“Fine vegetarian selection on a rooftop terrace”

Restaurant Mangalemi
Ranked #2 of 39 Restaurants in Berat
Cuisines: Albanian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Staying one night in lovely Berat, we chose Mangalemi based on Tripadvisor reviews. The setting is wonderful in an old house on the way to the castle. It was nice having the supper on the rooftop terrace. Food was nice too: the vegetarian selection samples the nice meet-free dishes on the menu and is succulent. We tried a local white wine, E Bardha e Beratit from Cobo, and it was a discovery. Effective service, very reasonably priced.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Ambiance was good and it seemed like the best restaurant in the area. The total cost of our meal was 3820 Leks (<30 EUR) and we had chicken filet with cream and mushroom, roasted beef. It was nice. The meal also included some drinks and dessert.

Overall I felt it was very affordable and the food was good. It was a bit warm though - We were sitting at the upper level and there was no air-con. The basement had one though, but we were asked to sit on top. Service was good as well.

1  Thank gbtl
Reviewed June 15, 2013

This is the best meal I had in my visit to Albania. We happened to also book this hotel for our one night stay and the setting of this historical place is amazing. It's nice and cosy, as well as classic and warm. The restaurant has a nice interior with wooden furniture.

We were hungry when we checked in so we decided to grab lunch at the hotel's restaurant. We ordered stuffed eggplants and chicken on skewers and both dishes were well spiced and tasted delicious. The portion was not huge and the prices were not on the cheap on Albanian standards but the quality of food was worth it.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

We ate here after a long drive from Ohrid and a three hour tour of the castle and other parts of the city, so we were very hungry. We ate on the roof on a beautiful late afternoon and enjoyed our view as we waited. We shared an appetizer of grilled hard cheese and it went largely uneaten. It was not particularly flavorful and did not come close to some grilled soft cheese we'd eaten in Ohrid. My wife had the red salad (beets, carrots and red cabbage) and I had the rustic salad (tomato, cucumber, onion, hot pepper stuffed with cheese) and they were okay, other than the stuffed pepper with cheese which I really enjoyed. For a main dish, my wife got tave kosi, lamb baked in yogurt and egg. It was very different from anything we've ever eaten before. It was mild, had a pleasing texture and a unique presentation. I am adventurous and wanted to try the kakorec, grilled lamb intestine, but was concerned I would not like it and was very hungry. So I ordered a half order of it and another dish of baked lamb. I was pleasantly surprised at how good the lamb intestines were. There was no off-putting smell or taste and the texture was pleasing. The lamb and baked potatoes that came with it were good. We shared an order of kataifi for dessert which looks like a cross between a sea cucumber and some shredded wheat. It is largely phyllo dough and syrup and has similarities to the taste of baklava. It looked horrible, but tasted great. I base my rating on the combination of the nice location, nice setting, including the restaurant and its ambiance, the nice selection of traditional food, the English descriptions on the menu and lastly the food. The food itself is probably a 3, but because of the unusual nature of it and the presentation, with all other things added together, brings it up to a 4.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

traditionnal food at a good price , nice atmosphere with albanian people surrounding us , nice setting and friendly service