“Neat out of the way stop”

Casa Grande Trading Post & Petting Zoo
Ranked #4 of 11 things to do in Cerrillos
More attraction details
Owner description: Todd & Patricia Brown are owners of the Casa Grande Trading Post, Mining Museum and Petting Zoo. They live in a 19-room adobe hacienda that they built themselves. They make jewelry from rare Cerrillos Turquoise and Variscite from their two mining claims. The turquoise is brilliant green, while Cerrillos Variscite is white. They cut and polish the stones and set them in silver. Todd uses techniques developed when he first came to Cerrillos in 1970. Their son Andy follows his dad's footsteps, working with him at the mines. He is also as an artisan who does custom jewelry & repairs. Visit the Mining Museum, admission $2. A sprawling display on local history, prehistoric mining and territorial mines of the 1880's. Items include antique bottles, mine photos, tools, minerals and the unique finds of an 1880's Cerrillos outhouse dig. The Petting Zoo is a barn yard of several friendly goats, llama, chickens and pigeons. Animal food is for sale in the gift shop. Children enjoy the live entertainment and a stop will add to your adventures on The Turquoise Trail.
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I don't know what some of the other reviewers are talking about. We thoroughly enjoyed this place. Yes the museum is small, only takes about 20 min to go through, but it's only $2. The owner was nice to us. Maybe not what you think of as a petting zoo, the animals are behind a fence. But, you can still easily pet and feed them. There were goats, a llama, chickens, birds. They were all very friendly and would eat out of your hand. My 3 year old son loved them. Make sure you bring cash, no credit cards. Lots of rocks and jewelry. Neat because they tell you what mines everything is from.

Peleliu52, Owner at Casa Grande Trading Post & Petting Zoo, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2014

Glad you enjoyed your visit, that's what it's all about.

There are newer reviews for Casa Grande Trading Post & Petting Zoo

Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stopped in at the Trading post on the way to Alburquerque, and were very disappointed. The "petting zoo" has maybe 2 animals. The store looks cool, but is overpriced. The woman working there told me that if I was going to take pictures, to stop right there because she didn't want to stand there all day. I was definitely planning on buying something, but after that I just walked right out.

The owners shoot themselves in the foot with their rudeness - in a town where I'm sure the only money they make is off of tourists. The "museum" is basically the back room with all the junk they can't sell in the store, with no signs or explanations.

Skip over this town and go to Madrid.

1  Thank HannahMIchelle89
Peleliu52, Owner at Casa Grande Trading Post & Petting Zoo, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Instead of using your Cerrillos visit as a photo log of your trip, try to acknowledge the owners and ask if taking photos inside the shop is allowed. We allow photos if the customer is buying something. A trip to museum will give you many photo opportunities among the mining equipment & of the bottle collection in the windows. The museum holds many wonderful things. Be sure to visit again and see if your review changes.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Stopped at the extremely tiny petting zoo. It only has three goats, one llama, and a few chickens. I can't imagine a busload of school kids stopping here; they must've been fighting over who got to feed the animals.
I will say my kids had fun, and the animal feed was cheap: just $2 a bag. The petting zoo itself is thankfully free. Only a worthwhile stop if you're traveling with kids and/or have never been around farm animals before.

Glad you enjoyed the petting zoo. With the price of food these days we just keep a few animals. They add to our living hacienda.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

I went to visit family in Albuquerque and on the way back from a trip to Santa Fe drove through and stopped in this strange little ghost town. i found the history amazing and could almost put myself back in time. My brother who will start a converstation with anyone started asking the owner questions about all the great artifacts in the museum. He was not overly talkative at first but when he realized we were truely interested in his story a great conversation continued for over an hour. The owner stated he was originally from NY and was on his way to Mexico back in the 60's, stopped in Cerrillos and never left. We also found out that he was instrumental in the "marking" what was left of the towns historic buildings. He was an intersting character and this was part of my best trip ever, to New Mexico. My brother who has lived in NM for 28 years had never been to Cerrillos before this visit and has since gone back to hear more stories about this mining town from Todd.
Great place if you like to meet intersting people and are truly interested in the history of the town. I was facinated!

1  Thank Amy D
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We have been here twice - once in September 2007 and again in May 2013 - both times we found the owners Todd & Pat helpful and lovely and we are crazy about their museum. It isn't pretentious it takes you through both time and the process of mining. It is personal and taught us about life in the area as well as the family who built it with their own hands. The Brown's mine the turquoise found only here, sell it, and sell jewelry made from it - world wide. This place is a gem. We will go back every time we are in the area. The pricing is a steal compare to anything we saw in Santa Fe (that wasn't shipped in from China) We highly recommend a visit. Also while we don't have kids to report on the petting zoo we did see an entire school bus of young kids absolutely loving the petting zoo!

We're glad you enjoyed the place as much as we do. Hope to see you again.