“O sole mio! It's Lorenc.”

and 1 more site!
Lorenc Guesthouse & Hostel Gorica
Ranked #2 of 23 Specialty Lodging in Berat
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Staying here is more of an experience than just somewhere to stay .The house is full of history and the garden a small vineyard. Lorenc has a small bar area set up where he will sing O Sole Mio to you.
It's a short walk into town and there is an interesting market 100 yards down the hill on a Saturday. Thankfully at the moment there are no bunkbeds, and the meals are excellent, all made with fresh local produce. His mother is a lovely lady and all in all Lorenc makes you feel at home and special. Everything is nice and clean. I was only going to stay for two nights but ended up staying for five! It's a nice place in a very interesting and friendly town. I am considering coming again next year.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Dorsetbruce

Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

Lorenc has made a great welcoming place inside an old ottoman home. It is an amazing thing staying there. The hospitality is fantastic and breakfast tasty.

Don't think Berat has a better place to stay. Good luck!

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 7, 2012

This is the best, most personal, most service minded hostel/guest house I have ever been at. You feel more like you are at your best friends place than in a foreign place! The sign is small though. Take the second street to your left after the second bridge to find the place. Lorenc is perfect host and his mother is doing the outmost to make you feel at home. The house itself is also full of history, ask for a tour of the house,if you want to know all about it!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We were a family of 4 passing through Berat on our way from Tirana to Himarë, and stayed for 2 nights. We were received with great hospitality and friendliness. The guesthouse is on the northern shore of the river, in the Gorica quarter. Our room overlooked the lower slope of the Gorica hillside, and the river and stone bridge beyond, and the mountain behind that. The house is just amazing. Massive walls that keep the rooms cool even in August (so no airconditioning), a little labyrinth of rooms, alleyways, and stairs, and a vineyard garden. The walk to the Mangalemi quarter and the Kale fortress is pleasant, and Berat is a joy to explore. Our daughters were eager to finally go to the sea, but were sorry to leave the guesthouse. So I guess the only downside was that Berat is not actually on a beach by the seaside ;-)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Tim_Zwaagstra
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed here with our three children for two nights, en route from Greece to the UK. We got a private room with shared bathroom, and loved the vine-covered garden where we relaxed in the mornings over breakfast, in the afternoons over tea and in the evenings over specially-cooked dinners - the fish was particualrly good.

Lorenc is a wonderful host - extremely helpful on arrival with parking and luggage; more than eady to chat about Albania over a beer and sing to you in the garden (which the children loved!). His mother is a superb cook (the fish and pasta got a huge thumbs up from our girls, as did the eggy bread at breakfast) and a lovely lady who clearly enjoyed having children to stay. Lorenc was also great with the children, and gave our daughter a CD of his recordings to take away! The cat with newborn kittens only added to the excitement.

Berat was our only stop in Albania, and we found it be quite unique and an unforgettable experience.

Room Tip: Be aware that this is a hostel rather than a hotel - there is one shared bathroom for all guests. Do...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank loswebbs
Reviewed June 2, 2012

We had a wonderful time in Berat and were treated like family by Lorenc and Mamma. The house is really interesting and Lorenc is doing great work to preserve and enhance it. The garden is ideal to sit and relax, and sample some homemade treats and Raki. We were torn between talking with Lorenc about the house, the area and Albania past and present, and wanting just to chill out by ourselves with some wine in a very peaceful place. Not a bad conundrum in which to find oneself.

The place is not at all fancy and is more hostel than B&B (hence my rating of 4 rather than 5), although Lorenc does provide a private room for couples who request it; but it's not that private and the bath is shared. Also, there are many steps so it would not be appropriate for those with mobility issues. But if you want to meet a real person and stay in an authentic, original Berat house, this will help make your trip even more memorable. Lorence even took us into a couple of local churches, including Kisha e shen Mehillit halfway up the hill to the Kala, where he had to stop and get someone to come with the key. You don't get that kind of personal service everywhere.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sjacobs07
Reviewed April 1, 2012

+ Lorenc's mother is an amazing cook. She fed me home-made spinach burek, even though I had my own lunch, I have never liked spinach burek, but I realised that is because I have been eating overcooked spinach in burek all my life until I tasted this woman's burek.
+ Everytime, I am back at the hostel, she will feed me home-made fruits (cherry, orange) in sugar syrup. I am not fond of sweets, but a taste of this will make any dessert chef weep with shame and beat a path to her door. I ate every morsel of it, including scraping the syrup from the plate.
+ She even offered to cook dinner. She asked me what I wanted to eat. She is a good cook and the generosity of the portion she provides surpassed the amount of money she asked for.
+ She turned down the bed. Lorenc brought me a hot water bottle for the night.
+ I felt like I was being with family. The kind of service she provided is a rarity in this world we lived in.

Room Tip: There are 3 rooms, 1 with a double bed, 2 rooms with 4-5 beds. There is 1 bathroom to be shared amo...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo