Casa Escondida Bed & Breakfast
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
Rodeway Inn(Espanola)
View Hotel
Ohkay Casino Resort Hotel(Ohkay Owingeh (San Juan Pueblo))
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewssun roomb bnorthern new mexicohot tubthe main housevista roomliving roomsanta fehigh road to taosprivate deckbird feedersbed and breakfastday bedbreakfast was deliciousgreen chiliother guestsfrench doors
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 4, 2013

The building itself is lovely. We have been to quite a few Band B's and this was by far our least favorite. The little things were missing. The squirt soap and lotion dispensers reminded me of summer camp as a kid. The morning breakfast was also disappointing. The bread was set out the night before. It was covered with syran wrap, but just the thought of it setting out all night was not my favorite. There was not any butter and the "Mexican" eggs were dissapointing. They were scrambled eggs mixed with some salsa. I am from the area so I was not fooled. We hardly slept and woke with back aches. The mattress was very firm and so were the pillows. We were woken up in the middle of the night by a cat meowing at the door. The owner is not on premise and it is run by others. I missed the personal contact that I have grown to love from Bed and Breakfasts.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Antoinette M
EnchantedNewMexico, Owner at Casa Escondida Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are pleased that you liked the building and we are sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. I wanted to follow-up in response to your concerns. First, I wanted to direct you to our website. You will see a tab that says “Green Friendly”. Click on it and you can read about the MANY things that we do, to be low impact on the environment. The soap, lotion, shampoo and hand soap dispensers are just one of the environmentally friendly things that we do. Individual soaps and shampoos, etc. have an excessive amount of packaging which generates an unbelievable amount of trash that goes into our landfills. Individual soaps are also wasteful in terms of the amount of energy and raw materials that are required for the production of these individual items, which are intended for single use. Single use items also results in the unnecessary waste of the actual product. We in fact, pride ourselves on using these types of dispensers. We are sorry that you don’t seem to appreciate the benefit. As far as our baked goods, we do bake our own breakfast breads in-house (pumpkin, blueberry, gingerbread, etc). In the late afternoon, it is sliced, plated, wrapped and then placed on the dining room table in preparation for serving the following morning. We only plate enough for that meal. If freshness or safety were an issue, we wouldn’t do it. Just to clarify, health code does not require refrigeration of baked goods. Baked goods being stored at room temperature is perfectly safe and acceptable. If you think about the baked goods that are in any grocery store or bakery, they are not refrigerated. If you desired butter, we would have been delighted if you had asked. We serve sweet, unsalted butter. We could have easily provided butter for you, if that is how you prefer to eat your sweet bread but we are not able to meet a need that you don’t make us aware of. You assumption that we simply mix salsa with eggs to make our “Spanish Eggs” is not correct. We DO garnish the finished eggs with a little salsa and cilantro but there is no salsa mixed with or cooked with the eggs. You can find the complete recipe for our Spanish Eggs in the current edition of “The Best Recipes from New Mexico's B and Bs”, published from the University of New Mexico Press. We do have a resident cat that is very people friendly. We understand that not everyone is a cat lover and we are sorry if he disturbed you. That is why we suggest that you close the door between the living area and the hallway. This will prevent the cat from being able to get to your sleeping room door. I’m the owner and I am on premise. I do have staff, as it is impossible for any one person to work every shift. I’m not sure what personal contact you were seeking that you didn’t feel as though you received but we have friendly and competent staff there to greet you and check you in upon arrival (if you arrived during check-in hours). There was staff there to serve you a full, hot breakfast each morning and there was staff to clean your room each day. If you had any needs that were not met and I was not physically in the house, you could have easily picked-up the guest phone that is in the living room and reached me by phone. The business phone number is even posted by the guest phone so that guests can easily reach a staff member at any time of day or night. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

My husband and I totally enjoyed our stay at Casa Escondida. It is tucked away from noise and confusion but centrally located for many wonderful adventures to Santa Fe, Bandelier, the Valles Caldera, and Taos. Chimayo itself is lovely. The B & B is clean and tasteful, the innkeeper is thoughtful and knowledgeable, the cat is friendly, and the amenities are numerous (great breakfasts, cookies, free internet, many artist and weaver studios nearby). There are also numerous nice restaurants in the area. It was a very nice place to relax.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and were able to relax. We hope to have you as our guest again soon.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

I’ve stayed at multiple bed and breakfasts throughout the United States and I would have to say this was the most disappointing. The room was nice looking but we were freezing all night. There was only a space heater that heated a small area of the private casita we were staying in. Warning: If you are allergic to cats I would not recommend staying here. Each member of my family is allergic to cats and when we sat down for breakfast most of us had to keep getting up and walking out because we couldn’t breathe well. I personally broke out in hives and had to go back to my room to take Benadryl. Also, different members of my family had problems with the resident cat running into their rooms. There was also a resident dog that kept coming by that would bother our dog and nip at our ankles.

As for breakfast it was good but they served only one item (baked French toast with nuts). The host seemed rather rude when we asked for another breakfast item/meal for my boyfriend who is allergic to nuts. The host’s response was demeaning and they said we should have informed them about the allergy. When we told them that we did inform them prior to our arrival upon our reservation two weeks prior they just scoffed and cooked my boyfriend 2 scrambled eggs.

I’m usually laid back when it comes to travel and the ups and downs that go with it, but I have no tolerance for rudeness. Especially from a host of a B&B when your stay is supposed to be an experience not just sleeping quarters.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank PhotoJAC
casaescondida, Owner at Casa Escondida Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I’m sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. We always appreciate the opportunity to resolve any problems while you are our guest. So it would have been best if had you informed us of any issues while you were with us. We want to do what we can to ensure that your stay is a pleasant one. Unfortunately, you didn’t let us know of any concerns during your stay. If you had let us know that the Casita was too cool, we would have been happy to point out the thermostat that is on the wall in the Casita. All of our rooms have individual thermostats, so that each guest can control the temperature setting for their individual room. While the Casita does have an additional infrared heater in the sleeping room, it is not the sole heat source for the Casita. The infrared heater is simply a supplemental heater that allows guests to have the option of having the sleeping room at a warmer temperature that the rest of the Casita. Independent of the infrared heater, the Casita has baseboard heating in the sleeping room and in the sitting room. There is also radiant heat in the bathroom floor. If the Casita was too cool for your comfort, you could have simply adjusted the temperature setting at the thermostat that is on the wall in the sitting room.
Having a resident pet is not unusual at a B&B. We do have a resident cat. The fact that we have a resident cat is posted on our website and we always remind guests of this, when they are making their reservations, if they let us know that they have pet allergies. We do not have a resident dog. Per our “pet policy” page on our website, we remind guests that we are located in a rural area (we are on 6 acres) and that the B&B acreage is not fenced. Therefore, there is the possibility that a local dog could come onto the property. It would appear that this is what occurred during your stay.
We serve a full, hot, sit-down breakfast. It is a fixed menu each morning and it is a rotating menu, so that guests do not have the same breakfast twice during their stay. We gladly accommodate special dietary needs and we do so, on a regular basis. No nuts, gluten-free, no sugar, no meat, etc. are all requests that we frequently get and we have the ability to readily accommodate these types of requests. After reading your review, I went back and checked your reservation request, thinking that perhaps we had simply overlooked your special dietary request (we do make mistakes sometimes) but there was no notification of any special dietary needs. Whether you are at a friend’s home or at a B&B, when the hot breakfast is being delivered to your table, this is not the ideal time to inform your host that you have special dietary needs. Even so, we offered to prepare scrambled eggs as a substitute for the breakfast that we had already served. Perhaps what you interpreted as rudeness or scoffing was simply my surprise. Had we known in advance that someone in your group needed no-nuts, we could have easily prepared a single portion of our baked French toast that was nut-free and baked it separately.
Given the individuality of each B&B, no one B&B is going to be a perfect fit for 100% of the traveling population but we certainly strive to ensure that every guest has a positive stay. Obviously, we fell short in your eyes and we are sorry for that. Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

My wife, Allison, and I enjoyed an evening at Casa Escondida. When we arrived we were immediately greeted by Rebecca and given a tour of the property. Location was quiet and secluded with great surrounding landscape. It is a cozy environment with privacy in the separate guest rooms. It was great to interact with other guests. The breakfast prepared by the owner, Belinda, and her staff in morning was amazing. Great experience.....will be back for sure.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

We are so glad that you had a wonderful birthday and we appreciate the fact that you chose to spend it with us. Don't wait another year to stay with us again. We hope to see you before your next birthday!

Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stayed at Casa Escondida as a home base for trips to Santa Fe and Taos, and the location was perfect. The B&B is really gorgeous - authentic architecture and decor, very comfortable beds and furnishings, delicious breakfast and cookies. They offer free calls (long distance) and internet, and the cat will snuggle with you. I adore this place and can't wait to go back. Chimayo is a really interesting area (tons of artists and weavers). I can't say enough positive things about my trip!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank BethyMac

We love Chimayo too and we love sharing it with others! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay. Chimayo is very centrally located for visiting the most popular destinations throughout northern New Mexico (Santa Fe, Taos, Bandelier National Park, Hot Springs and more) but the historic village of Chimayo is a destination as well. Visiting the weaving shops, the church (Santuario de Chimayo), the little galleries and shops are a true hidden gem! We are glad that you enjoyed all of it. Come back soon.