“YUMMMM!!!”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 16, 2011

Through all my travels this is the only restaurant that has not had an affect on my stomach. NO MSGs !!! The owner is extremely kind and the food is fabulous. It's like eating at home. The paintings (created by a local artist) on the wall can be purchased as can the jewelry at the counter. Very tastefully decorated and VERY clean.

7  Thank DLK0808

Reviewed March 30, 2010

El Paisano is a family owned and operated business. Every customer is given courteous attention. Not only is the restaurant clean, there is plenty to look at. I enjoyed browsing the jewelry and local art work. My favorite dish is the Red Chili Enchiladas. I consider myself a connoisseur of enchiladas, and trust me these are the best. They are made à la minute, completely from scratch, and without added fat or preservatives. They can be made vegan for you if you have health concerns or maintain a low fat diet. They are tender, there is plenty of flavorful sauce and just the right amount of cheese. The enchiladas also come with slow cooked beans and fresh made rice. If you plan on visiting Capitan make sure to stop in and treat yourself. You can also take your family, they have kid dishes. And don't forget to try the home made Apple Pie, it's delicious!

7  Thank LitefootNewMexico
Reviewed August 6, 2009

We were visiting the Smokey Bear Park and my son was hungry. We asked the desk clerk for food recommendation and this was one of the 3 she gave us. We get there and find about 12 tables with 4 open. It is not a self seating so we wait by the door 3-4 minutes before someone seats us. We wait at least another 5-6 minutes before they come back to take out drink order. I ask about the tenderness of the Chili Colorado and was told it was good. After about 10 minutes the waitress bring me a bowl full of green stuff. As she sets it in front of me - I tell her I ordered the Chili Colorado - she said that was she served me was the Chili Colorado. I am thinking - the only thing red her if the tomato slice. After a minute - she comes back and says - that isn't your dish and takes it back to the kitchen. She later brings me back a bowl or semi-red - ground beef with beans - stew. Not my idea of Mexcian Chili Colorado. My sister ordered cheese dip which was brought out after all our meals had been served. Overall a very disappointing experience.

2  Thank redt2play
Reviewed August 10, 2008

Through the years I have enjoyed my visits to this restaurant, but I have to say that after my visit on 08/09/08 I don't think I will be going back nor recommending it. I ordered chicken fajita, what I was served was a flavorlist soft chicken taco. Their was absolutely no fajita flavor and even very poor chicken taco, if that is what they thought they were serving me.

Reviewed September 19, 2007

El Paisano, located in the small town of Capitan, NM served us our best meal on a recent trip to the Ruidoso, NM area. In our group of 4, we all tried something different and were all immensely satisfied. The Green Chile Stew was appropriately hot (but not just blow-your-head-off hot, but appropriately flavorful), the rellenos were baked instead of friend which brought out the chile flavor more effectively (and was probably more healthful), and the enchiladas with red sauce were delicately flavorful and delicious. Even the chips and salsa showed attention to detail -- the chips seemed home-made and the salsa was just the right balance between heat and flavor. This wasn't exactly Tex-Mex, which is my usual favorite, but it was most definitely a good meal.

The small dining room was bright and cheerful, and the staff (which seemed to be primarily a husband and wife) gave competent and friendly service.

We look forward to returning on our next trip to NM!

5  Thank SDSUGRAD