“Yet Another Great Ride!”

Broken Saddle Riding Company
Ranked #1 of 12 things to do in Cerrillos
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Broken Saddle is one of the best places for a trail ride in North Central NM! This was our third or fourth visit and Harold and his crew once again made for a memorable afternoon ride. I truly appreciate the time they take to give everyone a quick, thorough lesson beforehand.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

My husband and I were in Santa Fe for a wedding and we wanted to do something outdoors for a few hours before we had to leave. We are really glad we chose a 2-hour ride with Broken Saddle. Rod led our tour and was patient and fun. We didn't realize we were going to get to see old mine shafts and vistas of the nearby mountain ranges, and learn about the history of the area, in addition to having an adventure and getting a ton of fresh air and sunshine! Even though my husband and I have different experience levels (I am an intermediate rider and he's a beginner), we were able to go together in one group and we both had fun. I can't imagine a better way to see the area.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Our trip to New Mexico included our wonderful day with Harold, Rod and Broken Saddle Riding Company. We called several weeks in advance to book our rides with no problems. Initially, I emailed to get more information and immediately received and response. The email said that I needed to speak directly with Harold to book our rides. His voicemail states that he is either tending to the horses or working with a customer. So, I left a message which was returned within about an hour. Harold explained what information he needed to know about each of us and once we gave him the required information our ride was scheduled on the day I requested. We also had planned to do a private balloon ride on Friday and the horseback riding on Sunday. When our Friday plans got canceled due to high wind I called Harold and asked if we could rearrange our date. He said it was no problem and he accommodated us within 4 hours of my phone call. Upon arrival at Broken Saddle, I immediately noticed that the horses are well groomed and taken care of. (Not always the case in other "commercial" stables). Harold was informative about the safety of the rider and the horse. He makes sure that you are on a horse that you can handle according to your riding skill.. He was quite pleasant and answered all of our questions. Our trail guide, Rod, was awesome!! He took us up into the hills and told us about the history of mining in the hills and about the different people who came to settle there. He talked about the different vegetation and wildlife in the area. He had us walk, rack and even trot some. Finally, he took us up to the top of the hills and showed us a most marvelous view of the area. Absolutely beautiful!! I highly recommend Harold and Broken Saddle for your next ride...wonderful people...awesome horses...beautiful country!!! Wonderful experience and well worth your time and money!!!

2  Thank Leslie F
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I can't say enough good things about Broken Saddle Riding Company. The groups are small. The trails are safe, beautiful and there are no rode crossings. The guides are knowledgable about horses in general, and the horses under their care specifically. Our family went on a 2 hour morning ride and the sunset ride, and both were excellent. As an experienced horse person and horse lover, I always book trail rides on vacation with my fingers crossed. We were overjoyed to witness the excellent care the horses received, and the fondness with which they were treated.
Our guides were exceptional. I felt very comfortable with my children riding under their care.
Our rides at Broken Saddle were the highlight of a wonderful vacation, and we look forward to returning their again.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

We had a wonderful time at Broken Saddle Riding Co. Harold was a great "coach" and trail ride leader. We are below "Beginner" level on horseback, but Harold spent just enough time teaching us the basics so we could relax and enjoy the stunning landscapes while handling our horses. Reality is the horses are beautiful and so well-trained they lead themselves and needed very little handing. All in all this was a fabulous experience and certainly a high-light of our weekend trip to Santa Fe. We would recommend this for adventurous and not so adventurous "kids" of all ages.
Thank you, Harold!!