“Becareful with the pricing!!!!”

Elkhorn Lodge Chama
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Chama
new mexico
“Becareful with the pricing!!!!”
Reviewed August 5, 2008

Ok, don't know where to even start!!! I called twice to comfirm my reservation, and both times they knew that I had a government discount, and when I went and paid for the room it was like $70.00 more than what they quoted me, and of course no one knew what they were doing, that Friday afternoon when we checked in the older lady that was working the front desk was awfully rude and started to yell at me in front of other customers, how good did that look??? The whole 3 days that we were there our t.v. didnt work, and I would have to call the front desk, and no one ever showed up to look at it, my 12 year old son would have to mess with it, like every 2 hours in order for it to continue working! NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!

• Disliked — the service!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank ymaestas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
San Luis Obispo, California
Reviewed June 12, 2008

My husband and I and our toddler stayed here in June 2008. We chose this place because of the limited options in the area and what we could find online. At first glance, the cabin seemed cute and rustic. We encountered something entirely different: a refrigerator that could have worked much better, a non-working freezer, a rust-colored bath (not sure if this was due to the pipes or the water), and last but not least, rat droppings in the cabinet under the sink where a dish drainer and stock pot were kept. Not good.

We were charged about $233 for two nights (incl. tax) - more expensive than almost other place on our trip! (We've been in Taos, Albuquerque, Las Vegas, Los Alamos and Santa Fe).

We definitely would not stay here again: too funky for our taste, overpriced for the area and what you get and dirty.

• Liked — The location was fine
  • Disliked — Rat droppings
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank slogrl
Nsblinda, Owner at Elkhorn Lodge Chama, responded to this review, October 16, 2016
My husband and I took over May of 2014. I hate to read reviews like this but we cannot remove them as we were not the owners at that time.

I hope if you are ever in the area you stop in again. I promise you that your stay will be much more enjoyable.

Linda Callaghan
Albuquerque, NM
Reviewed November 6, 2007

November 3-4 2007

Staying at the lodge turned out less than what we had expected. Even though the owner/manager Jill was friendly and chatty we would have expected more from our stay. The cabin looked alright at first sight but it needed much attention. Here is a list of things we thought could have been better especially for $89 a night.

1. 3 eating spoons, 1 steak knife. 3 dinner plates. (there was 4 of us) the rest of the silverware was old and mismatched.

2. cooking pots and pans had definitely seen better days. they were scratched and mismatched- wrong lid for sauce pan.
Coffee pot had not been washed and there were no filters for brewing coffee. There wasn't a regular baking pan but a disposable aluminum pan. I'm glad I took my own cast iron skillet.

3. shower stall was either stained or not been scrubbed down.

4. kitchen floor looked like it hadn't been washed in while.

5. oven had not been cleaned in a while.

6. kitchen table had a laminate top which was coming up and chairs where wobbly.

7. bathroom window was covered with plastic.

8. bedroom lamp did not work and had a broken lampshade.

9. bad reception on TV, which we addressed but nothing was done about it. Timely communication between owner and maintainance man doesn't seem to be there.

This lodge has definitely seen better days. It is supposed to have a laid back, clean and comfortable feel to it, but it takes determination and hard work on the owners part to pass that on to their guests. This lodge could use a face lift.
I will give credit for the clean towels and comfortable beds. Area outside of cabin was nice, clean and enjoyable. Management/owner was friendly and passed on information about nearby areas to visit.

Our first clue that things weren't going right should have been when the dog barfed right where my husband was standing. Yuck!!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — repairs not done and cleanliness a factor
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank friendlytraveler45
Alamogordo, New Mexico
Reviewed October 10, 2007

We hit Chama at the peak of the Fall colors, so there wasn't much left. Honestly, that's how we wound up at the Elkhorn Lodge. I sure wouldn't have stayed there voluntarily.
The guy at the front desk was indifferent but not unpleasant. Just, "Sign this," "Here's your key," and "The room's back there," with a motion. No welcome, no instructions.
The broken front window beckoned as we drove up. The curtains hung despondently at all angles. Anyway, the screen door on the room was intact and the spring worked beautifully! Yee-haw!
Two queen beds and the usual motel-room furnishing and lights. Stained bedspreads. I don't remember the last time I saw felt-like carpet, but it wasn't as gummy looking as some old motel carpets I've seen.
No coffee pot. No microwave. No fridge. Twelve channels on the 19-inch tv.
No coffee at the office nor in the ice room where an old coffee pot sat cold, stained, and insulting.
This was a first: The toilet lid and seat were rough because they were so old and the particle board was coming apart.
No ventilation system other than the previously-mentioned screen door. Just like Aunt Edna's place in Flatbush.
I'm sorry, other than being reasonably clean, I can't think of anything else good to say about it.
Summary: Never again.

• Liked — Proximity to our destination event
  • Disliked — Price for what we got
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gathersnomoss
Salisbury
Reviewed August 25, 2007

We stayed in the Motel part of Elk Horn Lodge. The carpet had big spots all over it. None of the electrical outlets worked, except if you held the plug in yourself. The tile down around the tub was cracked and molded and had centipedes that crawled out of it. My husband killed black bugs on the paneling, which he did not tell me until after we left. We talked with other guests in the motel part of the lodge and they all said they would never stay there again. This stay was at the beginning of our month plus trip and we have had nice clean, kept up rooms. We will never stay there again.
JT

Stayed August 2007
4 Thank jtaylor3789
Laguna, NM
Reviewed June 10, 2007

My darling hubby is leaving for the Middle East in a couple of weeks and we wanted to have a special week end just the two of us. We drove up to Chama, NM and stayed at the Elkhorne Lodge. The staff was wonderful. Ira, the lady with a beautiful German accent ,who took our reservation over the phone hugged us when we've arrived like we were family. We've met their huge but very, very friendly family dog who greets everybody. The cabin was cozy, comfortable and clean. We had the cowboy dinner which was OK (beef brisket was little chewy) but the entertainment after the dinner was excellent. There was cowboy singing, cowboy yodeling and joke telling. We had so much fun. The owners really made my hubby feel special because of his military status and because he'll be deployed in a couple of weeks. The only reason we don't give a 5 star (excellent) rating for the Elkhorn lodge is because we did not like the statement on the cabin wall that if you don't do your own dishes before you leave they'll do it for you but they will charge a hefty $20.00 to your credit card. We thought it was extreme. There are only two plates, two soup bowls and two coffee mugs in the cabin. Na why charge $20.00 for doing a 5-10 minutes worth of disches? Of course we did our own dishes, we always do. Not because the $20.00 but because we like to leave the cabin in the same state as it was when we arrived. But we still think that the extra $20.00 charge for doing dishes is radiciolus. But on the other hand maybe we are wrong. Anyway; the Elkhorn Lodge is one of your best bet if you stay in Chama, NM. Please forgive my incorrect English grammar, I am a Hungarian woman. Thank you and may our good Lord bless everyone in this beautiful United States of America.

• Liked — Nothing special really.
  • Disliked — No heating in bathroom
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ErikafromHungary
Hampton, Virginia
Reviewed June 23, 2006

We stayed at the Elkhorn Lodge on our way from Mesa Verde to Santa Fe so we would be in Chama in the morning for a trip on the Cumbres Toltec Railroad. The staff was very kind and our little cabins were charming and clean. The kids played in the Rio Chama behind the lodge and loved it. We also reserved the fire pit and roasted marshmallows after dinner. The highway noise was a little annoying but the little extras made this a fun place to stay. We did not see a better choice in town.

• Stayed June 2006