“I'd like to rate this between "Average" and "Very Good"”

Foster's Hotel Bar Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 15 Restaurants in Chama
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“I'd like to rate this between "Average" and "Very Good"”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

There was only one other party already seated when we arrived, even so the service was a little slow. I would have liked more coffee than I was given but the waitress wasn't around very much. The food, however, was very good. A large breakfast for a good price, well-cooked, and again a surprise as to how good the chile was.

I was concerned about the slow service because we were having breakfast before boarding the train for the scenic trip. I'd eat here again only if I'm not in a hurry to get anywhere.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank mammajamma2013

Albuqueruque
“Foster Restaurant, Chama, NM”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We went to dinner there the first night we were in Chama. The service was ok and they had a couple of specials for the night. The meal was ok at best, but nothing special. Big old cast iron stove in the middle, but not heating anything. Just a place to get a meal nothing special. Second night we went back, it was close to our motel. Service was horrible, non existant really. Food was worse. Hamburger was frozen patty, frozen French fries, no green chili stew, just bland green chili and bland pinto beans. Over all a big waste of money.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Carol G
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Pretty Good. Not amazing. But still, very nice.”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I stayed in the hotel here for 2 nights in September. It was my first visit to Chama, so I had decided to stay at a couple different places to get a feel for what was there for when I go back. I had stayed the previous two nights at the Chama Station Inn.

When I first checked in, I went into the bar and paid the woman at the counter. She accidentally overcharged me for my room, which I didn't realize until the next day. I went down and told her that I thought she may have made a mistake. She swore that she hadn't and that she never made mistakes, but she did check and discovered that she did indeed overcharge me. She apologized and with the help of the manager they refunded me the difference. As a gesture of goodwill, the manager gave me a discount on dinner, which was very good. I only wish I had woken up in time to get breakfast the next morning before getting on the bus to Antonito for the train back.

The room was ok. Very plain, but for the price I couldn't complain. I would stay here again, but I wouldn't go out of my way to choose it first. Still, overall a good value and good food.

• Visited September 2013
New York City, New York
“Breakfast”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Chama gets crazy when the train is about to depart - everyone wants breakfast at the same time so expect to try a few spots before getting in for food.

The pancakes were good and the sausage tasty (though a little over cooked). They were overwhelmed I think by the amount of people descending on them all at once. Coffee leaves a lot to be desired.

Don't be put off by the "lobby" type area before you go in, the actual eating area is nice. Casual and laid back.

Visited October 2013
New Mexico
“Skip this historic restaurant!”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

The restaurant service was questionable with our wait staff becoming the cook after the cook departed. The prices are way too high for the poor quality of food. The entree veggies were from a can and mushy. The bathroom wasn't operable so customers were told to use either the kitchen bathroom or the lounge/bar bathroom. Yes, customers walking through the kitchen while meals were being prepared :-( The bathroom in the lounge was disgusting. We will never return for a meal to this restaurant when in Chama.

• Visited October 2013