“Deff not a typical hilton”

Hilton Woodcliff Lake
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Woodcliff Lake
Reviewed November 23, 2011

I am a frequent guest at The Hilton. It seems like every two weeks I come there is someone new at the front desk who doesn't seem to know what they are doing making it very difficult for the frequent traveler.

Customer Service is excellent except when you need to complain about something. I have gone to the front desk before the staff don't really seem to know what to do during a complaint. They just say "ok" and push you off or "we will make a note of it". If you complain during a busy time of day the manager's literately cut into the conversation your having with the desk staff just ask if your a Hilton honors member and provide bonus points just to get you out of their face rather than actually take care of the problem. I have not been to The Hilton in about a month and just came back this week and the only people that seemed to knew customer service is Morgan D. and David I (In which I recently was told he has moved on) and the little short girl who has been at the Hilton a long time. Im sorry I did not get the last names. They actually seemed to listen to my complain rather than to shut me out as fast as they can. They also follow up on my complaint and made sure the problem was resolved. I was locked out of my room and they both took the time to come themselves to my room and let me in so I wouldn't have to walk all the way back to the front desk. To me, that's excellent customer service. Not just providing free points because that does not fix the problem for the next guest who may be more arrogant!

The rooms themselves are very out dated. They keep saying that they are going through a renovation but I guess I will believe it when I see it. The heaters/AC unit are very old and make a lot of noise. The shower curtains needs to be replaced and I personally think that housekeeping needs to spend more time in the bathroom and under the beds.

Saffron is pretty good food but sometimes doesn't function at all like a typical restaurant and i often find my self being seated by the front desk staff rather than the host/hostess. But the food is ok.

The only reason I go to the hotel is it's proximity to my work and knowing that those 3 (now 2) individuals care enough about the property and the guests; that i keep coming back. If you have a problem go to them, they will solve it and with care. If it were not for them and the close proximity to work I would recommend somewhere else!

Room Tip: Book a Deluxe room to have a better change of getting the executive room. Don't ask for first f...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Lou G, Manager at Hilton Woodcliff Lake, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2011

Dear jwhp2645,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Hilton Woodcliff Lake. We truly appreciate your feedback in our measures to assure any issues are treated with upmost care and consideration. Your comments in regards to Morgan D., David I., and Elizabeth will be forward to them so they may have the recognition of great customer service.

We are in full motion with our exterior renovation and completing our room renovation in 2012. All of our rooms and focus on the HVAC units should be renovated by the end of the 1st quarter.

Reviewed November 13, 2011

I am writing this the morning after a horrible night's sleep. I find it amazing that Hilton would have a hotel bed that was this bad. My wife and I had to sleep on the very edge or else fell right to the middle. Really a terrible bed. When we went to the front desk to complain, we were told "ok, we'll make a note of it". Other than that the hotel is very nice but I really am upset about the horrible bed.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family

Dear Mitch Ratner,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Hilton Woodcliff Lake. We truly appreciate your feedback and apologize for the discomfort of our bed. This has been addressed and with our renovations in full motioned I assure you that this correction will be made.

We have modified your recent stay to reflect this inconvenience.

Reviewed October 6, 2011

The internet was very slow. The hotel was nowhere. The business center charged for service. The restaurant was uninspiring. My colleague reported that the the upper level floor was not well maintained. I noted that the main floor had not been completely vacuumed on one of the days I was there. (I noted the same bit of debris on the rug two days in a row in the hall.) The room was large an well arranged for the business traveler. There was a good sized desk on which to do my work. There was a good sized refrigerator for my soft drinks. The bathroom had a very large counter. The staff was very pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: Second floor was great. A room farther from the lobby and bar was quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Paloki80

Dear Paloki80,

Thank you for staying with us and giving us your feedback on your most recent stay. We are in our first phase of renovation with the exterior being completed in two months and then our in room renovations should be complete by mid 2012.
Thank you for addressing your concerns about our wifi. and we do appreciate your comments in regards to our helpful customer service.

Thank you for your loyalty and we hope to have you stay with us again

Reviewed October 3, 2011

Stayed 5 nights for a high school reunion. While there, they had 2 weddings and two Jewish groups from New York there to celebrate Jewish New Years. Everyone seems to be well satisfied. I found the staff to be very accomodating and helpful. There is wifi everywhere and in the rooms and it worked perfectly for me. I had a King Size bed, and it was comfortable and the room was large.

Our reunion events including cocktail hours and hors d' oeuvres were plentiful and decent, and the buffet dinner was adequate. They have a good bar with plenty of tv's, a good restaurant with a decent Sunday morning brunch and Starbucks coffee.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank rogerjm
Lou G, Manager at Hilton Woodcliff Lake, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2011

Dear rogerjm,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Hilton Woodcliff Lake. We truly appreciate that your reunion was enjoyable and do look forward to welcoming you and your classmates again for the next reunion.

Reviewed October 2, 2011

We highly recommend this venue to anyone looking for a North Jersey wedding!!

Our original wedding reception cancelled on us 3 weeks before our wedding. We were extremely lucky to get in contact with Loretta and the Hilton Woodcliff Lake staff. Not only did they have our original date available but the difference in service between our original reception and HWL was night and day. The Hilton Woodcliff Lake staff treated us like royalty throughout the entire wedding process.

The food served during our wedding is equivalent to a 5 star NYC restaurant. The chef, Cliff, is not only very talented but also very friendly. Our guest stuffed up during the cocktail hour and loved dinner. Until now, our friends and family still talk about how great the food and service was on our wedding.

The ballroom is drop dead gorgeous! Very high ceilings and stunning chandeliers. The dance floor is HUGE. Probably the biggest dance floor in any wedding venue in North Jersey.

Thank you Hilton Woodcliff Lake for making our dream wedding come true!

**Hotel Room note: VERY clean and room service was amazing! Not only did they offer us the largest suite for free on the night of the wedding, they also gave it to us the night before. What an experience!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Jesse C
Reviewed October 1, 2011

I have stayed at this hilton 3 times in the past few months. The property is nice and the staff are very accommodating. I've stayed 3 times because it is very convenient for my work. However, if you are traveling on business, and require wi-fi, this hotel will be a disappointment. Basically, only the wi-fi in the lobby is useful. In the rooms, a wi-fi connection is pitiful to nonexistent. Also, the hotel is starting to show it's age; the ground floor (designated as first floor) needs an upgrade. The fitness rooms are poorly ventilated and the machines are dirty (although all seemed functional).

Room Tip: The rooms that overlook the wooded areas are probably best, otherwise all the rooms are fairly gener...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business

Dear blondeq,

Thank you for addressing your concerns about our wifi. I assure you that we are looking into every avenue to make sure all of our guest enjoy the comfort of wireless connectivity within their rooms.
The Hilton Woodcliff Lake strives for the best customer service.

Thank you for your loyalty and we hope to have you stay with us again

Reviewed September 30, 2011

My husband & I had a good stay here. We were coming from a football game & found this hotel on a Hilton website. I made the reservation online and was given the opportunity to apply for a standby upgrade. (Which meant to pay an extra $ amount if awarded on arrival.) It sounded like a great deal & it was. So we received a concierge room & the buffett breakfast since it was a Sunday.

The concierge room was large and had a comfy bed, thick soft towels, a fridge, microwave, hairdryer, Peter Thomas Roth toiletries, and a massaging soap bar. The breakfast selections were excellent with lots to chose from. It included fresh fruit, juices, coffee, tea, oatmeal, cereals, hot foods (eggs, bacon, French toast, etc.) and made to order omelets.

The personnel were outstanding from the moment we arrived. We received a warm welcome & a very efficient check in. The staff at breakfast were also excellent. The hotel was a bit more expensive than we'd normally spend for one overnight esp. since we'd arrived after 9 pm & left mid morning to drive home. The bathroom was on the small side & had only 1 sink. However, the hotel was not next to a loud highway , it had lovely grounds and it had free parking which many of the hotels I looked at did not. Add to that the special offer & it was good value.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Virginia2,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at the Hilton Woodcliff Lake. We truly appreciate that you were able to experience our property and service. Every member of the Hilton Woodcliff Lake takes pride in customer service for this is our home as well as yours.

We are in the midst of our exterior renovation and starting our in-room renovation early 2012. I hope that you will have the pleasure of staying in one of newly renovated rooms in 2012.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodcliff Lake
Residence Inn Saddle River
Residence Inn Saddle River
#1 of 1 in Saddle River
Hyatt Place Fair Lawn Paramus

Been to Hilton Woodcliff Lake? Share your experiences!