelocity
Ponderosa Lodge(Red River)(Great Value!)
$74
Best Western Rivers Edge(Red River)(Great Value!)
$90
BestWestern.com
Econo Lodge(Eagle Nest)
TripAdvisor
Alpine Village Suites(Taos Ski Valley)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Spa
All reviewsbullet holesold westphilmont scout ranchannie oakleywyatt earpwest hotelhistory buffst jamesoriginal hotelstep back in timebuffalo burgerhistoric stunsolved mysteriessweet potato friesboy scoutshaunted roomfurnished with antiques
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed here in October 2012. Love the hotel and oh my goodness if you want to experience wildlife, well all you need do is go outside. We decided to take a self guided walking tour. We had just left the hotel, on foot, when we came across a buck and his harem. Ok, no problem. Then, as we were walking over to look at the old well, something caught my eye. OMG! a black bear was walking our way. He saw me about the same time I saw him and I think we surprised each other. My husband was still reading about the old well when I told him to back away slowly as a bear was approx. 100-150 ft. from us. The bear turned and went into the bushes, then stood up to get a better look at us. Oh my goodness he was tall. All this wildlife and we had just gone to the end of the block.

Now back to the hotel--in more ways than one. The old rooms are nicely decorated and the photos, memoribilia, and stuffed animals that decorate the walls are wonderful. This place has some real cowboy and outlaw history. Famous guests such as Wyatt Earp, Annie Oakley, Buffalo Bill Cody, Billy the Kid, etc. have stayed here and 26 men have been shot and killed here. There are still bullet holes in the ceiling of the bar.

We had a great nights sleep, no hauntings disturbed our slumber and we enjoyed not only dinner but the breakfast buffet.

Our room with a AAA discount cost us $134.64 with tax.

The only criticism---the bathroom could have used a small table or shelf by the mirror--since it had the best lighting for putting on makeup and fixing one's hair.

1  Thank tumblentumbleweeds58
Reviewed October 14, 2012

The room was beautifully decorated, very clean and the beds were comfortable. I was with a friend and there's a little extra bedroom in this one so she had her own space. We stayed two nights.

There are no TVs or phones in the rooms in the old part of the hotel..which was just fine with us! Book a room in the annex if you want these things. This room had a bathroom, which is off the little second bedroom, with a shower and toilet, but the sink is in the bigger bedroom (next to the door to the room) in a corner. A little inconvenient when you want to wash your hands.

We were hoping for an encounter with a ghost and it seems we may have had a little one on the second day: We'd gone out to dinner at the hotel restaurant and when we got back, I stayed out in the hall to read some of the things hanging on the walls of the hallway and she decided to go on into the room. She had just gotten inside the door and was headed into her room when she heard a little crash. When she got into her room she noticed that the ice bucket and the cups that were sitting on top of it were knocked over and all over the dresser.

When I came in, she was just standing there staring at the dresser. I asked what happened and when she told me I just laughed and said, "Ok, Bat, we know you're here! Hello."

About the hotel itself: I was last there in 1993 before it was as remodeled as it is now. I kind of wish they'd kept it as it was because it was so neat; like stepping back in time. It is very pretty now...but it has kind of lost a lot of its old charm.

As far as the food in the hotel restaurant goes: my opinion is that it's very expensive and wasn't all that good, and the service in the restaurant wasn't great.

Room Tip: I think it's fun to stay in the old part of the hotel rather than the new annex...unless you're very attached to TV and other conveniences.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Aileen J
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We spent a wonderful night in Mary's room. We were delighted by the rose smell that stayed with us all night long. The hotel has a lovely sense of enchantment and history. The staff was fantastic and the food was wonderful as well. I would recommend the rooms that include the bathroom, just for privacy, however the walk down the creaky halls at night would provide some added "haunting" experiences, I'm sure. Because there are no air conditioners, I'd highly recommend staying in this section during the cooler times of the year.

Room Tip: I loved the upper level rooms. I would recommend the rooms with the bathrooms.
Reviewed October 1, 2012

If you're looking for a chance to step back in time we highly recommend this hotel. Courteous staff, period furnishings, and great location. Parts of the hotel date back to the 1800's and are supposed to be haunted, but that just adds to the adventure. We have stayed here twice and will be back for more. Bring a hearty appetite, the food is wonderful!

Room Tip: If you want a haunted room make your reservation early. They go surprisingly fast.
2  Thank Bob R
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Having grown up on a diet of "Cowboys and Indians" films during our childhood, my husband and I were thrilled to spend a few days and nights at the St. James. For a couple from England who wanted to escape the "I must stay in touch with the entire world of the web at all costs", this was bliss. No email, no phone, no computer, no TV in the room..... Wonderful. We had a super drive through the mountains,we chilled, we ate gorgeous food, we chatted to staff and locals, we shopped in town and were entertained with music in the evenings. For us this stay was a highlight in our trip. As for the spooks, not a sign. We slept like logs in the Pancho Griego room which was extremely comfortable. Thankyou St. James hotel and staff for a memorable stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple