“Excellent and worth the drive”

Rancho de Chimayo Restaurante
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Chimayo
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed October 11, 2013

This restaurant is located in a very small village about 10 miles off the main highway from Santa Fe to Chama. Although it is a bit out of the way, it's definitely worth the effort for authentic, skillfully prepared New Mexico cuisine in a relaxing atmosphere. We chose to eat outside, and despite a pesky fly, it was one of the best meals we've ever had in Northern New Mexico. The service was also excellent. Our server was attentive without being intrusive, and even managed to find me a serving of their outstanding flan (which apparently was being kept back in anticipation of 2 tour buses' imminent arrival). We will definitely go back any time we are in the area.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,037)

Reviewed October 9, 2013

This is my favorite place to eat when visiting in this area. My sister & I had lunch here recently. Was delicious & we sat on the upper patio & enjoyed our last day together. I always feel my trip is complete after eating here. Would highly recommend.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

I just returned from Santa Fe and Ojo Caliente. The trip included a stop at Rancho de Chimayo for the third time, three years in a row. I can't imagine going to the area and not including this wonderful restaurant! The food is New-Mexican wonderful; the place is charming and the service is excellent. It's near the Sanctuario de Chimayo and several artists studios and shops. So make a day trip out of Santa Fe or on the "High Road to Taos" annual art tour That's how we found it three years ago. There were 12 in our party this year and I didn't hear anything but praise from anyone. There is outside seating on tiered terraces which I highly recommend.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Excellant food at a reasonable price by all accounts. Good New Mexican food. We had great margaritas, I had a burrito with both red and green chili sauce, excellant. The guacamole was perhaps the best I have ever tasted.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

We very much enjoyed our dinner at Rancho de Chimayo. The sopapilla with the meal and the flan for dessert were so delicious.

I gave it a 4 because I swear there was no alcohol in my margarita - or at least so little there was not even the tiniest "happy buzz" like after half a glass of wine. Obviously a different bartender than lovestobike had.

But I survived just fine and did enjoy the atmosphere and food.