“This place is a DUMP!!! Keep on Driving!!”

Elkhorn Lodge Chama
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Chama
Denver, Colorado
“This place is a DUMP!!! Keep on Driving!!”
Reviewed June 27, 2011

This place is a disaster. Do NOT stay here. Stayed in the motel part of the lodge and had two rooms traveling with my family and my brothers. Our room was dirty, stains on the comforter, shower barely had any water pressure, tv remote didn't even have a battery cover. Sent the kids to get more pillows and they come back with pillow cases that were ripped and blood stained. My brothers room pretty much same condition with a bonus of the fire alarm hanging from the ceiling with no battery in it. To top it all off had to put up with loud music both Friday and Saturday night until almost Midnight since no one monitors there "10-7" Quiet hours. Went and spoke with Jill the Owner to express my concerns and she did give us a discount on the rooms but really didn't make up for what we had to put up with. When I went to express my concerns the grumpy old guy at the desk did give us more pillow cases but they were worse than the ones we got before?? Soooo after a long day there after all of this finally go to take a shower and housekeeping leaves ONE towell in a room that has my wife and two kids in the room-- Back to the office we have to go to get towels?? I know we were not staying at the Four Seasons but you do expect to have a clean room, running water, clean sheets and a comfortable place to sleep. None of the that is true for this place so like the title says keep on driving on by this place because you will be very disappointed if you stay here.

Room Tip: Run Down, Dirt, No upkeep to the place at all.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Slick1KO

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Santa Fe, NM
Reviewed May 30, 2010

First, let me say that this review applies to Unit 43. There are many other rooms and cabins so our experience might not be typical. See final remarks at the end of the review. We stayed here because my wife wanted a near-camping experience, and a place where we could take our dog. Our daughter and SIL were with us.

The unit was a stand-alone cabin, with two bedrooms, 4 double beds, one bath, and a living area that combined kitchen, dining and sitting area. The kitchen has a refrigerator and gas range but no microwave. Thee were dishes, and plenty of utensils. The charge was about $140/night.

The good: Check in was quick and efficient. The staff were polite and friendly; they even had a small bag of treats for our dog. They charged $10 extra for our dog for our entire stay. The grounds are pleasant, with grass and tall trees, and the river nearby. Beds had box springs and mattresses, and were comfortable if you like a firm mattress. There is no daily makeup service but there were plenty of clean towels.

The bad: But from there it was downhill. The hot tub, that my wife was looking forward to for her back, was not working. The porch outside our room had wood rot. There was no latch on the screen door. No ice cube trays in the refrigerator. Fortunately, the weather was mild so we didn't need A/C (there is none) or heat (the only heat is in the living area, none in the bedrooms or bath). The thermostat for the heater was missing its cover. The ceiling height is 7 ft. so someone over 6 ft. tall might hit the light fixtures. One light fixture was missing its glass cover. In the bathroom, the walls around the tub/shower are painted, and some paint was peeling. There is an unfinished wooden shelf in the shower. The window over the kitchen sink was cracked, with Scotch tape over the cracks. The screen door had a torn screen but the 1 in. gap at the top of the door would admit large insects anyway. (Fortunately, there were no insects. There was one electric plug (2 outlets) in each bedroom; fortunately, I had a cube-tap and extension cord because a lamp and clock were plugged into the outlets. The hot and cold taps on the kitchen sink are reversed -- hot on the right, cold on the left. The sheetrock ceilings are taped and painted, not bedded, so all the taped joints are visible. The dining table would seat 6 but there were only 3 chairs and one was broken. The sofa needed cleaning. The TV was mounted over and facing the same way as the sofa so one can't sit on the sofa and watch TV. A note over the kitchen sink said to leave the dishes clean for the next occupant or leave $10 if we wanted housekeeping to clean the dishes. Lots of nail holes, screw holes, missing moldings, etc. There is no wi-fi/Internet (which we knew when booking). A cabinet with drawers and doors was missing half its knobs.

The ugly: The fire extinguisher on the wall outside iwas empty. The battery-operated smoke detectors had no batteries. Water from the kitchen sink drained into the yard and ran under the building.

Final remarks: Staff were genuinely concerned when we reported these problems. They said the unit had been closed for the winter, and the owner had not inspected it because of a death in the family two weeks before. They provided more chairs for the living area, and refunded one night of our two-night stay. Some units have concrete porches so don't have the wood rot we found. I checked another fire extinguisher and it was fully charged. There were many people staying there so I think it's likely that other units weren't in the shape ours was in. Nevertheless, with no daily makeup, and the rustic character of the room, we would look elsewhere next time.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed September 22, 2009

This hotel was just a roadside place. Not very nice, but was very clean. Even though it is right next to the Rio Chama, there are no rooms overlooking the river or taking advantage of any interest in the surroundings. The gravel parking lot runs right up to the front door. There seemed to be a lot of hunters staying there. While we were sitting on the minimal deck outside the front door, we were treated to the loud cell phone conversation of another guest standing in the parking lot, while he ran down women, Obama, Hispanics and gays. I don't think there are any nice places to stay in Chama. The town is pretty much a dump.

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Xzcycyk
Austin
Reviewed June 15, 2009

We booked the largest cabin at the Elkhorn Lodge a couple of weeks in advance. It was $119 for a 2 bedroom cabin with a kitchenette. When we got there, it was really a trailer home with terrible beds and pillows. The entire room felt slightly dingy, but we are in the mountains, so I ignored it. The rooms were spacious and had good blackout curtains on them to get the kids to bed early (in the summer). The heater worked very well and the water pressure was great. I would suggest they put a real shower curtain in, the one in the bathroom wasn't waterproof, so water got all over the floor. We weren't in the room much, but it looked like there were other places that were actually lodges, not just motels and trailers using the name lodge. I would recommend you check out another hotel, since they all seem to be in the same price range.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank mellonfamily
Salt Lake City
Reviewed June 10, 2009

My wife and I stayed in this place couple of days,and we can asured that we spent two beautiful days.The place is nice,clean and nobody around us bothered us even when busy.We found the room was ok and clean. If I want something fancy I will rent a suit in a Hilton Hotel;but this place to run away for things reminds us the everyday office,etc is perfect.In the matter of facts we're going back in July.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Camarillo
Reviewed September 28, 2008

Seemed OK on-line and I was shopping price so I called the gentleman at the desk who was very folksy and helpful. I booked 2 nights about 2 weeks in advance. We stayed in the motel section and the rooms are in very bad need of rehab. There is no internet service available. Stubbed my toe on a 2X4 block of wood holding one leg of the bed. Ouch! Coffee was available every morning near the office but always cold as ice. Guess it gets made once a week whether used or not. My wife thought the place was rustic..........what can I say? By the way, beware of the mongrel dogs. Looked mean and were big but someone said they were freindly. I stayed away from them while they roamed the premisis. To sum up, other motels in Chama were sold out. This one had lots of vacancies.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank bomre340
new mexico
Reviewed August 5, 2008

Ok, don't know where to even start!!! I called twice to comfirm my reservation, and both times they knew that I had a government discount, and when I went and paid for the room it was like $70.00 more than what they quoted me, and of course no one knew what they were doing, that Friday afternoon when we checked in the older lady that was working the front desk was awfully rude and started to yell at me in front of other customers, how good did that look??? The whole 3 days that we were there our t.v. didnt work, and I would have to call the front desk, and no one ever showed up to look at it, my 12 year old son would have to mess with it, like every 2 hours in order for it to continue working! NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!

• Disliked — the service!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank ymaestas