“Service has been better. Food great as always.”

Rancho de Chimayo Restaurante
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Chimayo
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 24, 2010

Excited to have the place open again we set out for another visit. We visit NM at least once a year and always try to make it to this place as it is special.
We were here with a large group for which we had a reservation. To our surprise there was no one table set up for us and we were expected to sit on 3 tables. Our faces must have shown our surprise and after some re-arranging it was only 2 tables. Also some of the drinks did not arrive where they were ordered: because we had 2 bigger tables it was not clear to one end of the table what the other had ordered or what had arrived at the other end so we had 2 confused sides.
But enough. Food is what we came for. Between all people (incl kids) we tried a good part of all that is on the menu and it was all delicious. We even had some 'first timers' that were not used to Southwestern Cuisine but they loved their Carne Adovada! My fajitas arrived sizzling and the kids loved the tortillas so much that came with it that I ended up eating more of the chicken & vegetables without tortilla! The sopapillas are the best there and after that no desert is needed. The kids love prickly pear drinks and I have to say that even I had one because they are just great.
If you are in NM and around SF/Los Alamos/Taos, you just have to stop here.
The nearby Sanctuario is a place to see too.

Reviewed July 17, 2010

We ate at Rancho de Chimayo two days in a row. The Sopaipilla relleno with shredded beef was my personal favorite but our party of ten loved everything we ate.

There is a very nice children's menu as well.

Reviewed June 21, 2010

this resteaurant is very close to town, but it is far enough to see the stars. the food, atmosphere, and service were great, but expensive. the food was good enough to be paid that much for, but, well there's no such thing as a free lunch, right? there are free sopapillas included and different specials if you come back. prickly pear lemonade once, something else later. if anyone wanted to make homemade prickly pear lemonade, it was me. luckily, there was a gift shop that sold the syrup. that place was delicious, andx it smelled like flowers, maybe it was the garden patio. :)

Reviewed June 20, 2010

This was one of the highlight restaurants of our time in New Mexico and Colorado. Apparently, lots of locals and folks from nearby towns (Santa Fe, Taos, Espanola etc) agree as reservations are important other perhaps than an early arrival (around 4:45) like ours, and even then it was quite crowded and the more desirable tables taken.
The menu is very extensive filled with a great many creative takes on New Mexican cuisine. We were delighted with it after the disappointment of a restaurant in Espanola which in my review of the Inn at the Delta I referred to as Linda's although it had another name. To say that this was infinitely better seems almost an understatement.
The tiered outdoor setting is very pleasant as is the whole place.
Do give it a try if you're used to dining in good restaurants and you're in the area.

Reviewed December 27, 2009

While staying in Santa Fe, our B&B hostess recommended we have lunch in Chimayo. Stay away from this place! The margarita my wife had was horrible. I wish I could provide insight into the quality of the food, but we never got a chance to eat. When we arrrived, the rude hostess and her minions advised us that it would be an hour wait. We left an hour and a half later, still waiting to be seated. While we were waiting, a party of 34 with a reservation arrived. They were unapologetically told by the hostess that they would have to be seated in separate groups in different rooms in the restaurant. Based on what I saw of the menu and the service, this place lives solely off of its undeserved reputation.

1  Thank RUTexan