“Wonderful!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chimayo
Rancho de Chimayo Hacienda
Ranked #2 of 4 Chimayo B&B and Inns
“Wonderful!”
Reviewed November 13, 2005

We were very happy with Room Uno. It has a king size bed and a small sitting area with a kiva fireplace. French doors opened to a small patio, overlooking the entry to the Rancho de Chimayo restaurant. Note: Rooms do not have a television, which was shocking to my husband, but refreshing to me! Uno is on the north side of the building which made the room dark and cool. If you need sunshine, consider the south side rooms. The L-shaped courtyard has a water fountain and made for a nice gathering place to sip wine and enjoy the beautiful autumn weather. Rooms also have a mini fridge and coffeemaker.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Cleveland, OH
Reviewed August 23, 2005

If I were to give it a grade, it would be A-/B+. This place was very relaxing and homey. For instance, one of the resident cats strolled in for a visit. Not a "four star" but that's not what we were expecting-- rustic antiques and plain linens just fit perfectly. It was great to be able to park the car and then stroll across the street for dinner in a place rich with New Mexico history. The only thing that prevents it from being straight "A" is that the breakfast was a little sparse (for instance, we were given OJ and grapefruit and no other choices and one of us can't eat citrus.) Gardens were charming.

• Stayed August 2005
3 Thank nanalex
Austin TX
Reviewed July 21, 2005

This is a very attractive, nicely furnished and interesting little B&B, but we had no idea from its Web site that it lacked air conditioning. Admittedly, during most of the year, this probably isn't much of an issue in Chimayo, but during our stay in mid-July, it was darn hot. It probably felt somewhat worse in our room (room "Dos") because it had no way to get cross-ventilation. Other than a transom over the door, the only window it had (in the bathroom) was painted shut and couldn't be opened. We noticed that the B&B's other, larger rooms did have more windows or extra doors that could be opened to catch some much-needed breeze, and I imagine they were far more comfortable than our small, stuffy room was. Because we were staying on a weekend, we were given the choice of either a free continental breakfast delivered to our room, or getting a 50-percent discount on breakfast at the famous restaurant ("Rancho de Chimayo") across the street, which is owned by the same family. I sort of felt like we were being nudged toward buying the meal across the street because when we asked what made up the free continental breakfast, the clerk told us, "Oh, not much, a grapefruit, that sort of thing." That being said, the breakfast across the street at Rancho de Chimayo was a nice meal and, at half-off, a pretty good deal, albeit not free. I'm only giving the place a three-star "average" rating because of how uncomfortable we were in the heat, though, honestly, we'd probably consider staying at the Hacienda de Chimayo again, but only in a cooler time of year. Otherwise, I'd recommend asking for one of the larger rooms that have extra doors or windows (room "Seis" looked like a particularly nice room, with its own balcony) for ventilation.

Stayed July 2005
5 Thank Dtx
Denver
Reviewed June 16, 2005

My wife and I stayed here on a Sunday night. The rooms were very nice, and we felt comfortable after a long day of hiking in Bandaleer National forest. We walked across the street that evening and enjoyed the restaurant which I would consider four star. Very very nice restaurant.

The only thing I was displeased about, was the breakfast which was served the next morning at the bed and breakfast. This breakfast was not prepared by the restaurant across the street but by the staff who run the bed and breakfast. Basically we were served some yogurt with some type of cereal sprinkled on top. Also a small plate of fruit. My overall feeling was that not a whole lot of preperation was put into breakfast. I get the feeling that the hostess just wanted to hurry up and get breakfast out of the way. I was impressed though that you are able to choose the time you would like for breakfast to be served; and in the morning it is delivered to your room. That was very nice. I don't have anything bad to say, but only want to point out areas of improvement. Possibly on other days of the week, other breakfast items such as french toast and waffles are served? Maybe not?

Possibly someone else might want to express their experience with breakfast at the Hacienda.

• Stayed May 2005
1 Thank YouCanDoIt
Reviewed August 4, 2003

Anyone visiting New Mexico should by all means make it a point to visit the town of Chimayo. If you need a place to stay the Hacienda de Chimayo has the most beautiful Southwestern-style rooms, very serene and peaceful. It is an old family home with alot of history behind it.
Directly across is the world- famous Rancho de Chimayo Restaurant which has been in the Jaramillo family since 1965. The food specializes in New Mexican Cuisine--Try the Carne Adovada or the Stuffed Sopapilla (you can request Chile con Queso on top instead of red or green chile for the stuffed sopa)--my own invention, it's out of this world. Also you can't leave without tasting a "Chimayo Cocktail"--Apple Margarita.
The place has hosted many celebreties such as Elizabeth Taylor, Jacki Onassis, Robert Redford, plus many more... During the summer months you can sit outside on one of their lovely terraces. You won't regret the trip. You must also visit the historical Sanctuario de Chimayo as well as the famous Ortega's Weaving Shop. There is so much sightseeing and experience in such a small town you won't want to leave! I'll be back next year again!!!!!!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 19, 2003

The reason I strongly recommend not staying at Hacienda Rancho is due to the extremely poor service and the fact I was double charged. There was confusion about my paying for the room. I gave my credit card upon arrival and was told their machine was down. The next day I was told my card was declined - which didn't make sense but I gave them my husband's card. His card went through and he signed away. Then there was some confusion over where our room record was. When it was finally found it had someone else's receipt on it. When we returned home we found that both our cards were charged. I called to report the problem and was treated like a liar. The woman insisted that only my card was charged. After awhile she relunctantly agreed to investigate and said she'd call in a couple days. I asked her to please call me the next day as I did not think it fair for me to wait that long. She did not call me the next day so I called her. I was told again that I was wrong - only my card was charged. She claimed to have no record of my husband's card being charged which seems strange since I saw her staple it to our room record. I told her I'd send a copy of my husband's receipt. Again she was very rude and insisted it wasn't possible that his card was charged. I'm still fighting to get my money back! Buyer beware. I'd recommend staying at the El Rey Inn in Santa Fe if you're looking for something nice and not too expensive. I stayed there for a few days and really enjoyed myself. It's only a few more bucks but well worth it - much better breakfast and amenities like hot tub and pool. It's competenly run as well! Plus there's nothing to do in Chimayo but see the Santuario and the drive to Santa Fe and Taos is long. If you want somewhere out of the way to stay try The Riverdancer in Jemez Springs. A wonderful place to relax with plenty of active things to do as well and a very caring staff.

17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chimayo
La Fonda on the Plaza
Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder
Inn of the Five Graces
Inn of the Five Graces
#1 of 60 in Santa Fe

Been to Rancho de Chimayo Hacienda? Share your experiences!