“The place to stay if you want take the train”
Review of Cumbres Suites

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chama
Cumbres Suites
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Chama
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is an ideal place to stay if you are taking the train, the place is on the highway and very quiet. We had a very spacious and comfortable room and the rate was very reasonable - under $200 for the two nights one of which was labour day. We found the owners very chatty and had no complaints. There was a good choice of cereals and breakfast breads also various muffins etc. plus the usual juice and coffee. The breakfast area is quite large and you can sit outside amd watch the humming birds.
Would be happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: There is a mixture of ground floor and first floor rooms, we found the ground floor handy as we had...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marion N

Reviewed August 31, 2013

I made our reservation by telephone with Marie who was extremely friendly and helpful. We settled on suite number 3 mostly because it has a king size bed and the pictures on their website looked good. The suite was everything Marie and the website claimed it would be. Very spacious and comfortable. The breakfast was the usual complementary breakfast, except there was no one around to greet us or tell us where to find things. Luckily, things were easy to find. When we checked in we were told that the screened in room was where the ice was and where breakfast was. No indication of the time span for breakfast. I would suggest something in the room stating times for breakfast and checkout time and procedure. We found the owner and gave him our key. This establishment felt like it kind of wants to be a B&B but also wants to be a motel. One other thing, the room door needs a deadbolt or at least a security latch. Even though we were inside & upstairs it was still open to anyone prowling around.

Room Tip: Rooms upstairs have air conditioning
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank swe9742
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Stay here if you need a spacious, clean and quiet room for less than $100 a night. We however noted the unusual unwelcoming attitude of the inn's owner. Our first night was very uncomfortable since we pondered why the owner was so rude to my husband and whether we should check out other hotels. But things seemed to warm up on our second night. We appreciated our 2 night stay here but won't return. It is not worth to ruin a very special trip with my husband just to save some money.

• Stayed: August 2013
5  Thank VNwildrose
Reviewed July 9, 2013

The room was very clean. The gentleman who we interacted with through our stay was horrifically rude. The worst incident was when at 915pm he was restocking the ice machine makong a huge racket and my husband asked him nicely to please keep it down because he woke our toddler. He was response was "bummer for you" and walked into the private area and closed the door. Even though the room was nice and clean, my family would be hard-pressed to stay there again. Don't get into the hospitality business if you dislike people so much.

• Stayed: June 2013
5  Thank abqtraveler123
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I was leary of the place after calling ahead to ask a few questions. I was pretty annoyed that a young child answered the phone and someone in the background said "if you are going to answer then phone then you need to answer the questions!". I felt that they shouldn't be letting a child answer the phone in the first place if you are trying to run a business. An older gentleman did end up getting on the phone and I didn't think he was overly nice. Once we got there, everyone was very nice and accomadating. The room was clean and well kept. The breakfast was nice in the morning. Overall, I would probably stay again if in the area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BETH B
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I haven't even stayed at this place but I'm glad I didn't. The owner was incredibly rude when I called to inquire about availability and rates on room 6. Her website advertises that this room can sleep 7 but when I told her there were 7 in our party she was incredibly rude and said "no way, no way that I'll let that many people stay there" she also added "I'm the owner and I won't allow it". Her tone and rudeness were an unnecessary response to a simple inquiry. I became defensive as well and told her her website was misleading and she needed to change it. I also told her that for being the owner she was incredibly rude and that I would NEVER again attempt to stay at her place again. What an idiot she is.

Room Tip: Never stay here!!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
10  Thank Mari R
Reviewed June 17, 2013

You know how sometimes you just don't know if the room you rented will be up to par, will it have dirt spots that make you queasy? Will it have hair in places it shouldn't? Do I need to wear flip flops in the shower? Well this is NOT one of those.
Oh my gosh were we so excited to come stay here. The owners were so welcoming (we actually only met the husband), our room was so clean, and I'm talking clean like this guy should hold a conference for some of the big chains to explain what that word actually means. The breakfast they had for us in the morning was awesome. We have small children and we were able to fill them and us up on some good eating. They are also close to a really good restaurant within walking distance which is where we ate our dinner.
We rode the Cumbres and Toltec train earlier in the day and were so exhausted, when we checked in and got to the room it was like we had found some hidden treasure in Chama.
I would highly recommend this place to anyone traveling into Chama, it would be worth every penny and then some.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family