“Not so great for the price”

Holiday Inn Express Alburquerque N - Bernalillo
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Bernalillo
Austin
“Not so great for the price”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed here once before, about four years ago. We had been impressed enough to decide to stay again without checking it out ahead of time, but we'll skip it next time for sure. Here's why:

When we arrived at 9:30pm after having gotten a room reserved earlier that day over the phone, we waited for 15 minutes for someone to come to the front desk to check us in. They had left the "We are helping other guests" sign on the counter. I understand the need to help others, but 15 minutes and nobody was there. We knocked on the "staff only" door next to the reception area. I called the hotel number from my cell phone to see if anyone would pick up. No answer to either effort. And there were people lining up, waiting. At least two of them were looking for a room, and they left. This seems like a staffing blunder on the part of management.

When the young lady staffing the desk returned I took note of her name (Melissa). She was pleasant enough, but only gave us one key. I was so tired that didn't realize it until we got upstairs. When I returned downstairs to get a second key for my family there was a long line of people, so I just gave up. It didn't really matter I guess, but isn't it common to at least ask how many keys are needed?

The room was an "accessible" room, which was fine. I didn't ask for that, but I guess they need to sell those, too. However, I usually acquire such rooms at a discount via sites like hotels.com. Instead, we had opted to simply call and reserve a room without using a discount service. I wish I had just gone to hotels.com now. Anyway, the room was spacious, but the beds were not as comfortable as I would expect for the price. I think there was a queen and a double bed rather than two queens. I discovered this in the morning - we were too tired to pay attention as we fell into bed. The bed my husband and I shared seemed small for a queen (which we have at home), and it moved a lot any time one of us turned. The pillows were good as was the bedding itself. I just wish the bed had been less shaky and of higher mattress quality.

When I got on the elevator in the morning it REEKED of bacon. The food service area also reeked of bacon. Ventilation seems to be an issue. Don't get me wrong - I like bacon. I just don't like it when the smell is overwhelming the entire area. While we had other plans for breakfast, I took a look at the food. It was fine - typical HIE fare. But the garbage can was overflowing. It was only 7:30am.

I spent some time in the sitting area of the lobby reading and sipping coffee while my family slept in. Luckily there was an open window and I escaped the bacon smell. When I arrived in the lobby the TV was tuned to MTV - and the woman on the screen was talking about something less than savory regarding male body parts. Wow.... good thing young children weren't around. I turned it off. Nobody complained. These are the kind of details that need to be considered when running a hotel frequented by families. I suspect the night staff had it on for entertainment, but when morning comes they really should turn it to something less titillating than MTV.

Anyway, we got an ok night's sleep, but we could have done that at any number of other local hotels for less. We could have just gone another 30-40 minutes into ABQ to another hotel that we stayed at on the first leg of our journey (better service, better beds, better staffing, same price), but we were tired and wanted to stop, and our first experience here was nothing like this one. Now we know better!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Trooper88
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Alburquerque N - Bernalillo, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Trooper88,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. We always try our best to ensure we meet our guests needs & expectations and on this occasion we apologize for your disappointment with the service you received and the beds. Please remain assured that we have recorded your comments and will forward it to the appropriate departments for future considerations. Despite your disappointment we do hope you will stay with us again when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Excellent staff! The hotel itself is very clean and modern. the pool area is great. it is indoors and very clean. A bit difficult to figure out which road to take to get to it. Nice, big, bathroom. Beds were very comfortable. The price was reasonable and about average for Holiday Inn Ex. Really enjoyed our stay there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Marcia M, Regional Director of Operations at Holiday Inn Express Alburquerque N - Bernalillo, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Greetings!

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! We are so happy to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for your comments regarding our staff; I have passed along your review to our entire staff to read. We are glad that you found your room accommodations clean and comfortable. We look forward to your next visit from Nashville. Have a great rest of your summer and we will see you soon.

Warm Regards,

Marcia McDowell
Regional Director of Operations
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Back of the building view is of a field and local neighborhood. Front views are a busy street. The beds were very comfortable. The express breakfast was standard Holiday Inn Express breakfast. However, the attendant was very efficient in keeping food re-stocked. We didn’t use it but we found out that there is a free shuttle to a casino.

Room Tip: Become a Priority Rewards Member. Back of the building view is of a field and local neighborhood...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
spidey78, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Alburquerque N - Bernalillo, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Hello, thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. In your next visit we can recommend really good local restaurants in the area. Also we are scheduled for a remodel of the hotel so you should see new amenities and features when you return. We hope that next time you also get to use the shuttle and have some fun out our local casino. Again, thank you for your business and we'll see you soon!
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I stayed there only one night and never again. Got in the elevator to go to my room and was greeted with odors that would knock you off your feet - floor cleaning solvents. Got out of the elevator and the odor much stronger that I started being nauseated. To make the room tolerable I had to stuff towels under the door and open a window to hear highway traffic all night. The window did not have a screen and there come the Mosquitos.

I woke up with bites on my arms, face, legs and back. I suspected bed bugs. Few days later I responded to a review on the corporate website. Instead of publishing my review, they referred it to the property owner. The property owner contacted me to provide explanations, but nothing to my satisfaction. According, to the property management, they went as far as bring in an exterminator who examined the bed and found it clear for bed bugs. I was emailed a signed letter claiming that the room was bed bugs free. I was not convinced as I was the one who had the bites and bumps on my skin.

This property had many complaints before and well prepared with ready made responses. My decision is to never stay there again.

Thank you TripAdvisor for helping me make my voice herd since the Corporate Customer service for Holiday Inn has not chosen to publish by referring my complaints to the property which better prepared to respond and dodge the issue.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else. Albuquerque and Santa Fe are only 30 minutes away is either direction.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Rick M
spidey78, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Alburquerque N - Bernalillo, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Hello,
I do apologize that your stay was less than satisfactory. I would like to assure you that all the chemicals that are used in our hotel have been approved as safe. The hotel does not have any bed bug issues and it has been cleared Rio Rancho Pest Solutions. We do take every concern very serious as we are constantly improving for our guest satisfaction. Again, I apologize for any inconvenience that you experienced. I thank you for staying with us and may you have a pleasant day!
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I really liked this motel. As far as Holidays Inns go, this is an especially nice one. Room was beautiful, nice pool, good breakfast with large selection, front desk was polite and helpful. Overall a very good experience! Would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
spidey78, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Alburquerque N - Bernalillo, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Hello, first I would like to thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review.
I'm glad you and your family had a great time at our hotel and that you were happy with the accomodation we gave you. In the future we can recommend local and good restaurants in our area we know you guys are going to like them. Also we are going to remodel pretty soon and we would love to host you again . We are going to have new amenities and we know you are going to love them. Again thank you and we'll see you soon!!!!!
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Reviewed February 17, 2013

So, 2nd time staying here and 2nd time the front desk help was below par. I am a Platinum member and stay at Hoiliday Inns between 70 to 80 days a year, so when I use a reward night I except the same professionalism and quality I get when paying. Which is about 10K per year by the way... So, when I reserve a single bed room for a overnight getaway for the wife and I, I do not appreciate a "your not paying for it anyway," comment or "the double bed room is all we provide for reward nights." I clearly reserved a single bed room online!!

In the future, maybe just say "thank you for being a platinum member," and give me my room key. I won't even ask about an upgrade or even a bottle of water ...

There will be no 3rd time for me!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Greg W
spidey78, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Alburquerque N - Bernalillo, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
First I would like to thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to do the survey. I do apologize that your stay was less than satisfactory. Please be assured that your issues have been addressed, and more important we are working hard to improve our staff response to all of our guest needs. Your survey is greatly appreciated as it is how we can improve for you and our guests. Again, thank you and we hope you give us the apportunity to host you again.
Medford, Oregon
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We were passing through the area and stayed here one night. The hotel is very accommodating. We arrive early and they rushed to ready a room for us. The hotel appears to be very popular. The beds were comfortable and the room was very clean. Breakfast had a large selection.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cheryl C
spidey78, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Alburquerque N - Bernalillo, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Hello, thank you for taking the time to write a review, we are looking forward to host you again. In your next visit we can recommend really good restaurants and some local attractions. Also we are scheduled for a remodel of the hotel so you should see new amenaties and features when you return. Again, thank you and we'll see you soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bernalillo
Hyatt Regency Tamaya Resort & Spa
Courtyard Albuquerque
Courtyard Albuquerque
#56 of 144 in Albuquerque
Hampton Inn & Suites Albuquerque North/I-25

Been to Holiday Inn Express Alburquerque N - Bernalillo? Share your experiences!