“Broken Saddle is the best horseback riding experience!”

Broken Saddle Riding Company
Ranked #1 of 11 things to do in Cerrillos
Reviewed October 30, 2011

If you're visiting Santa Fe or ABQ, and you want to go horseback riding, take a ride at Broken Saddle. I have Harold, the owner, on speed dial and call him before I let my family known I'm coming down for a visit. His horses are toned athletes. They are Missouri Fox Trotters and Tennesse Walkers, and are so smooth, they make novice riders feel like pros! The wranglers are knowledgeable about the mines in the area where you ride, and take great care of the riders. (One even has appeared as an extra in several movies, most recently Cowboys and Aliens.) You can trot, lope, and even gallop depending on your skill level, up the hills and through the arroyos. The scenery is beautiful; you can see for 50 miles. This is the best adventure you can have in New Mexico. (The stores and museums on the plaza are interesting, but riding horses at Broken Saddle allows you to live history!) Rates are incredibly reasonable and bring cash or check.

2  Thank BarbT01
There are newer reviews for Broken Saddle Riding Company

Reviewed September 21, 2011

On both trips to Santa Fe, we have gone on trail rides at Broken Saddle. My boyfriend is not very horsey, while I am an experienced horsewoman and the 2 hour ride was easy enough for my boyfriend to be comfortable and still kept me from being bored. Harold's horses are well cared for and healthy and very good at their jobs. On the first ride, my boyfriend just loved the horse he rode, Roscoe, and when I booked the trail ride for our second trip over a year later, I mentioned to Harold that Roscoe was a hit with my boyfriend and when we pulled up, Roscoe was waiting for him. It was really kind of Harold to accomodate us. Our guide on the second trip was John and he was wonderful. He told us great stories and took pictures for us. Broken Saddle is not only the best trail riding company I have ever ridden with, but one of the better horse businesses I have had the pleasure of encountering.

1  Thank Margot C
Reviewed September 19, 2011

I took the 2 hour ride with sporadic cantering. My horse was just right for me. Harold/owner was our trail guide and did a terrific job pointing out interesting flora and landscape along the way as well as telling us the history of the area. I'd come back for sure!

1  Thank gobble2
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Whilst visiting Santa Fe over the Labor day break, my wife a very apt rider booked us for a group ride at Broken Saddle. That night I experienced what I thought was the start of my second heart attack. It luckily wasn't but I felt unwell the following day and called very early to inform them that my wife would be the only rider. I was told that would increase her cost by $15 as she was the only rider! No problem I said. The ride was at 11am. At 10.30 I realized that I had taken a wrong turning and my wife called to say that we were on our way but running a little behind but would be there before 11am. The owner, Harold said "thats it then", and hung up. My wife called back and asked if his hanging up signified that the ride was cancelled. His response was shocking. He said" if your husband had to much to drink last night it wasn't his problem" and we should look in the yellow pages for another stable. An unbelievably RUDE man and certainly not a business man. My advice is look in the Yellow Pages for another stable

3  Thank Andrew F
Reviewed August 21, 2011

My wife and I along with our two twentyish kids and a friend of the same age took a two-hour sunset ride. It was wonderful. Our guide, who is also the owner, was extremely knowledgeable, not only about the horses, but about the local history, geology, geography, and pretty much anything else one might think to ask. He was intelligent, kind, helpful, and conversational. He chose exactly the right horses for each of us, and he tailored the riding experience to our particular skill level. We cantered quite a lot, which was pretty unusual for this kind of trail ride. The countryside is "magical" northern New Mexican. Broken Saddle is a bit off the beaten path, but it's definitely worth the effort.

1  Thank Nev1tt