“Beautiful and Yummy!”

Rancho de Chimayo Restaurante
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Chimayo
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 4, 2014

We decided to try this restaurant based on a recommendation from a friend. We were staying in Santa Fe and decided to drive to Chimayo to try it for lunch. Unfortunately there was road work on the interstate so the drive was delayed due to that. At one point my BF said, "we are driving 50 miles to go to lunch?" and didn't sound too pleased. After we arrived and seated outdoors on this expansive outdoor patio his mood started to change. We ordered a beer and studied the extensive menu. I opted for the shrimp enchiladas (blue tortilla) with green chili pesto sauce and he ordered the beef wrap sandwich. Both were incredible. The beef was super tender! The shrimp were small but overflowing (no skimping on the amount at all!!). We decided of the two dishes that the shrimp enchiladas were the best. Great atmosphere and unique setting for a restaurant which is out in the middle of no where. Oh, and the service was impeccable! Be prepared for a drive. On the way back to Santa Fe, I turned to him and asked if the drive was worth it and he nodded his head enthusiastically in agreement.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

This huge restaurant has both inside and outdoor seating. The food was good but not over the top. Portions were huge, even the appetizers… big enough to split for a dinner. Red sangria was
excellent!

1  Thank Sharon M
Reviewed May 30, 2014

My wife and I have been coming here for years and whenever we are in the area we pop in for lunch or dinner. The food is some of the best we have ever had in the area. The inside of the restaurant is great, but the best is to sit on the patio out back and enjoy the wonderful weather as well as the service. One of personal favorites is the green chile stew, but there are many more dishes to choose from, all are good. Like I said in the title don't miss it if in the area.

1  Thank bayouself
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Our party of 4 recently had lunch at Rancho De Chimayo in New Mexico while touring by motorcycle through the state. A friend suggested the stop and wow....was he right. Great atmosphere, wonderful food, perfect drinks. We had lunch on the terrace outside. Mexican food and margaritas were great. Highly recommend this stop. If we are ever back in the area, we will definitely make the drive to this restaurant. Reservations recommended.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

When the locals tell me a restaurant is good, I believe them - and they all said Rancho de Chimayo was good. One moment you are driving in the country, and the next moment you come across this beautiful restaurant, replete with dried chilies hanging from the rooftop. This is a very large restaurant with indoor and outdoor seating. The first table where they tried to seat us had debris all over the cloth - it looked a mess! The kid who seated us said "not to worry, it just blows in on this table" - well, we didn't want to sit there and neither did anyone else they tried to put there - just get rid of that table, for Pete's sake! Our server was terrific - friendly and helpful. My husband and I started the great tamale hunt while in New Mexico, and these were the best we found - and at about $2 each, we were in tamale heaven! The only reason I didn't give the food an Excellent rating is because we were disappointed in the chili relleno - the filling was good, but the exterior was soggy, not crisp. We stopped in the gift shop and bought a jar of chili sauce and both red and green chile powder - apparently, this is about the only place you can get Chimayo chile powder.