“Casino Style”

Santa Ana Star Casino
More attraction details
Owner description: With over 1,500 of the loosest slot machines and the friendliest table games dealers, The Star is New Mexico’s Best Bet.
Reviewed May 19, 2014

I went here to order a yummy take away breakfast burrito at the famous Sadies but I want also to look around the casino and quickly play the gambling machines. I don't gamble but I just want to live out the fantasy of gambling in a casino. Because these machines are modern and electronic I didn't have a clue what I was doing. You put dollar bills in the machines and push flashing buttons! I like the slot machine in the cowboy films they called the one arm bandit and you put quarters into and if you won you would get a bucket full of change.But in the modern world its all electronic.Many of the casinos are built on native Indian land and that is why people can smoke in casinos because they are not subjected to american laws. I have also heard that some of the profits of the casinos go to good causes on the reservations. So some charitable good comes from these gambling parlours.

1  Thank Craig R

Reviewed October 21, 2013

It appears to the observer that you must be a smoker to visit this casino. They have a very small non-smoking section that is not closed off from the rest of the casino, so the smoke smell, second hand and third hand smoke is well permeated throughout. The main casino is filled with lots of locals, all with a cigarette in their mouth--I honestly couldn't believe how many people were smoking! Some of them are so engrossed with the games that they don't even realize that they didn't light it yet or that it has burned down to the butt! By quick glance of the area, most of the patrons here can't afford to be here. To get to the restaurants with the exception of Sadie's you have to go thru the casino. We went here specifically for the Fiesta Buffet and basically picked a door as close to the restaurant as possible to avoid the smoke as we darted to the entrance of the buffet. The air ventilation in the casino isn't anything like Vegas--the glass doors have a horrible haze on them from all the residue. The machines appeared "tight" didn't hear too many of them paying out. The bathrooms are very clean and there is a refreshment area where you can get complimentary fountain drinks and coffee. We had planned to play the slots while waiting for the buffet to open, but couldn't handle the smoke and instead went outside the casino into the fresh air and waited.

3  Thank Nancy C
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I've been there with 5 family members, we had their seafood buffet on Friday night, that was great, my family like it very much except a little bit expensive. I highly recommend!

Reviewed October 1, 2013

It was fairly quiet but we had a great BLT sandwich at the grill. He played blackjack, and we also played about $40 worth of video poker. Those machines are crazy and waaaay tight. It looks like a local place, which is good. Quick 90 minute visit.

1  Thank techgmu
Reviewed August 18, 2013

The restrauant was not worth it. Waitress did not bring back our 50 dollar change. Reported her to a manager and she argued with us. What happened to customer service.

4  Thank PattyMarie35