“Food so GREAT you'll scrape your plate!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Add it.
Sonny's Place
Ranked #13 of 15 Restaurants in Chama
Cuisines: American
“Food so GREAT you'll scrape your plate!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

One random trip to Chama for a ride on the train allowed us to find our new favorite place. We asked some locals where a great place to eat was and they highly recommend Sonny's. I'm not from the area but my wife is and she assures me it is just like the food she grew up on. Surrounding states make Mexican/Spanish food differently and this place is distinctly New Mexican Spanish food at its finest. We ate both breakfast and dinner the first trip and everything was made to order, quickly delivered to our table with a smile, large portions of food some of which was made from scratch (like their amazing sopapillas) , and reasonably priced based on the town and surrounding area. From the outside it just looks like a warehouse, but inside the decor, woodwork, and colors make it inviting and homey. The bathrooms are even rusticly decorated and well maintained. It has become a favorite destination of ours so much so that my wife and I drive all the way from Albuquerque just to eat! We highly recommend Sonny's for their food, hospitality and family friendly atmosphere. Food so great you'll scrape your plate!

• Visited September 2012

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
“Worst Place I've Eaten in Years”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

First of all, they claim they serve "Spanish and American Food". What they mean is they serve American and Southwestern Food. Spanish food is very different from Mexican or Southwestern food. I ordered stuffed sopapilla, and my husband ordered the combination plate. The chili and meat, in our dishes, were bland (needed alot more seasoning) and not enough of it. This place is very expensive for what you get - my dish was over $10 and should have cost around $5. I dread non-native folks driving through Chama and eating this mess and thinking this is typical of Spanish or southwestern cuisine. Find another place - this place is pitiful. The only positive note is that our waitress was great.

• Visited June 2013